Additional variants of AGM-114 missile

Bedouin

• ED Team
On 6/11/2021 at 10:43 AM, KiwiOz said:

Will you be adding hellfire2 semi active radar version?

During the early access period, when the FCR is added. 

thanks

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 2 months later...

Im gonna go on a limb and guess probably not because of how new it is and it appears there is little info available on it, but is there any chances of seeing this variant come to the module? 

Would be pretty interesting for precision strikes on some missions where you wouldn’t want to damage anything around your target. 

Then again I don’t think we have to worry about that until fragmentation is implemented. 😜

Edited by mrsteel
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Not sure how the N would work, but M should be easy enough, just give it a big blast radius instead of armor penetration. Would be nice if ED looked at those two post-release, they shouldn't be all that different in implementation, but would expand our tactical options.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everybody. A question about Hellfire K: I tried to throw 6 at a Command Center (bunker). I threw them with a high trajectory to hit him right perpendicular. Result: zero. No damage. Maybe it's not the right Hellfire for this target. I have read that there is a Hellfire M (?) which is supposed to be anti-bunker. Hope this type is implemented in future releases.

• ED Team

You're not going to take out a Command Center object with any AGM-114 in DCS.  These things require several 2000 lb-class bombs to destroy.  A small 100 lb anti-tank missile will do nothing more than scratch the paint and maybe disturb the sleep cycle of the occupants inside.

The AGM-114M is designed to cause localized frag damage to naval vessels; it's not a anti-bunker missile.

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

This is why one flies the Ka-50 and spittoons the bad guy with a twin shot of Kh-25s.

The 400lb of Kaboom! from that one pull of the trigger is more than all 16 Hellfires combined.  :smoke:

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

22 minutes ago, Beirut said:

This is why one flies the Ka-50 and spittoons the bad guy with a twin shot of Kh-25s.

The 400lb of Kaboom! from that one pull of the trigger is more than all 16 Hellfires combined.  :smoke:

And it still does jack against bunkers.

4 minutes ago, FalcoGer said:

And it still does jack against bunkers.

A dent. But do you know what does work with the Ka-50? 4x500kg bombs. 

The uhhhh.... Apache can't, uhhh...  carry 500kg bombs can it? :no: 

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

On 3/31/2022 at 8:05 PM, Beirut said:

A dent. But do you know what does work with the Ka-50? 4x500kg bombs. 

The uhhhh.... Apache can't, uhhh...  carry 500kg bombs can it? :no: 

I do love flying the Apache, but admittedly, I also miss the versatility of the Ka-50.  

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Fired 4 AGM-114K against Molnya corvette. 3 hit broadsides center hull. Molnya had 25% damage according to BDA. Molnya kept sailing at 30 knots and shooting  AK-630's. Hellfires not exactly blew the target away. Figure two Hellfires ,I thought, should at least do a mobility kill or damage fire control.

• ED Team

The damage modeling of ships is still composed of overall "health points", versus individual systems like propulsion, steering, weapons, etc.

Having said that, Hellfires aren't anti-ship missiles with huge warheads like Harpoons. The only variants planned are the K and L models.

• Like 5

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

1 hour ago, DmitriKozlowsky said:

Fired 4 AGM-114K against Molnya corvette.

Trying to sink larger ships with Hellifres is as unrealistic as destroying bunkers with AMRAMMs. @DmitriKozlowsky obviously still doesn't realize, that DCS stands for Digital Combat Simulator, what means that it isn't comparable with an arcade game, where you can destroy buildings with a hand gun for instance.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC
[Maps] PG, NTTR, Normandy, Sinai, Syria, TC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro
[Checklists] A-10C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H

US Navy and Swedes, and I beleive Norwegains have patrol vessels equipped with surface launched Hellfire. For use against small surface combatants, littoral combat, and surface to ground warfare.

Molnya corvette is well within displacement and type of vessel that Hellfire should be effective against with multiple hits. I did not expect outright sinking, I figured 4 with three hits should have degraded Molnya sufficiently. Unfortunately it was not , so I anticipate needing 6 -8 hits to hull one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Unfortunately the ship damage model system in DCS is too simplistic to be able to mission kill ships or take out sensors and weapons. Hopefully someday we'll get that. 

At 180 feet and 500 tons the Molnya isn't exactly a small ship, but it's not large either. I think it's realistic for one to take multiple Hellfire hits and stay floating, but I agree, it should probably suffer some significant loss to it's fighting capability. Hellfire in the anti-ship role is more intended for Boghammer style fast boats and not corvettes. The heavy-warhead (E, F, G) Mavericks make far better anti-ship weapons, they have a warhead that is three times the weight of the entire Hellfire missile. 

• Like 1

MavG or K works well against Molnyas in A-10CII. Two F's from AV-8B stop it 50 %, and 50 % it sinks. So that is not an issue. I knew that and others do to. But Apache has no Mav as weapon, just Hellfire K. So thats what we have. Another potential target is the Iranian Patrol Boat. I don't recall if it came with a PG pack I installed, or if it is now part of normal DCS distribution. But it is a dangerous target. Depending on skill set, it has a SAM that registers either as naval SA-8 or SA-11 (Snowdrift). But 3D model shows its launcher as holding MANPADS missiles. Thus far it has been a tough nut, becouse it targets and fires from beyond 10km. Before CP/G lases it for Hellfire K. Mavs don't lock on it until after A-10C or AV-8B are in its engagement envelope. You can cheat it, by forcing it not to engage threats until 50% of range, but it is a cheat.

Not every "asset" suits every "target"...

You are still comparing apples and potatos as mentioned so often before (here and in other discussions). IRL a ship can get "out of action" after recieving some damage, e.g. when not having an efficient fire fighting system and crew. DCS DOES NOT MODEL THIS - and im totally fine with it (sure there are things to improve, like fragmentation simulation).

K

• Like 3