Running Rudder Pedals with a Leg Disability.

I have just today received my new "Ace Collection Rudder Pedals" from Virpil Controls. These pedals are a replacement for Thrustmaster T16000 pedals I've been using for a few years. 20220331_141232.jpg

Above: The 2 pedals in question. 

I've spoken some about my disability in a post in the Virpil Controls section. I wouldn't rehash it all again, but in short, I have a disability called Drop Foot on my left leg. (See images) 

This is a result of a gunshot wound while in the Army and serving in Iraq. The GSW caused compartment syndrome, which crushed the muscle, nerve, and connective tissue in my leg with pressure as the blood flowed into the leg but could not pump out because of a severed vein. (Femoral Vein)  

I can't lift my toes, and my ankle is sort of fused, and only moves if I move it with my hand or press it against something. I also lack proper touch sensitivity. It's either hypersensitive, or can't feel anything, depending on the time of day, Barometric pressure, how much I've used the leg today, and a whole bunch of other things. 

Okay, so that's the problem. (Don't bother to comment saying I could fly with a twist stick, that's just trolling. I can't. Doesn't work for me. I fly with pedals. and I own a manual transmission 1985 Jeep and as well as my other car. Yeah, I can drive a stick.) While I can fly with rudder pedals, some pedals are easier than others. For example in the pictures you can see the comparison in width of pedals between the Virpil pedals and the Thrustmaster T16000 model. So apart from overall build quality, which the Virpl pedals win hands down without question by a mile... The wider pedals are much more comfortable. 

The virpil pedals are about 2-3 inches taller in overall height, and about 4 inches wider throw, maybe less, but it feels like double. Each footrest on the virpil is much more comfortable as the pedal angel at which it sits in the resting position is higher on the ThrustMaster. When I rested my left foot on the TM pedals, it sort of pinched something in my ankle or leg. I don't know because My leg lies to me all the time, but it didn't feel good. I found myself removing my foot from the pedals during flights, which involved lifting my leg with my arm and setting it on the floor. I have not yet done any long flights with the Virpil pedals, however there is no pinching sensation when i put my feet on them. They are comfortable. My Wife sat in a chair and put her feet on both, she commented that the Virpil pedals are like a nice footrest, the TM pedals were uncomfortable to her. (She has properly working legs, so I wanted her take on them.) 

The comfort level is HUGE. Furthermore, the throw distance and design is important. I can hook my right foot and pull back, effectively adding left rudder, without using too much of my left leg, something that was technically possible, but actually near impossible with the TM pedals. The brake axis on the Ace pedals is a night and day difference. 

I plan on updating this post, as my wife sometimes feels bad for her cripple of a husband and also ordered me the MFG crosswind ME109 pedals with their adjustable footrest. I have not concerns about the quality of the Ace collection rudder pedals, and I haven't heard many complaints about the build quality of the MFG crosswind pedals. It's just going to come down to which pedals are more comfortable for me to use with my disability. Whichever pedals are a little less comfortable on my leg (Virpil or Crosswind) I'm going to sell off to someone in my Squadron (AIN). I'm going to do full reviews on both the Ace collection, with both foot rests, and the MFG Crosswind ME109 pedals. While this might be interesting to some of you, I must assume that there is someone else out there who is struggling with painful rudder pedals as well, and is too stubborn to use a twist grip. It is for those people, and the manufactures of these controllers that I am writing this for. 

If you're intresting in talking about this with me, or just someone to fly with and help you learn your aircraft in DCS, feel free to drop by the AIN discord server. We've got a great group of sim pilots, and we're always willing to help people learn and fly with new people. https://discord.gg/JuBydbsfDn

Stay tuned, and if you've got any questions on the subject of rudder pedals and disability, please post it here so that we can try and work out solutions together. 

here's my Youtube, and Ill be doing video reviews of pedals in the near future when I've had a chance to play with them longer. But I did just review a pretty cool head tracker, so check that out in the mean time.

20220331_141847.jpg

20220331_141815.jpg

• Like 1

The MFG Crosswind V3 pedals arrived. Here are a few comparison pictures of those, and hopefully soon I'll have some idea of which I like best. Im including links to both Virpil and MFG websites, so you don't have to go looking like I did. 

MFG Crosswind V3 graphite (mfg-sim.com)

VIRPIL Controls - Rudder Pedals - Shop (virpil-controls.eu)

20220404_142423.jpg

20220404_143957.jpg

Edited by Dscross
  • Like 1