Gpu upgrade advice

I got an email from microcenter today of Asus cutting prices for their graphic cards.
I have been meaning to upgrade from my trusty gtx 1060 to the rtx 3070 Ti to help with VR play.
Microcenter has this for $699.99, $100 above msrp, is this a good time jump in on it and get one?

Advice please?

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

For all we know, this may be the best time to buy a GPU in a very long time.... or not.

There'll be new GPU gen launches at the end of the year (Nvidia RTX4000 and AMD RX7000 series) but... even if faster, prices and availability may be horrid again (noone knows).
Intel ARC is getting out in a couple of months, its flagship is supposed to be equivalent to an RTX3070Ti but with 16GB VRAM and at lower prices.... or not.
World going crazy with current events and whatnot, who knows if all of a sudden something drastically inflates GPU prices and cuts their availability once again.... or not.

So, if you want that new GPU right now and it's close to MSRP (unthinkable just a few weeks back), and the above doesn't bother you, then.... why not going for it?

Edited by LucShep
  • Like 1

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | UAD Volt1 + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

For all we know, this may be the best time to buy a GPU in a very long time.... or not.

There'll be new GPU gen launches at the end of the year (Nvidia RTX4000 and AMD RX7000 series) but... even if faster, prices and availability may be horrid again (noone knows).
Intel ARC is getting out in a couple of months, its flagship is supposed to be equivalent to an RTX3070Ti but with 16GB VRAM and at lower prices.... or not.
World going crazy with current events and whatnot, who knows if something drastically inflates GPU prices and cuts their availability once again.... or not.

So, if you want that new GPU right now and it's close to MSRP (unthinkable just a few weeks back), and the above doesn't bother you, then.... why not going for it?
Thanks LucShep, never had a chance like this.
I might just have to go for.
  • Like 1

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Dunno about 3070ti for VR.  Depends on the headset.  Almost certainly not enough for G2 without mods.  It is possible to get even a 3070 running but it's rather complicated.  3080 or better should work right out of the box, 6800 or 6900XT with a bit of tuning

• Like 1

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Dunno about 3070ti for VR.  Depends on the headset.  Almost certainly not enough for G2 without mods.  It is possible to get even a 3070 running but it's rather complicated.  3080 or better should work right out of the box, 6800 or 6900XT with a bit of tuning
Thanks Deltamike.
An overwhelming opinions here seems to go in favour of NVIDIA cards if doing dcs in VR. The green cards does better in 1440p and above comparatively and if this translate to VR which are more like 2k and 4k resolution, they look more situable.

Original plan was to get the red cards because they have lots of vram going for them but was swayed to Nvidia cards.

34 minutes ago, Eaglewings said:

Thanks Deltamike.
An overwhelming here opinion seems to go in favour of NVIDIA cards if doing dcs in VR. The green cards does better in 1440p and above comparatively and if this translate to VR which are more like 2k and 4k resolution, they look more situable.

Original plan was to get the red cards because they have lots of vram going for them but was swayed to Nvidia cards.

Interestingly 6900XT seems a smidge better than the 3080 when tested head to head in DCS, with the G2 anyway.  

Now, the 3080ti.... that's a nice looking GPU.  Wish they were around at today's prices a few months ago.  AMD can't touch that

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Wait a few months.

prices will drop drastically

• Like 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

16 hours ago, DeltaMike said:

Interestingly 6900XT seems a smidge better than the 3080 when tested head to head in DCS, with the G2 anyway. 

The 6900XT should be a bit faster than the 3080. Although nvidia seems to be better in DCS. That might be different if the transition to Vulkan is done (high hopes here). The problem of the 3080 is its VRAM. Even 12 GB could be a bit low for VR in the future. So I wouldn't buy one today. 

It is really difficult today. I would say if you think about VR, you better get all the fastest stuff out there. And as the prices are still high, wait another few months - because you really need FAST Hardware.

• Like 1

14700K | MSI Z690 Carbon | Gigabyte 4090 Gaming OC | 64GB DDR5 6000 G.Skill Ripjaws S5 | Creative SoundBlaster X-FI Titanium HD on a Violectric V90 Headphone amp and Fostex TH600 Headphones | LG 42 C227LA & Samsung C32HG70 | TrackIR 5 | Virpil WarBRD with VFX Grip | Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle | VKB T-Rudder Pedals MK IV 

I only fool around the F-14 - and still having a hard time on it as there is so much to learn and so little time and talent. But I love it.

Wait a few months.

prices will drop drastically
Copy that. Been monitoring closely on a daily bases since launch of new series.
The new openXR tool kit application seems to have just given my card some lifeline for the wait.
Visuals and playability greatly improved with that app in comparison with steamvr .
Thanks as always

The 6900XT should be a bit faster than the 3080. Although nvidia seems to be better in DCS. That might be different if the transition to Vulkan is done (high hopes here). The problem of the 3080 is its VRAM. Even 12 GB could be a bit low for VR in the future. So I wouldn't buy one today. 
It is really difficult today. I would say if you think about VR, you better get all the fastest stuff out there. And as the prices are still high, wait another few months - because you really need FAST Hardware.

I have the same conviction about Vulkan on amd cards. Hopes are really high for the implementation of the new graphic engine and multithread.

Thanks for your thoughts.

41 minutes ago, Eaglewings said:

Copy that. Been monitoring closely on a daily bases since launch of new series.

Well, not only the prices will drop if you wait a bit more, but you'll have next gen released as well which seem to be promising quite a step in performance.

• Like 1

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

...as space heaters 🙂

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I wish Apple would enter the GPU market 🙃

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

3 hours ago, Svsmokey said:

...as space heaters 🙂

the RTX4080 Maybe,

The RX7950 is looking really good.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

...as space heaters
Yeah new series with some trade off.
If rumours are true about watt spec on those gpu, I dealing with heat generated in hot humid conditions isn't going to be fun.
High Watts draw on the gpu and higher electricity cost from cooling the gaming environment.
Wondering if this is same prediction on next Amd card. They seems more energy efficient.

Yeah, I think that top level (highest tier) GPUs will become space heaters.
But the mid/high range (such as RTX4070 and RX7700XT) should still be totally reasonable there, push same (likely better) performance than the current best GPUs, and with less power consumption.

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | UAD Volt1 + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

Yeah, I think that top level (highest tier) GPUs will become space heaters.
But the mid/high range (such as RTX4070 and RX7700XT) should still be totally reasonable there, push same (likely better) performance than the current best GPUs, and with less power consumption.

I have no problem settling for the mid/high range cards and hope the new dcs graphic engine and mulitcore implementation come soon enough to help some.

I wouldn't expect miracles in VR with the card you picked out. The performance is simply not there in DCS World. 

• Like 1

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

On 4/4/2022 at 11:09 AM, Svsmokey said:

...as space heaters 🙂

Don't knock it.  When my gas heater went out, I heated by RV with a 4xR9-290X mining rig one November in Albuquerque and made money doing it.  

Might work in Albuquerque, but if you have the "pleasure" to live in Germany (as I do), you would think twice. I think we have the highest price on electric energy in the whole EU. I wouldn't be surprised if we pay the highest electric bills in the whole world. So no, heating with a mining rig won't allow you to make money.

I actually had a look. The bermudas have to pay more than we have to pay 🤪 So I guess we will see some rising prices - we can't be the number 2 in the world on this one. No way!

Back to topic:

yes, there are rumours about the upcoming nVidia GPUs. We will see what will be the truth. There are chances that this high Wattage numbers could be the spikes. There are pretty insane spikes on the ampere cards too, but they don't have to write that on the box as the current ATX Standard doesn't ask for that. The upcoming ATX Standards force them to tell people such spike Wattage. Even the PSUs must clearly state how high they can handle Power Spikes. I think this is a good thing as I had several PSUs that couldn't handle my GPUs in the past. And that have been brands that are well known and said to be very good - if not "the best"...

• Like 1

14700K | MSI Z690 Carbon | Gigabyte 4090 Gaming OC | 64GB DDR5 6000 G.Skill Ripjaws S5 | Creative SoundBlaster X-FI Titanium HD on a Violectric V90 Headphone amp and Fostex TH600 Headphones | LG 42 C227LA & Samsung C32HG70 | TrackIR 5 | Virpil WarBRD with VFX Grip | Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle | VKB T-Rudder Pedals MK IV 

I only fool around the F-14 - and still having a hard time on it as there is so much to learn and so little time and talent. But I love it.

Nvidia and AMD, for my understanding, design their GPU's to fit the DataCentre needs, there, the actual wattage doesn't count as long as the output justifies it. The same goes for Server CPUs. They need more and more overall wattage, despite the decline in Nanometer and better production tweaks etc.. The chips are designed for most potent customer that gives them the biggest profit. As a spin off, we get the GPU as a "Gaming" GPU at unbelievable prices, too high power consumption and thus heat dumped out ( guys, there is a limit of how much heat you can dump into a case and get it out again without server grade noise and fans ! ).

I can understand the overall wattage rises with core count on CPU's. It doesn't even affect us much as we only use a few cores in most games, we don't compile kernels across a 128 core dual Epyc board and suck in 280w  per socket...over the motherboard. We use 50-80 Watts in DCS roughly with modern CPU's. That is not the issue. 

The elephant callled 3090ti and alikes comes into the room and just kills all your energy/heat calculation, case and fan layout etc... 

I run a watercooled system and I plan to keep it this way and if I upgrade my GPU I will also try to watercool if possible. I really don't wanna think about the issue of a mid-tier midi-size budget tower ( you gotta safe cash to get the 3090ti or 4xxx, reality here ), hopefully a not too shabby PSU and then you dump a constant 300-400w heat from the GPU alone into that case. If you aircool your CPU, add another 50w. I really dont think that is the way it should go. This is really borderline. I assume most of those cards will be watercooled or 4-slot size and a sticker saying "you need a MF-BIG case and a LOT OF FANS bro !"

I really think 250-300w max should be the limit for a GPU in a gaming rig. GPU 250w + CPU 50W air cooled in a mid size tower is already a task. Add another 200w and it gets very expensive or unreliable.

Fast-Cheap-Reliable   Pick any TWO !

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Fellows , I made a move on Evga 3070 last week with price at $649.99 pre tax. Delivery was planned for next week. Saw the same gpu down a little more and cancelled the order. Decided to a give a few more weeks and hope some world trend would not turn things around.

I could spend about the same amount ($699.99) for Asus barebone setup with the following list parts:

• ASUS TUF Gaming GT301 Tempered Glass ATX Mid-Tower Computer Case - Black
  • ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti V2 Mini LHR Overclocked Dual-Fan 8GB GDDR6 PCIe 4.0 Graphics Card
  • ASUS TUF Gaming 650 Watt 80 Plus Bronze ATX Non-Modular Power Supply
  • ASUS B550-F ROG Strix Gaming AMD AM4 ATX.                       
 The above seems to provide a good upgrade path for a rx 5600x cpu from my present i5 7600k. This I reckon can keep going before the Nividia 4000 series and amd 7000 series launches(hoping one can get those when they come out)