LST TADS camera with JTAC - bugged?

tekrc
Go to solution Solved by frostycab,

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to master Hellfires with JTAC. Missiles hit the targets with no problems but I can't get TADS camera on the lasing spot.

I managed to get it ONCE - hit the slave button and camera went for the target - slighlty off, but still (screenshot attached).

And dont know why it worked that one time. 

Now when I'm trying it goes all the way back, trying to look behind the chopper, in the sky, bal limit everwhere...

After lasing I go with:
sight - TADS
acq - SKR
LT - AUTO
Slave

Is it right or I missing something?

yy.jpg

Edited by dmatt76
typo

This looks kinda logical to me.

Slave redirects your sensor (TADS) to your acquisition source , unslave gives you back control through the TEDAC .

Your acquisition source is the laser seeker, so once the lasing is on, the seeker catches it, and slaving puts your TADS on point

So that should work... provided the seeker finds the laser point, IE is looking in the general vincinity of it, that may be your issue

Do you also have a 9 line from the JTAC? If so, maybe using a markpoint on coordinates and slaving to it would do the trick

Edit : warning, many edits after initial post, I didn't properly read your post in the first place 🙂

Edited by Whisper

Whisper of old OFP & C6 forums, now Kalbuth.

Specs : i7 6700K / MSI 1070 / 32G RAM / SSD / Rift S / Virpil MongooseT50 / Virpil T50 CM2 Throttle / MFG Crosswind.

All but Viggen, Yak52 & F16

On 3/15/2022 at 7:23 PM, AvroLanc said:

Does the lack of the Laser Spot Tracker (LST) feel limiting at all? I feel this should be a priority item over the next month or two, after EA release. Thanks.

On 3/16/2022 at 11:20 PM, llOPPOTATOll said:

You can use the MSL SKR as a ACQ source for a jank LST.

Had to put these here since they were two different quotes. But anyway, they provide what I hopefully think is an answer and a solution to this.

• ED Team

Laser Spot Tracker is a TADS function, and it isn't implemented yet. Setting SKR (Seeker) as the acquisition source allows the TADS to be slaved to the missile seeker if it is tracking a laser designation. But these are separate things, so you don't want to set the LT switch to Auto or Manual if you are using SKR as the ACQ source.

So the OP's steps to slave the TADS to the JTAC laser are correct if you remove the "LT - AUTO" step. It's been tested to work in DCS AH-64D already, and it's pretty handy. It also works for the pilot too since he'll get cueing to the laser designation in his helmet display.  However, to use SKR to see a JTAC designation you need to be carrying at least one AGM-114K Hellfire, the missiles need to be actioned by one of the crewmembers with the TYPE set to SAL, and the designation needs to be within the forward sector of the aircraft.

Edited by Raptor9
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

15 minutes ago, Raptor9 said:

Laser Spot Tracker is a TADS function, and it isn't implemented yet. Setting SKR (Seeker) as the acquisition source allows the TADS to be slaved to the missile seeker if it is tracking a laser designation. But these are separate things, so you don't want to set the LT switch to Auto or Manual if you are using SKR as the ACQ source.

So the OP's steps to slave the TADS to the JTAC laser are correct if you remove the "LT - AUTO" step. It's been tested to work in DCS AH-64D already, and it's pretty handy. It also works for the pilot too since he'll get cueing to the laser designation in his helmet display.  However, to use SKR to see a JTAC designation you need to be carrying at least one AGM-114K Hellfire, the missiles need to be actioned by one of the crewmembers with the TYPE set to SAL, and the designation needs to be within the forward sector of the aircraft.

Thanks. So that's how it worked that one time, without touching LT button. 

Edited by dmatt76

OK
I did some testing and it works only, when after "LASING" from JTAC I switch seats and activate Hellfires again in that seat. Then I can see on IHADSS that Hellfire got lock.
If I stay in the same seat and wait, nothing changes on IHADSS, however the missile will still hit the target, but SKR acq works ony with switching seats

Edited by dmatt76

I have been trying to use a JTAC to lase targets for the hellfire with no success.   I created a target point using the coordinates that the JTAC gave me, however the coordinates are in the following format: PB645283.  How can I convert those coordinates into something that can be entered into the Apache TSD?

Oddly AI JTAC doesn't give full coord. That PB645283 looks like Nevada so it's probably 11S PB 645283. Apache is happy to take MGRS without the spaces. Unless you're unlucky to be right on the edge between two UTM zones you can assume JTAC's target is in the same zone (and lettered grid) as JTAC and probably you as well. It might be easier to throw down a quick target point off TADS and then edit its coordinate. The system helpfully puts the KU cursor at the beginning of the numbers to quickly edit those. If it insists on an 8 digit  grid then just add zeroes (or 5) after the 3rd and 6th digits to pad it out. A 6-digit MGRS is good to a 100x100m box precision.

• Like 2

Thanks for the info.  Yes this is a mission I set up on the Nevada map.  I also created a mission on the Marianas map prior to posting here and did exactly as you said.  I added zero's however it put the target point in the ocean, so I figured I was doing something incorrectly.  My understanding is the Apache requires 8 digits.  I will try this again on the Nevada map.

I don't know how flexible the Apache is on number of digits. I know it will take 8 but not 10. I could see it taing six but if not then padding 123456 should be done like 123x456x to add a least significant digit to the easting and northing.