Need help installing skins

I'm happy to see some Apache skins out already, and I downloaded one for installation.

The install path given in the Readme is X:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\CoreMods\aircraft\AH-64D\Liveries\AH-64D_BLK_II. All was well until I got to Aircraft, which to my considerable surprise did not have an AH-64 folder.  So, I created one, then Liveries, then AH-64D_BLK_II,and dropped the files in there. However, DCS is not showing it on the drop down in Armament in 'pit.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

1 hour ago, Airwolf466 said:

The install path given in the Readme is X:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\CoreMods\aircraft\AH-64D\Liveries\AH-64D_BLK_II.

I place mine at /Saved Games/DCS.openbeta/Liveries/AH-64D_BLK_II and it works correctly:

wL3Gfot.jpg

• Thanks 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

GR, thanks for the reply. I did not have the open beta, just the regular non-Steam DCS World. I'm downloading the Beta now. 

This Beta  concept is new to me. It looks like it's copying the files from my regular DCS World. Duplicating it, from the looks of the HDD space it's taking. Is this the case, and if so do I delete the original DCS World when done?

23 minutes ago, Airwolf466 said:

It looks like it's copying the files from my regular DCS World. Duplicating it, from the looks of the HDD space it's taking. Is this the case, and if so do I delete the original DCS World when done?

Yes, if there is another DCS installed (I pay special attention to the INSTALLED, and not obtained by copying!) on your PC, the updater takes the appropriate files from there and does not download them. I usually prefer to convert the regular DCS onto Openbeta, as it saves space and keeps your existing configuration (controls, logbook, etc) ... see here for more info:

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

I've been afk for a couple of days, now back on the project. I tried just switching the modules but kept running into  "not enough storage". So, I skipped that step and now Beta is currently downloading what looks like all the files. Assuming everything works, then what is the best way to delete/uninstall regular DCS World? Thx for all the help

Screenshot (22).png

Update: While Beta continues to download I've been educating myself on the whole Beta vs. stable thing. I think I know how to delete the stable version. Based on what I've read, I've backed up my Saved Games folder(just in case).  

I'm going to test fly Beta before I delete the stable( I have just enough HDD space to have beta and stable). I'm hoping I won't have to redo  HOTAS setups in Beta !

3 minutes ago, Airwolf466 said:

I'm hoping I won't have to redo  HOTAS setups in Beta

If you backed up your previous /Saved Games/DCS/ folder, then you can restore the Control bindings from the backup. 

It would have been simpler to just convert your Stable DCS into Openbeta, as it would have required less disk space and kept intact your user configuration (controls, logbook, Campaign Status, etc), but I see that you are already on the full reinstall approach.

Unfortunately, yes. The main problem I had was a lack of sufficient HDD space to simply transfer everything. I simply ran out of space. Fortunately , DCS let me re-download and install what I couldn't transfer, after I had deleted DCS stable to make the room for it. I leave it to you if you want to explain how to convert to anyone who would definitely benefit from said info.

Meanwhile, for those of us doing on-the job training... I was able to restore the control bindings from Config in the Saved Games/DCS folder.  Getting back to the original project(downloading skins) , regarding your path  /Saved Games/DCS.openbeta/Liveries/AH-64D_BLK_II  , do you mean  xdrive/users/my name/... ? I ask because the Saved Games/open beta path doesn't have a Livery folder.. Plus, the folders I created  X:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\CoreMods\aircraft\AH-64D\Liveries\AH-64D_BLK_II.(see post 1) are still there, but the skin does not some up in-game

in the saved games, create the missing folders...also run a repair and do the slow version (be sure to set aside at least 30-45 minutes of non-DCS play time) that will get rid of the files...

they are saved in a "_backup00x" folder (Main DCS Folder), so you can review and move them out of the DCS main folder into either saved games or delete them

Edited by MPalmer

Marvin "Cactus" Palmer

DCS:World 2.5(ob)

Gigabyte Z390 Designare i7-9700K (4.6GHz), 32Gb RAM (3600MHz), GTX2070, 40" 1080p Monitor, TM Warthog, Saitek Rudder pedals,TM Cougar MFD, and an ipad.

1 hour ago, Airwolf466 said:

... regarding your path  /Saved Games/DCS.openbeta/Liveries/AH-64D_BLK_II  , do you mean  xdrive/users/my name/... ? I ask because the Saved Games/open beta path doesn't have a Livery folder.. 

I meant the path that's usually at C:\Users\your-user\Saved Games\ ...  the first time that you run DCS it will create a DCS or DCS.openbeta folder on that path, to store all of the users configurations. Some of the sub-folders that it will create inside it are:

\Config\   contains the game options, graphics settings, monitor setup, network settings, your user credentials, etc.

\Config\Input\   contains the control bindings that you set for your different aircrafts.

\Config\View\   contains your view settings and custom snapviews.

\Logs\   contains logs to use when debbuging or for crash analysis.

\MissionEditor\   Here are your custom payloads for each aircraft, your logbook with your campaigns progress, etc.

\Screenshots\   Default folder to store in-game screenshots.

\Tracks\   Here the track replays are stored.

\metashaders2\   Here DCS stores pre-compiled graphic shaders.

Here DCS also allows you to save customization data, but you have to manually create their folders, using the regular tools of windows file manager:

\Liveries\   To store custom liveries for each unit, including AI units and your aircrafts. Custom cockpits also go here.

\Missions\   Here you can store your own missions, or missions that you download from the Internet.

\StaticTemplate\   Mission makers can store here Static Templates, that are like building blocks for creating missions.

Best regards

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1