Now: would I enjoy M2K if I love AJS-37?

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants

Continuing from here:

Currently, I am "free flying" the Mirage 2000C and it could have been the JA-37 (no typo) I wish there were. From my little experience of over 3 hours with the plane, and after successfully done a CASE-1 landing at the 2nd attempt, it seems like a little A2A version of the Viggen, and I know they are of different generation.

Your thoughts please.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

1 hour ago, VFGiPJP said:

it seems like a little A2A version of the Viggen, and I know they are of different generation.

Yeah that's one way to look at it. The Viggen we have is a 90s upgrade, which just so happens to be more or less the 2000C's best-fitting epoch (no precision guided weapons, no Fox 3s etc, but still decently advanced avionics). If you don't care for hyper-modern features the Mirage is definitely a good complement to the Viggen.

• Thanks 1

The M2k RDI has less A-A missiles (IIRC) than the JA37, but the Super 530D really deserve their name.

Plus the M2k can do quite some cool A-G stuff (you might need a l@zer-buddy, though). The runway-wreckers are a nice feature, so are the Belougas.

It comes with a refuelling-probe and a chute/ Éclair. The synthetic runway feature of the HUD is very interesting, so is the general INS-handling.

I'd say get the Mirage. But then again, Mirages are my thing...

• Thanks 1

So ein Feuerball, JUNGE!

Ordinally I'd just say "It's a Mirage! Buy it!". Because it's a Mirage 2000C. What's not to love? But the last months have seen such an incredible amount of love and attention poured into this module from Razbam (and some very cool help from the French AdA) that I would say that anyone who enjoys flight simming and full fidelity modules owes it to themselves to get the Mirage. It's an incredible experience. Nothing else in DCS currently matches the detail of the radar modelling either. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

In my opinion the M2K and AJS-37 complement each other. The M2K is for A2A, the Viggen for A2G.

The Viggen excels in anti-ship and low-level attacks in this game. It has thrust reversal which allows very short landings and reversing on the ground.

The Mirage also has nice A2G options like precision bombing with unguided bombs, as GBU truck which requires buddy lasing and bombing runways.

Both have interesting and excellent navigational systems.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The M2K is one of the best modeled, least buggy jets if not THE best modeled, least buggy jet in DCS. The INS actually works and drifts like a real INS, updates make sense and require care and attention, and cold war-era ground attack profiles are possible and work as expected.

They even did small things other devs don't, like allow you start a mission with drift with a setting in the ME so you can practice updating, and allow the exact placement of offsets so you can run offset bombing profiles as they would have been done in the 80's and early 90's.

If you like the Viggen, you like low-level cold-war era bombing. The Mirage does that in a more conventional, less Swedish way. Learning the Mirage will help you learn concepts that will carry over to later variants of the Mirage F1 that will come out, as well as the A7 Corsair.

Not to mention the campaigns available for the Mirage are much better and more numerous than the Viggen.

I say unequivocally you should get the Mirage.

• Like 1

One-more-thingy: it has more conventional A2A capability so if you want it to pretend to be a JA-37, which we may never get, you will love M2K-C just that the gun piper is kinda "unique".

• Like 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

6 minutes ago, Kercheiz said:

No, that's more likely a skill issue 😛

C'mon, you can't tell me that 30mm is not making giant holes into thin metal paneled planes.

Besides, formula of lethality (which of course I don't have in my head) clearly takes firing rate into account.
DEFA is not too bad actually, just not M61'ish, which is ok for me.

All in all you're still probably right, is a combination of my lack of skills, with the funky pipper and "the most realistic simulation of 30mm HE gun rounds, ever".

Edited by Bananabrai

Alias in Discord: Mailman

4 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

but actually the DM

True, I miss stated DEFA's being crab for AA.
My skills + actually realistic pipper AFAIK + DM

Maybe it's still a game limitation (the fusing thing) plus limitation of several aircrafts' damage model.
There are other flying tanks in the game.

Edited by Bananabrai

Alias in Discord: Mailman