Only getting 2fps and about 10% GPU utilization

DCS has been pretty unplayable the last few weeks. It takes a long time to load and a lot of times it's just impossible to play because the screen is stuck due to basically getting 0fps. I've tried removing all mods and doing a clean/repair but it hasn't worked for me. I'm not sure what else to do other than potentially reinstalling it. The attached metrics screenshot is when I spawned into Syria in the F-16 and I was only getting a couple of frames per MINUTE.

2022-03-31.png

DxDiag.txt dcs.log

A friend of mine has this problem too whenever he joins BLUE FLAG Syria 80's.
He basically spent hours, and together in our squad we tried everything from mainboard driver update to BIOS settings to windows settings to DCS settings to hardware settings to new CONFIG directory in SAVED GAMES to DCS REPAIR etc.

In no way this works on his rig, and currently, he is not able to fly there.
I am looking forward for any hints, but can only add that we ran out of ideas (4 experienced people in our squad).

Edited by TOViper
  • Like 1

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

Most probably yes, but I have no more detailed overview what he did in the nights without having us joining his "bugfixing party".
But I sent the link to this thread to him a few minutes ago, and I hope he can jump in here soon and report back.
I am happy that I found a thread covering these effects ... at least he is not alone in the dark now.

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

10% utilization and 2 fps would be a very unusual problem if caused by DCS.

Do you experience similar in other applications/games?

Have you installed DCS and/or windows on a ssd? Is it full?

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

A friend of mine has a VERY similar (same?) issue and is still looking for a way to solve this:

He's also using a Ryzen CPU, just like you.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

11 hours ago, Miro said:

Have You tried reinsall GPU Drivers?

Yup. Used DDU to clean install latest drivers and everything.

10 hours ago, Hiob said:

Do you experience similar in other applications/games?

Have you installed DCS and/or windows on a ssd? Is it full?

Nope. Every other game that I play works completely fine. I have DCS installed on an SSD and it still has over 300GB of free storage.

9 hours ago, QuiGon said:

He's also using a Ryzen CPU, just like you.

As far as I can tell, this is only happening to AMD builds so hopefully they address it soon 😕

Edited by MuscleMarker

I'm reacting to the "long startup" mentioned in the OP. Please ensure you're not running the game as an administrator. And don't use any Compatibility mode. Last but not least, add DCS main folder as an exception in your antivirus software (even if it's Windows default antivirus).

• Like 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

I have some questions and suggestions:

1. Did it happen with the latest patch (2.7.11..), and before it was ok, or did this suddenly happen?

2. Does it also happen when creating a very basic mission in Caucasus, using a SU-25T, and not a F16? (Later question will point on this)
> In log file it looks like you play the liberation mission. Here in performance part of forum I heared a lot about issues.

3. Can you Install the stable version? (not with all mods terrains or modules, just the core game)

4. Did you really clean the install ? I ask, ss the TACVIEW is still active in your posted log file..?

4.1 Just rename the Saved Games folder once, to check if it behaves differently: (C:\Users\<user>\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta_BAK)

5. Is your windows up to date? Refering to question 1.
> Check your energy management and ensure maximum performance.
> Check game mode or HDR is deactivated.

6. Maybe try in non-fullscreen mode. just curious if it changes something. generally, play with settings and check if anything changes.

• Like 1

Windows 11 Pro 64Bit - AMD Ryzen 5800X3D - AMD 6900 XT - 64 GB RAM

VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Throttle, VPC WarBRD Base, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip

On 4/2/2022 at 7:52 PM, Limaro said:

I have some questions and suggestions:

1. Did it happen with the latest patch (2.7.11..), and before it was ok, or did this suddenly happen?

2. Does it also happen when creating a very basic mission in Caucasus, using a SU-25T, and not a F16? (Later question will point on this)
> In log file it looks like you play the liberation mission. Here in performance part of forum I heared a lot about issues.

3. Can you Install the stable version? (not with all mods terrains or modules, just the core game)

4. Did you really clean the install ? I ask, ss the TACVIEW is still active in your posted log file..?

4.1 Just rename the Saved Games folder once, to check if it behaves differently: (C:\Users\<user>\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta_BAK)

5. Is your windows up to date? Refering to question 1.
> Check your energy management and ensure maximum performance.
> Check game mode or HDR is deactivated.

6. Maybe try in non-fullscreen mode. just curious if it changes something. generally, play with settings and check if anything changes.

Thank you sooo much for this, since the Apache came out I've been getting single digit frames, my system is i7 6700, 16gb ram, 1080 graphics, and I've been trying many different things, (gave me the excuse to upgrade to 32gb ram) and I was at the point of thinking a full windows re-install when I tried the saved games trick, and it's worked for me, so thank you again, you're a lifesaver!!

On 4/2/2022 at 8:52 PM, Limaro said:

I had a similar problem. My 3090 achieves around 90 fps with 370 Watts usage at begin in a certain mission. I can't determine what caused the change (AH64D came out, I changed the Oculus for Reverb G2v2) but with the same settings and in the same mission fps went down under 10 and power usage went to under 100 Watts for the GPU. Similar for all missions and models. No other game was affected. I tried the usual: DCS repair, deleted shaders and fx, messed with usual graphic settings, etc. Next step would have been DCS reinstall and thereafter Win10.

Read your advise and renamed the saved games folder.  Worked for me and performance and fps are back. Thank you very much.

Now I will have to copy folder by folder back to determine which file caused the problem.

Edited by Leto
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ariescon.com

Intel i7-6700K | 32GB RAM | NVIDIA GTX 1080 | 1TB m.2 SSD | TM Warthog | Logitech G-35 | TrackIR 5 | Windows 10 Ultimate 64bit | 3 monitor setup @5760x1080 | Occulus Rift

vor 3 Minuten schrieb Leto:

I had a similar problem. My 3090 achieves around 90 fps with 370 Watts usage at begin in a certain mission. I can't determine what caused the change (AH64D came out, I changed the Oculus for Reverb G2v2) but with the same settings and in the same mission fps went down under 10 and power usage went to under 100 Watts for the GPU. Similar for all missions and models. I tried the usual: DCS repair, deleted shaders and fx, messed with usual graphic settings. Next step would have been DCS reinstall and thereafter Win10.

Read your advise and renamed the saved games folder.  Worked for me and performance and fps are back. Thank you very much.

Now I will have to copy folder by folder back to determine which file caused the problem.

Very glad that it helped. If I would guess, I'd say it's the Scripts folder. That already caused some issues an my PC. After "restoring" them, with newest versions (Tacview, pw-dev, etc...) it worked also still well.

Windows 11 Pro 64Bit - AMD Ryzen 5800X3D - AMD 6900 XT - 64 GB RAM

VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Throttle, VPC WarBRD Base, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip