Control Observations / Technique Transfer

StrongHarm

I'm loving AH-64 so much.  Sometimes I find myself chanting f**************k...  f************k.. while I fly.  It's been a long time since I was that impressed with a technology.  It's more breathtaking than a shorn scrotum.  

One thing I've observed about control of the Apache is that there are a few flight techniques that transfer from other airframes (for me).

1. Stirring the pot - Long ago I had a mil aviator explain "stirring the pot" to me in context of air refueling.  The concept is simple after you employ it, but a little difficult to grasp at first.  You're moving the stick in very small circles as if you're stirring a pot.  As you require correction on one of the axis, your "stir" fades minutely in that direction.  If you need to correct it the other direction, it doesn't happen until you get around the "pot" to the next stir revolution.  The minute corrections happen intuitively.  Sounds crazy, but boy did it make a difference in my AAR.  I can connect and hold the boom with ease using this technique.  This translates to hover in the Apache.  Try slowly "stirring the pot" while holding a hover.  It makes it really easy.

2. Pumping the Collective - In the Blackshark I often had trouble controlling my directional velocity in the beginning.  Stopping quickly with precision behind terrain features for instance.   I learned to "pump the collective" in a way that provided full authority of my velocity and a much higher level of precision.  It's counter intuitive because the cyclic requires smooth movements, as do the pedals.  It's more natural to use consistent movements and actions across cyclic/collective/pedals.  Relative speed and attack.  This is incorrect.   For instance, when trying to stop quickly with precision, performing a quick and extreme increase in collective, then returning it quickly to the original position, can provide much more authority.  I call this "pumping".  To put it into perspective, I might pull pitch and give it a quick test pump (returning to original position quickly) and check the effect.  Based upon the effect of that check pump, I might intuitively realize that I require a quick pump every 3sec to achieve my precise hover on a spot.  I may find that I need to pump faster or slower based upon the weight of the bird, altitude, etc.  The point is if I try to use smooth movements of the collective (similar to those of the cyclic) I don't always achieve full authority.  Being more aggressive with the collective and working with "pumps" yields much better results for me.

I hope this didn't come out as incoherent ramblings, but on a recent flight I had such authority of the bird that I was excited to share what I had discovered, in hopes that others might also make their breakthrough.

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

You should note that both of these techniques will result in an increased tendency to overtorque or droop the rotor.

Stirring the cyclic is actually something we need to train out of many of our new pilots. Doing this causes your rotor system to “spill lift” as you are constantly tilting your lift vector away from the vertical. This will increase power requirements for your hover, so if you are heavy or hot/high, you are going to be hitting limits sooner.

I’m not sure where you’re going with pumping the collective, but again at the edge of the performance envelope while heavy/hot/high, this will cause power spikes that are likely to exceed limits. It will also increase your workload, as every collective movement requires a corresponding pedal movement, and even a cyclic movement.

The gold standard of helicopter flying is very minute, precise control movements only as necessary to control drift. Anything more wastes available performance. The way to achieve this is to work on your hover references and scan, learn to identify drift or deviations early, and make a small correction. Wait for that correction to take effect before making another if necessary. You should constantly be scanning, correcting, waiting, scanning and correcting again.

Edited by Sandman1330
  • Like 5

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, I should have been more clear in that I'm not actually "stirring".  For fine control I'm making micro stabs at different points of the "bowl".  The important point is that if I'm making corrections at each "mental rotation around the bowl" instead of overcorrecting and recorrecting in opposing directions, I'm preventing overcontrol and oscillation. It's more of a mental exercise.

Concerning pumping the collective; if I use smooth increases, or remain in an increased state, it's not as effective as pumping it all the way up for a fast blast to maintain altitude while I cyclic back and cut the energy.  The collective pumps continue until hover.  It would be easier if I made a video to demonstrate, perhaps I will.  With this method I can go from 140kts to nothing and into a hover in little more than 100ft.  You should consider trying it before you dismiss it.

These methods helped me a lot, but they may be of limited use to others.  I have full authority over this bird now.  I can funnel around another helo while moving with inches of rotor separation.  

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm