Gun round max range limit then they disappear.

ROACH308

Hi just checking if its a bug or not. I find the gun rounds hit 3000 meters on the tads display laser range or below. Anything over even just slightly the rounds just never hit as if they disappear into thin air. This at a hover and was done approx 1k feet above ground and then 2000 ft msl so approx 1.8k ft agl. Here is a video I took to demonstrate.

https://youtu.be/J-_e3j5AbBw

Thanks.

• Like 1

• ED Team

reported, not sure why they can not be seen after 3100, have asked the team to check

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 11 months later...

From what I've read, this isn't related to the distance. The bullet time to live is set to 11 seconds. It should be a really easy fix by adjusting that to say 15 or something. I mean it's literally changing one number in one file.

Here is the relevant post.

Edited by FalcoGer
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, RuskyV said:

A fix that easy should have been done months ago, there must be more to it than that if ED have not fixed it yet surely?

Well "something" is going on and a lot of things "should" be one way or another. Probably just low priority. I can't say for sure, but it does take around 11 seconds for the bullets to go out to 3000m. Would be nice to sneak that potential quick fix in with the next update if it happens to be the case.

With little to no splash damage and the bullet dispersion, you are going to shoot all of your rounds to get a few hits at best at those ranges anyway, so I guess they simply have not felt the need to address it.

Edited by FalcoGer
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, FalcoGer said:

With little to no splash damage and the bullet dispersion, you are going to shoot all of your rounds to get a few hits at best at those ranges anyway, so I guess they simply have not felt the need to address it.

Dispersion of the M230 is disappointing.  I've been spoiled by the 2A42.  I got used to being able to put 5 rds from a 10 rd burst into a vehicle at 4 km.....

8 hours ago, ShuRugal said:

Dispersion of the M230 is disappointing.  I've been spoiled by the 2A42.  I got used to being able to put 5 rds from a 10 rd burst into a vehicle at 4 km.....

The M230 is more of a grenade launcher than it is a cannon. Think of it more as a cross between the old M129 and M197 weapons to get similar characteristics as both of them. It shines more in indirect fire than direct fire and the turret facilitates this quite well. The other piece is that armor penetration of the M789 is slightly better than the (presumed) 3UBR6 round employed by the 2A42 in the Ka-50, as well as being more uniform in this parameter across the effective firing range. Up close (<500m) the 2A42's AP might outperform, of course, but I don't have any data for anything closer.

• Thanks 1

vor 23 Stunden schrieb ShuRugal:

Guess, there's a reason the M230 on the AH-64 is named "Area Weapon System" and uses the 30 mm M789 High Explosive Dual Purpose (HEDP) ammo... 😄

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

• ED Team

I would like to remind everyone that posting videos or pictures of real people being killed is not appropriate. To provide clarification, it violates Rule 1.1 as being inappropriate for minors/underage individuals; and it also isn't very classy.

Any content of this nature will be removed, and repeat offenders will receive warnings. Thanks.

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

6 hours ago, DOG said:

there  is definitely a lot of shrapnel coming out of those HEDP when they explode IRL  don't know in DCS  tho 😅
(notice how its hitting the wall on the left)

I agree, observing how the 30mm works in real life, there is much more "explosiveness" to the rounds in FLIR than what is shown in DCS's FLIR. However in TV mode it looks accurate as there's less heat being picked up. Hopefully they will fix this in the future

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

I would like to remind everyone that posting videos or pictures of real people being killed is not appropriate. To provide clarification, it violates Rule 1.1 as being inappropriate for minors/underage individuals; and it also isn't very classy.

Any content of this nature will be removed, and repeat offenders will receive warnings. Thanks.

sorry won't happen again.

• 2 weeks later...

If I fire the gun when "bal limit" is present, the projectiles seem to just vanish somewhere in trajectory.
(Making anything in the path totally safe) 🙂

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING - PNY GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X  - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 64Gb RAM - 2x2Tb M2 - Win11 - HP Reverb g2 - Oculus Quest 2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - 2X Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

On 3/6/2023 at 9:18 AM, FalcoGer said:

Well "something" is going on and a lot of things "should" be one way or another. Probably just low priority. I can't say for sure, but it does take around 11 seconds for the bullets to go out to 3000m. Would be nice to sneak that potential quick fix in with the next update if it happens to be the case.

It actually is gravity, and height above ground that determines the fall time. Not the distance to the target. As soon as the projectile leaves the barrel, it start to drop, and will use the same time to fall as if dropped from the same height without any forward velocity; A bullet dropped from 10m use the same time to hit the ground as one fired from 10 above ground.
(If aimed in paralel to the ground)

Sorry for double posting an already established topic. Thank you, who ever did, for merging my post.  🙂

Edited by Moxica
  • Like 1

ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING - PNY GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X  - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 64Gb RAM - 2x2Tb M2 - Win11 - HP Reverb g2 - Oculus Quest 2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - 2X Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

9 hours ago, Moxica said:

It actually is gravity, and height above ground that determines the fall time. Not the distance to the target.

That's not true because the bullets starts with an initial vertical velocity depending on where the gun is pointing. If you were to somehow shoot straight up, the bullet would be hitting the ground a lot later than if you were to fire horizontally or straight down. Your argument only works for perfectly horizontal shots. So it depends on the height above ground, the initial vertical velocity, and gravity.

Furthermore because the bullet's total speed is so vast compared to whatever additional vertical speed it might pick up due to gravity, you can pretty much assume the time of flight is t = d/v, where d is the slant range and v is the bullet velocity. Of course it will always be slower than that in reality because the bullet takes a curved (longer) path and also slows down due to friction.

Because the distance to the target determines the angle of the gun and therefore the initial vertical velocity, that ultimately also determines the time of flight. So it just happens to be that 3000m on flat terrain is where the time of flight exceeds the time to live.

Also bullets vanish even without the ballistic limit warning.

Edited by FalcoGer

Notice: "If aimed in paralel to the ground"
In other cases, the highest point of a trajectory determines the fall time.
Downward acceleration is the same for both the dropped, and the fired projectile:  9.82 m/s2

Edited by Moxica
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I seriously don't get what the guys are up to at ED. Fixing this problem seriously just involves a single dev opening the encrypted and now "safe against cheaters" weapons.lua and editing a single value. This is a job that should take 5 minutes at max to solve a problem which is now known for over a year. 

Edited by MRTX

• 1 month later...