Storing target points with the tads and laser, then slaving, they seem offset by quite a margin

ked

When I store target points as a CPG, using the tads and the laser. Then setting this TP as acquisition source and slaving to it. It seems like the point is offset by a margin of a few tens of meters.

It might be correct as is, which is why I haven't investigated more and provided a track, just wondering if this is bugged or not

• Like 1

I'm having the same problem, happens in SP too. My offset in the TADS is always quite a bit to the right, on the TSD however, the cursor moves to the correct location.
Must be a bug. 

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I've noticed this too, with the stored point usually being several meters in front of the actual target, though I can kind of rationalise it in my head if I try:

The MGRS accuracy with 8 digits total gives you a square of 10m by 10m, so I would assume that when you lase and store a target point it's recorded in the database using that same level of accuracy. Thus, when you slave back to that target it's entirely feasible for the stored point to be anything up to 10m away from the actual point you lased. (Actually, up to 14m away if you allow for 10m in 2 directions.) That's fairly consistent with the offset I've seen when slaving back to a point, and that's not factoring in that the aircraft itself only knows where it is down to a few meters most of the time. If you compound the 2 then it all makes sense (to me.)

In any case, slaving to a target point usually puts me pretty close to the intended target. Close enough to make adjustments and shoot, anyway. I'd be amazed if the real system was flawless. 

On 4/2/2022 at 12:09 AM, frostycab said:

I've noticed this too, with the stored point usually being several meters in front of the actual target, though I can kind of rationalise it in my head if I try:

The MGRS accuracy with 8 digits total gives you a square of 10m by 10m, so I would assume that when you lase and store a target point it's recorded in the database using that same level of accuracy. Thus, when you slave back to that target it's entirely feasible for the stored point to be anything up to 10m away from the actual point you lased. (Actually, up to 14m away if you allow for 10m in 2 directions.) That's fairly consistent with the offset I've seen when slaving back to a point, and that's not factoring in that the aircraft itself only knows where it is down to a few meters most of the time. If you compound the 2 then it all makes sense (to me.)

In any case, slaving to a target point usually puts me pretty close to the intended target. Close enough to make adjustments and shoot, anyway. I'd be amazed if the real system was flawless. 

One thing is the accuracy of the coordinate stored in the database, but another issue is the accuracy when obtaining the position of the point to be stored (prior to storing it). The current position of the chopper is obtained from GPS/INS with the accuracy it provides. Then you have to use the azimuth of the laser, and the measured distance, and then from that the location (to be stored) is calculated.

Edited by pellelil
  • Like 1

Pelle Liljendal

(MooseMan)

Nothing is 100% precise. When doing GPS-calculation these (in most cases) expect the earth being a perfect sphere which it is not. I guess the laser is relative precise, however it does not know the elevation where it hits hence the point it hits can be measured to be closer/further away. The azimuth of the angle in relation to north is not perfect either. If you the measured angle (to north) is 1 degree of, at 8000 meters it would result in an inaccuracy of 139 meters (458 feet). I doubt its 1° off, but lets say the accuracy is 0.1° then it would be 13.9 meter/45.8 feet off.

However being able to pin-point a point 8000 meters out with an accuracy of 13.9 meters/45.8 feet is not bad, as long as it is only used to point the laser (almost) to the correct place

• Like 1

Pelle Liljendal

(MooseMan)

• ED Team

I've spoken with the team and a SME the offset is within tolerances.

We will keep an eye on it but for now it is correct as is. 

thank you

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team

The team have asked me to create a report for it, they want to look closer at it. 

thanks

• Thanks 4

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

4 hours ago, dg6546 said:

Also, adding waypoint in tsd is way off too. I had a flight today and the waypoint is 50km off...

It started acting like this after the hot fix.

Using the cursor or by entering MGRS through the KEU? 50km sounds like it could be user error or an error in the kneeboard.

Edited by frostycab

4 hours ago, dg6546 said:

Also, adding waypoint in tsd is way off too. I had a flight today and the waypoint is 50km off...

I have not experienced that, are you sure you entered it right ?

7 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

I've spoken with the team and a SME the offset is within tolerances.

We will keep an eye on it but for now it is correct as is. 

thank you

Thank you, I wasn't sure if this was meant to be this way or just a bug

• ED Team
11 hours ago, dg6546 said:

please make a new thread with a track replay showing the issue. 

thanks

18 hours ago, Swift. said:

Are we witnessing the DCS community's sudden introduction to TLE?

I think so. The Apache is the first module that's had proper INS drift, and at the moment unless you manually re-cycle the INUs that drift builds up quite fast. It also varies during flight with some periods where the INUs sort themselves out.  I'm regularly seeing position errors of up to 30m (which is totally fine, but worse than other DCS modules that have unrealistically good INS). 

If you combine an 8 digit grid (10m accuracy) with a moving platform that has velocities that might be a few kts out and a position that might be 30m out you'll easily generate some errors of tens of meters, and maybe hundreds on a bad day if everything lines up against you.

4 minutes ago, Scaley said:

I think so. The Apache is the first module that's had proper INS drift, and at the moment unless you manually re-cycle the INUs that drift builds up quite fast. It also varies during flight with some periods where the INUs sort themselves out.  I'm regularly seeing position errors of up to 30m (which is totally fine, but worse than other DCS modules that have unrealistically good INS). 

If you combine an 8 digit grid (10m accuracy) with a moving platform that has velocities that might be a few kts out and a position that might be 30m out you'll easily generate some errors of tens of meters, and maybe hundreds on a bad day if everything lines up against you.

The amount of modelling in the INU errors makes me wonder whether there are angular measurement errors being modelled in the TADS too. Might be quite interesting to see what kind of TLE you can expect under different conditions with the current modelling.

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

I admit I don’t understand what you’re talking about with TLE or INU drift in the Apache, but the video and track I provided were from a single player instant action mission where i took off into a hover and began the test. I don’t think drifting gps over time plays into that? But to be fair I have no idea what plays into this, or if it’s even a bug lol. They’re investigating so I’m good with that 

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

45 minutes ago, S. Low said:

I admit I don’t understand what you’re talking about with TLE or INU drift in the Apache, but the video and track I provided were from a single player instant action mission where i took off into a hover and began the test. I don’t think drifting gps over time plays into that? But to be fair I have no idea what plays into this, or if it’s even a bug lol. They’re investigating so I’m good with that 

TLE is just target location error. Its basically the error that will be shown in the location of the thing you are trying to target, based on cumulation of all the little inaccuracies in all the systems that are involved in targeting. 
Eg (made up numbers)
INS position is +- 50m
Laser range is +-10m
TADS angle is +-0.5 deg

Im not going to do the maths because maximum effort, but you can see how lots of relatively little errors in measurements can add up to produce what we are seeing in game: 30m displacement.

Of course this is all assuming that ED have modelled this effect deliberately and its not a bug.

• Thanks 1

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2