Vista and Multi-core/Multi-CPUs, Continued

ericinexile

Way out of my league there. Some one will answer soon enough.

i7 920 - 2.66 ghz

i7 940 - 2.93 ghz

i7 965 - 3.2 ghz

The i7 920 offers the best value since these chips seem to oc very well.

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390

32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB CAS 14

EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra XC2

256gb Samsung 869 Pro (Boot Drive)

1TB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus

Seasoninc 1000w Titanium Ultra PSU

34" ASUS PG348

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DCS affinity set application

Hi all,

This is an application that I made which sets the affinity on DCS.exe to all processor available in the system. You need to be an administrator.

Tested on Vista 32bits/Core 2 Duo.

To quit application press CTRL+C.

No Spy. No Trojan. No Warranty. Use at your risk.

Good flight!

DCSAFF.rar

Just a quick note to wombat and Prophet, thank you very much for this.

Just tested on Vista Home Premium 32bit, and it worked well. On a Core 2 Duo T9300 I went from 36 fps to 44 fps (average) in same condition.

I loaded a mission and as soon as it loaded and I was sitting in the cockpit, I turned on the frame rate counter in the sim (R-Ctrl + Pause) and watched the fps and sim time. At around 37 seconds after starting, the fps jumped, as expected.

The only advice to other might be that once you exit the sim, the empty cmd window that ran the script stays open, and you need to close it by hitting Ctrl + C. Just so they know what to expect.

Thanks again!

i still dont understand All programs in Vista automaticaly have a check mark on all cores for affinity and everyone else i know with vista its the same way . Only thing to change is if you want to remove check mark from cores 1 2 3 or 4 .

Dell XPS 630i w/ Dell nForce 650i Sli ,Intel Q9650 @3.0 ,6.0 GB Ram @800Mhz, 2xGeforce 9800 GT 512 MB ,Saitek X52, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals ,Dell 24" 1080P HD monitor, Klipsch THX Pro Media 2.1 ,TrackIR 4, Logitech MX518

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i still dont understand All programs in Vista automaticaly have a check mark on all cores for affinity and everyone else i know with vista its the same way . Only thing to change is if you want to remove check mark from cores 1 2 3 or 4 .

Yes, but DCS.exe explicitly changes the affinity to one core on start. This was due to the code itself being single-threaded, and the programmers didn't thought of or didn't know about Vista's DirectX 10 (9 is efficiently a wrapper over it) multithread "nature".

You want the best? Here i am...

If you are running Vista, and try the affinity tweak and in game do not get an increase in fps, it is probably due to something preventing it from being set. This just happened to me, I haven't figured it out yet, but I am having to set it manually again each time I fly. Wombats script seems to be working but the "process.exe" file is being blocked ( even after I set ownership rights, etc. for it ) and even though it all starts up fine, I noticed my affinity was not being set to both cores (on one of my systems). So I am having to use SetAffinity II manually after I start the game ( game=DCS.exe not the launcher = launcher.exe) by alt-tabbing out and clicking to use the 2nd core.

The problem seems to be User Account Control is blocking the process.exe file from starting. If I turn off UAC, then it works fine, but to turn off UAC it takes a reboot... and the same to turn it back on. I know full well the "leave UAC off" discussion, but UAC is a protective system within Vista that I wish to leave on.

Mind, this does not occur on Vista on my quad core system.

Once I figure the fix for this I will post it up.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I dunno but mine is always set to all core i have never touched it. Both Launcher.exe and DCS.exe are always on all cores they never uncheck themselves i keep looking for it but it doesn't. Im not complaining i just dont see how im the only one that has it automatically set to all cores i check it when after i start the game its always on. I never turned it on either as i said it always is on for everything and same for everyone else that i fly with so this is why this is confusing. I thought maybe XP was the one where you had to set it but i keep seeing people on Vista talk about setting it but its set =\ . I was just hoping to find some more FPS i only get solid 15 with medium graphics.

Edited by Chillspider

Dell XPS 630i w/ Dell nForce 650i Sli ,Intel Q9650 @3.0 ,6.0 GB Ram @800Mhz, 2xGeforce 9800 GT 512 MB ,Saitek X52, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals ,Dell 24" 1080P HD monitor, Klipsch THX Pro Media 2.1 ,TrackIR 4, Logitech MX518

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

never mind i see now:clap: before it was always on now 1 core is set i guess i checked at the wrong time i checked when game started not the mission. :doh:see if the other 3 cores will do anything now.

Edited by Chillspider

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

:thumbup:Wow i went from 9-15 fps to 25-30 with medium settings:doh::megalol:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Great Chillspider, I think we all knew that yours wasn't being set to all cores automatically since the games software purposely sets it to use but a single core. That is why we kept stating in-game and not the launcher which is more like In-Menu only. :)

Glad you figured it out and now have more FPS to boot. :thumbup:

I now just need to figure out why "Process.exe" is being stopped by User Account Control on one of my Vista machines.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Great Chillspider, I think we all knew that yours wasn't being set to all cores automatically since the games software purposely sets it to use but a single core. That is why we kept stating in-game and not the launcher which is more like In-Menu only. :)

Glad you figured it out and now have more FPS to boot. :thumbup:

I now just need to figure out why "Process.exe" is being stopped by User Account Control on one of my Vista machines.

Well it was starting DCS.exe with all cores but it would turn it off when the mission started. Thats why i kept asking because i would load blackshark and it said all cores were running so i didnt understand why other peoples werent but i just tried it when i was in a mission and only one core was running so for me i have to wait until im in the mission to set the affinity.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hey guys, great forum you have here. Very helpful :thumbup: I tried running the scripts but in the dos window I receive the following message:

"choice"is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I also don't see any FPS improvement and was wondering if that was the problem? Thanks in advance for the help :pilotfly:

Asrock z68 Extreme4Gen3

Intel i5-2500K

8GB ram

EVGA GTX 770 4GB

Creative Recon3d Fatality Champion

HDD's

320 GB Maxtor 7200RPM (OS and misc system files)

1 TB Hitachi 7200 RPM (games and music, storage)

64 GB Sandisk u100 SSD (Star Wars and DCS world 1.2.7)

Trackir 4

Saitek X65F:joystick:

Saitek X52 (Use flightstick for helo and WWII Sims, but X65 throttle)

CH Pro pedals

Thrustmaster MFD's

Logitech X5500 Speakers

Sennheiser PC360 Headphones

Win 7 Home Premium (64 Bit)

llama, in an effort to help you, please let us know a few things.

1st: What OS are you using? (The tweak is for Vista)

2nd: Make sure you follow the instructions listed in this and other forums listed within this one via links. The entire contents of Wombats scripts (found at bottom of 1st page of this thread) should be unzipped and the individual files put into the root of the KA-50 folder ( not in their own folder ). Create a shortcut and use only the appropriate *.cmd file, example: there are 2 core and 4 core cmd files.

Instructions here:

Download the file attached to this post.

Extract contents to your x:\Program Files (x86)\1C\Eagle Dynamics\Ka-50 this is the default location.

Replace the SP and MP shortcuts on your desktop with shortcuts to the appropriate SP and MP .cmd files.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

llama, in an effort to help you, please let us know a few things.

1st: What OS are you using? (The tweak is for Vista)

2nd: Make sure you follow the instructions listed in this and other forums listed within this one via links. The entire contents of Wombats scripts (found at bottom of 1st page of this thread) should be unzipped and the individual files put into the root of the KA-50 folder ( not in their own folder ). Create a shortcut and use only the appropriate *.cmd file, example: there are 2 core and 4 core cmd files.

Instructions here:

Download the file attached to this post.

Extract contents to your x:\Program Files (x86)\1C\Eagle Dynamics\Ka-50 this is the default location.

Replace the SP and MP shortcuts on your desktop with shortcuts to the appropriate SP and MP .cmd files.

Crap...thought it was for XP as well....that would explain why it isn't working...lol

Asrock z68 Extreme4Gen3

Intel i5-2500K

8GB ram

EVGA GTX 770 4GB

Creative Recon3d Fatality Champion

HDD's

320 GB Maxtor 7200RPM (OS and misc system files)

1 TB Hitachi 7200 RPM (games and music, storage)

64 GB Sandisk u100 SSD (Star Wars and DCS world 1.2.7)

Trackir 4

Saitek X65F:joystick:

Saitek X52 (Use flightstick for helo and WWII Sims, but X65 throttle)

CH Pro pedals

Thrustmaster MFD's

Logitech X5500 Speakers

Sennheiser PC360 Headphones

Win 7 Home Premium (64 Bit)

If you read throughout the forums on this topic ( affinity and dual cores) you will find that with XP, there is no fix to get more fps. But using Vista's operating system (32 and 64 bit versions) you can see as much as 20 fps more than you get with XP.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If you read throughout the forums on this topic ( affinity and dual cores) you will find that with XP, there is no fix to get more fps. But using Vista's operating system (32 and 64 bit versions) you can see as much as 20 fps more than you get with XP.

All those with dual boot. Is the total FPS more with Vista than XP? In other words with Vista getting the boost from Affinity does that make the FPS better than XP?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Dual boot, on two different systems, and a big YES on both systems.

Vista with the affinity tweak gets between 10 to 20 fps more over the same exact system running XP.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Microsoft Windows Vista x64 bit

Overclocked Intel Core2Duo @ 3.30GHz

6GB DDR Ram

Nvidia GTX280 1GB

DCS Blackshark Russian DVD Box and English Download

1920x1080 res. @ 37" Westinghouse LVM-37w3 1080P

Background image by Shrubbo.

Finally tested BS on dual boot Vista x64 and XP x32. More FPS with Vista then XP.

Considering the disclaimer on the campaigns, is there still a marked difference between XP and Vista on a heavy mission or could we assume that the devs and testers prior to release time didn't utilise the multicore kludge?

A user figured out this little gem. From what I've read I've never seen it mentioned from any of the testers etc. The only offical response on the Vista thing was that Vista handled memory differntly and as a result it caused the game to run slower or something to that effect.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit