What's the most realistic joystick, controller for F-16? are they going to update F-16 to F-16V?

What's the most realistic joystick, controller for F-16C/D? are they going to update F-16 to F-16V?

I'm looking for the most realistic joystick, controller for F -16 C/D.

Thank you all.

44 minutes ago, j889 said:

What's the most realistic joystick, controller for F-16C/D? are they going to update F-16 to F-16V?

I'm looking for the most realistic joystick, controller for F -16 C/D.

Thank you all.

-Stick:

If you want realism, you need force sensing, that's what F-16 uses in real life. Go with RealSimulator FSSB R3L force sensing base + RealSimulator F-16 side grips (for the grip, you can also go with Thrustmaster's Warthog grip or their F-16 grip, but be aware, you will need to do the "Lego trick" if you go with TM's grip, since TM's built quality will not last for force sensing use, it will come lose). FYI, RealSimulator is the only manufacture making force sensing base on the market, so if you want the force sensing experience like the real F-16 stick, their base is your only choice. 

RealSimulator FSSB R3L: https://realsimulator.com/fssb-r3-lighting/

RealSimulator F-16 side grips: https://realsimulator.com/f-16-side-grips/

Lego Trick: 

------------------------------------------

-Throttle: 

RealSimulator is making their F-16 throttle, but it's not avaliable yet. https://realsimulator.com/linear-throttles/

If you need a throttle now, get Winwing's F-16EX Orion Throttle. https://wwsimstore.com/p/342.html

I mean you can also try to find used Thrustmaster Cougar throttle, but that thing is very very outdated. 

-----------------------------------------

-Rudder Pedals: 

Many options, since no one on the market really makes a F-16 rudder pedals replica. IMO, the closest you can get is Slaw Device RX Viper V2 Rudder Pedals https://slawdevice.com/en/glowna/3-rx-viper-v2-rudder-pedals-dark-metallic.html. Unfortunately, it's not avaliable now. But honestly, any decent rudder pedals will do, since you will only use the rudder pedals during taxi, takeoff, and landing. F-16's FLCS automatically does rudder input for you when you are flying, dogfighting, etc. 

Edit: 

My setup:

FSSB R3L + TM Warthog grip + lego trick

Winwing F-16 throttle

RX Viper V1 Rudder

Edited by SCPanda
  • Like 2

Though they are not made anymore, the best for the last 20 years has been the thrustmaster cougar HOTAS. It is a metal made, heavy, exact replica of the F16 stick. You can still get them second hand. The overall quality of these are still unmatched . Wich is why, after 20 years, they are still around. The feel of this HOTAS is just spot on.

The stick is standard not force controlled. However there are several options to convert them to force sensing. Many of them already are.

there is a whole site dedicated to this HOTAS set:

http://www.cougar.flyfoxy.com/

The software and configuration options this thing has is unrivalled. It requires some more effort to program, but even today, the software has more configuration options than any other stick. 

I'm still baffled that they stopped making these, and still more baffled that they havent started producing them again with the coming of the F16 in DCS.

44 minutes ago, nighteyes2017 said:

The overall quality of these are still unmatched

Strongly disagree.
I bought a brand new unit well into the mid 2000s, and apparently came from a "less quality" batch. It was a total nightmare, electronical issues all the way. Sold it by 30 €.
Bought a second hand Warthog, that was sold by 2016 when I quit DCS.
Came back to DCS by 2018, bought another second hand Warthog, which I still use but the disgusting base.
When DCS Viper was released, began looking for a second hand Cougar. Insane pricetags. Finally got one. Joy and base are obviously unsuable, they are so worn. It´s patiently waiting for a cheap FSSB alternative.
Throttle in bad condition as well, so I spent 50€ upgrading the PCB, hall sensor for axis and converting it to USB standalone. Amazing stuff built by a German user, no soldering required. Some grease helped too. Now it´s a great functional piece of hardware.
Foxy software still gives me chills. Never understood that software. I don´t use TARGET either. Both overcomplicate things, and with DCS we have plenty of options.
During these years, several brands have raised to the challenge of building and selling amazing hardware: VKB, Virpil, Winwing (Realsimulator are out of this league IMHO), luckily for users.
Both VKB and Virpil already got a very decent reputation. With Winwing you can check on this very same forum the skeptcism they received when announcing a new Hornet HOTAS from China, and compare those comments with current reviews, they promised and really delivered. The last episode of that career is the amazing reviews and feedback they are getting from the F-16 HOTAS, especially the Throttle unit.
Meanwhile TM has released a Hornet stick (which my unit came faulty by the way), waaaaaaaaaaaay overpriced pendular pedals and applied a blue layer of paint over some TM16000 stock sticks to resell them like brand new Airbus. Oh and again, repacked some 10 year old Warthog base and sticks to sell them as Viper base and sticks, very convenient for the DCS Viper release.
So long story short, TM was the way to go 20 years ago, but not anymore. Others are building better HOTAS with decent pricetag

• Like 2

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

15 hours ago, nighteyes2017 said:

That all may be, but that was not what the op asked for. 

It's properly answered on the second post; realsimulator stuff is truly unmatched. 

The fssb bases have been around for about 20 years I think. It's top quality. 

• Like 1

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle