Civilian human models?

WelshZeCorgi

Technically we got something close to that in the shape of Air Boss etc from Supercarrier already.

Of course someone is going to make a point of doing stupid things with it and there will be some sort of backlash around it, but overall I'd say it'd be a good idea. Just perhaps some other models as place-able entities would be higher priority for me, such as air crew.

• Like 1

Feels like a bad idea to me😕

I can see the appeal for helo pilots flying COIN - who’s a combatant and who is not… but overall, seems like a bad idea.

The news has made flying simulated fast jests and dropping things that go bang feel deeply wrong.

Curiosity around the MiG-29 has brought me back to the virtual cockpit, but I can’t imagine having civilians in the battle space as a good look at the mo

I won't be able to find you a quote (I think it may have been said in an interview a few years ago or something) but I'm pretty sure ED said they won't be doing this - risk of people playing out war crimes situations, etc.

I think they could, and should, do civilian vehicles - airliners, cars, buses, etc. But human models may be too far for them.

Who knows? They may change their minds.

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

Cars and buses already exist. Airliners have been suggested since forever but would probably run afoul of all kinds of licensing and IP issues, so it's the Yak and little else — more for business and legal reasons than for not being a good look.

For actual people… well, there's the airshow crowd static, I guess? 😄

But if you start digging around, most of it is actually there aside from the people. The only unarmed model I can think of off the top of my head is the MANPADS commander models, which could conceivably simply be skin-swapped, but that would leave them pretty much entirely static and with some very weird luggage by their side.

• Like 2

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

I'd be fine with something like that which already exists with the civilian vehicle traffic option.  It's there, but not really there as it has no collision model or anything; it just makes the map look busy. 

+1 for seeing foot traffic around town.

Edited by Baaz

Only if it comes with Arma's wonky physics and AI. I have fond memories of fleeing civilians hitting the deck too close to a wall, glitching through and/or being catapulted into low orbit.

To the handwringers, it's not like this is anything new or never been done before. And, speaking as someone with friends and family affected by current events, I still can separate my video games from reality. It's not suddenly more ''bad taste'' to kill imaginary people now then it was thirty days ago just because there are now white europeans being killed in RL. You same guys didn't bat an eye about bombing missions in Syria, Iran, Caucasus before this, and I assure you, their suffering was no less than these others, and in many cases still ongoing.

If you're going to play a wargame, then play your wargame, it's fine, but moralising about it is hypocritical and disingenous.

Edited by Mars Exulte
  • Like 4

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

• 1 year later...
On 4/3/2022 at 11:58 AM, LooseSeal said:

I won't be able to find you a quote (I think it may have been said in an interview a few years ago or something) but I'm pretty sure ED said they won't be doing this - risk of people playing out war crimes situations, etc.

I think they could, and should, do civilian vehicles - airliners, cars, buses, etc. But human models may be too far for them.

Who knows? They may change their minds.

You never wanted to recreate / reenact the mission of Black Hawk Down? I would love to do this it adds much more realism. Its a SIM, not a arcade game. I already find it boring to create an insurgent mission because we have so little assets to work with, no crowded civilians which you don't want to harm. It adds emersion and its adds purpose to a mission to save civilians from threats, just like Black Hawk Down clearly shows the ethical aspects. Want to help the helpless people but not able to because rules of engagements, only fire when fired upon etc. I'm glad Eight Ball created some civilian vehicles. But we need some more civilians to make it more believable, not everyone drives in a car all day long at some point they have to pee ;).

Edited by Branli
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

Jut built myself a VIP transport mission - some guys n' gals in suits, dresses, casual clothing, with animated movements, would be really great.

Modules: F-14A/B | M-2000C | AJS-37 | Mi-24P F/A-18C | A-10C II | F-16C | UH-1H | F-5E | Mi-8 | FC 3 | AV-8B | A-4E | Gazelle | Ka-50 | Yak-52 | CE2

Maps: Syria | Marianas | NTTR | Persian Gulf | Caucasus

Setup: Virpil WarBRD Base & VFX TM Warthog | Arozzi Velocita Stand | Monstertech Mount | MFG Crosswind | Cougar MFDs | VRInsight Panel | JetSeat 908 | TrackIR