Resolution of Cockpit Displays, does it do anything?

The_Nephilim

Hey Guys,

I have a reverb G2 and a 1070GTX now my problem is and always has been reading the MFD's/MPD's in the different cockpits. now I adjusted the Resolution of Cockpit Displays to 1024 and it does not seem any different then the 256, now either it is bevcause it does not do anythnig really noticable or my OverAll G2 Resolution is just too low..

I had used the other F16 MFD Mod and tried to do something similar with the Apache but came up with nothing.. Now I was wondering is there any way to make the MFD's /MPD's more readable then they currently are or am I just SOL!!!

Thank you for any feedback..

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

I am running my cockpit displays at 512 and they are very readable in the Apache.  I turned them down from 1024 because I was trying to improve frame rates.  Honestly looking at your specs you need a better video card to run that G2.  

System: Intel Core i9-9900KF @ 5 Ghz, Z-390 Gaming X, 64Gb DDR4-3200, EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3, Dedicated SSD, HP Reverb G2, Winwing Orion & F-16EX

DCS Modules: A-10C II,  A/V-8B NA, Bf-109 K4, P-51D, P-47D, F/A-18C, F-14 A/B, F-16 CM, F-86F, JF-17, KA-50 Black Shark 2, UH-1H, Mosquito, AH-64D Longbow 

Terrains & Tech:  Caucasus, Persian Gulf, Normandy, Syria, Nevada, The Channel, Combined Arms, WWII Assets, Supercarrier

3 hours ago, Mad Dog 762 said:

I am running my cockpit displays at 512 and they are very readable in the Apache.  I turned them down from 1024 because I was trying to improve frame rates.  Honestly looking at your specs you need a better video card to run that G2.  

yes tell me something I do not know. 😉 but mushing onwards, I increased the rez of the g2 too 50% which helped but I still see no difference between 256 and 1024?? is the rez of the cockpit display working or not??

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

44 minutes ago, The_Nephilim said:

yes tell me something I do not know. 😉 but mushing onwards, I increased the rez of the g2 too 50% which helped but I still see no difference between 256 and 1024?? is the rez of the cockpit display working or not??

I’m always glad to be wrong, but if it changes anything I sure can’t tell. 

I believe I had seen in a video that the res for "cockpit displays" is talking about rear vision mirrors and nothing to do with MFDs. Don't take that as 100% truth unless others also back that up but pretty sure that is right.

If you want to improve the apparent resolution then first step is to look into a super sampling mod like openvr_fsr by fholger

3 hours ago, SunDown said:

Try this. I have an HP G2 and I could really tell a difference. I have an older pc. Basically gets you off of Steam VR. 

Yes, I am using that and is the reason I was able to run 50% rez. I guess what ignition22 said they are the resolution of the mirrors, I did hear about that long time ago but maybe that is why I don't see any difference..

I will just hope I can get a better card sometime down the road.. I had a 1080GTX but it died and I could only afford this 1070GTX.. I am not complaining just been a crazy 2 years for the GPU Market.. I don't see prices ever coming down either. 

2 hours ago, SunDown said:

Try this. I have an HP G2 and I could really tell a difference. I have an older pc. Basically gets you off of Steam VR. 

I want to give it a shot. Can you write just some short bulletpoints, how to convert to Open XR, please?

Edited by Razor18

5 hours ago, Razor18 said:

I want to give it a shot. Can you write just some short bulletpoints, how to convert to Open XR, please?

6 hours ago, The_Nephilim said:

Hey Guys,

I have a reverb G2 and a 1070GTX now my problem is and always has been reading the MFD's/MPD's in the different cockpits. now I adjusted the Resolution of Cockpit Displays to 1024 and it does not seem any different then the 256, now either it is bevcause it does not do anythnig really noticable or my OverAll G2 Resolution is just too low..

I had used the other F16 MFD Mod and tried to do something similar with the Apache but came up with nothing.. Now I was wondering is there any way to make the MFD's /MPD's more readable then they currently are or am I just SOL!!!

You probably already know this, but just in case:

Have you been playing with both the SteamVR supersampling setting and the PD setting within DCS?

These have huge effect on cockpit readability and overall ingame sharpness (of course at the cost of performance)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

3 hours ago, sirrah said:

You probably already know this, but just in case:

Have you been playing with both the SteamVR supersampling setting and the PD setting within DCS?

These have huge effect on cockpit readability and overall ingame sharpness (of course at the cost of performance)

Well Since I got the 1070 some months ago I had tweaked DCS and SteamVR to the absolute absolute. I am now trying OpenXR and it seems I can get a higher Overall Rez setting with OpenXR. I just thought the Cockpit display actually made the MPD/MFD's clearer when I do believe like another pointed out it controls the mirrors..

I am right now sitting on 30% seems the best balance, I did get as high as 50% but that was mostly single player missions with the FPS down to about 30-35FPS. With 40% I gained a bit but in Multiplayer missions it was still a bit off. I set it at 30% and been testing a bunch of missions it seems to be holding @45FPS Steady.

Now @30% the MPD looks a little better but not near as good as 50% but I can just use the old trick of Zoom in on the MPD and just be happy I can even fly in VR.. Maybe one day I can look into getting a new GPU..

I am even able to get MSAAx2 in on the deal plus 30% Open XR has been a God send.. thank you to all who made it possible and us Guinea pigs who continue with it..

5 hours ago, The_Nephilim said:

I don't see prices ever coming down either. 

Oddly enough, I've been following GPU prices for a while - and in the last couple of weeks the first glimmers of hope have emerged. Quite a few predictions of prices returning to some sense of normality this year. I have a 1080 and desperately waiting for the 3080 to come down a bit.

Anyway, that's my contribution to the thread, haha - don't lose hope just yet!

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

Well the thing is I just seen some GPU's 3050-3090's in stock and at microcenter thing is they are like twice the price they used to be.. This is basically the same price the scalpers where getting for them.

I just don't see them lowering the price when people are willing to pay twice the price. now not all bought cards from scalpers but those that did fueled this dilema we are now in.. I do hope prices go back to near normal levels and not these inflated pricing we been seeing last few years..

7 hours ago, The_Nephilim said:

Hey Guys,

Hi there. It is very important that you restart DCS, when you switch the cockpit display resolution. If you switch from 1024 to 512 and don't restart DCS, you will still see the 1024 result. Generally the cockpit display resolution changes the resolution and readability of you kneepad, the mirror resolution and the live-footage (FLIR-image) on the MFDs. I play in VR and would not recommend to go below 512 resolution. (at 256, the kneepad map charts are nearly unreadable)

512 is perfectly fine but could look relative low-res on mirrors (if you use mirrors at all). Performance wise I would always play without mirrors.

And only use the "every frame" option when you have enough graphics power available. Every frame means the refresh rate of the FLIR (and mirrors) runs at 60 fps (wich could be demanding on some hardware). The normal option (without every frame) means the footage on the FLIR (and mirrors) runs at 30 fps and look sometimes sluggish but is decent.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D // 64 GB RAM // RTX 4090 // Quest Pro // Quest 3