280 gig installation folder ! Really ?

I couldn't get the updater to work and eventually I realised that there was not enough space on the SSD for the installation and the download folder within DCS file structure to download the update. So I put DCS on a 500 gig SSD that also has IL2X installed. It had over 120 gig free space, even that was not enough and I had to move it to a 1TB SSD.

This is absurd. How big is the DCS folder supposed to be with most of the modules ? 280 gig is what I am seeing now I got it updated to open beta

Edited by Dirty Rotten Flieger

Yeah, DCS is big. 290GB on my end, and I don't have any WWII content. If you're into that, better shell out for either a bigger SSD or a dedicated one for DCS. I had to boot both Il-2 and X-plane off to a SATA SSD (my main one is M.2), luckily they're not as big performance hogs as DCS.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2022 at 8:48 AM, Dirty Rotten Flieger said:

Thanks for the reply. So this is working correctly it seems. I have most of them.  It seems to have tripled in size even though I haven't added any new modules. AT least I know it's working correctly now. 

That big of a size bloat without new modules purchased? Sounds suspicious. If you had updating problems, there might be some leftover temp files left in _downloads folder. Then there are other usual suspects to check: backup folder with old custom mods moved by updater, auto-saved multiplayer replay tracks in Saved Games location... All these can waste quite a few gigs of space and should be purged on regular basis.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.