AH-64 TEDAC unit built

Hello to all, i will here share my work on TEDAC display unit. I am quite in project now, making prototypes, electronics...etc

But first i would like, if it is posible, to get in touch with awesome guy who created tedac unit for ah64 DCS module 🙂

Cheers to you all

tedac1.png

• Like 11

Looks awesome. All 3D printed?

• Like 1

Win 10 PRO 64bit

ASUS Maximus VIII Hero MB

Intel Core i7 6700K 4GHZ

EVGA GTX 980ti

32GB G.Skil Ripjaws DDR3 1866@1600mhz

Sound Blaster Recon 3D

Saitek X55 Rhino Stick

Trakir5 W/Pro clip :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

mfd frame looks good.

how ever your grip dont look doable.. the area housing the trigger and the cursor select is small, not enough to house the cursor select button, the trigger, and wiring between the top assembly and bottom grip.. in long run, it might not be durable, as in the bottom of the grip could snap off the top section of the grip

make the area between it thicker

Edited by hannibal
  • Like 1

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

Well, i already made all of electronics, and grip is done. I am not 100% happy with the grip design, BUT it will have to do for now, until i manage to make something more realistic. However all functions are the same as on real grip, overall dimensions are quite right. 

If anyone has better model of grips, we can talk in pm 🙂

• Like 3

One step closer, finished to integrate the PS4 ministick.

IMG_20220419_180704.jpg

Since the files for the grip are available on thingyverse, I thought it would be a quick one, man was I wrong. 

Trigger and that thing took a while, since I'm not very professional with Fusion360, or with CAD in general. Mostly trial and error, and that's how it will continue. 

IMG_20220419_234241.png

• Like 4

En 2/4/2022 a las 16:18, Alphamike7 dijo:

Hello to all, i will here share my work on TEDAC display unit. I am quite in project now, making prototypes, electronics...etc

But first i would like, if it is posible, to get in touch with awesome guy who created tedac unit for ah64 DCS module 🙂

Cheers to you all

tedac1.png

Hello,

I'm interested in your TEDAC model, your model is incredible, can you share STL files? 

Very impressive....!!!!

Do you want to use own buttons/switches/hats or do you consider to us X-Box-Controllers (or similar devices).
If someone would get one or two X-Box-Controller(s) -> windows compatible!) opened and extract all the switchable-stuff would be a huge advantage.

@Alphamike7: Would you please share you STLs?

man if you're willing to build and sell, Ill be happy to be your first customer!

• Like 3

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

The Boeing MQ-25A Sting Ray = Dirt Devil with wings
 My wallpaper and skins

On 4/19/2022 at 10:41 PM, Lt_Jaeger said:

One step closer, finished to integrate the PS4 ministick.

IMG_20220419_180704.jpg

Since the files for the grip are available on thingyverse, I thought it would be a quick one, man was I wrong. 

Trigger and that thing took a while, since I'm not very professional with Fusion360, or with CAD in general. Mostly trial and error, and that's how it will continue. 

IMG_20220419_234241.png

Damn Jaeger, you got some skills going on there buddy!! 

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Virpil CM3 base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

4 hours ago, ApacheLongbow said:

I'm very interested in starting in 3d printing, but am a little reluctant concerning costs. I still haven't recovered from the economical impact of the pandemic.

How much does a print like this usually cost, including tests and prototyping? What printer do you have?

Cheers

Gees, that is hard to tell.

Let's start with the fixed costs, the printer.

I got the artillery Sidewinder 2, which is rather big for these kinds of work, but, as also a total 3d printing noob, YouTube brought me to the understanding that this thing is idiot-proof. It isn't, of course, but after some testing and stuff, I could get some decent results. Don't get the idea though that you will come up with commercial grade results, but since I fly in VR, I don't care much about appearance.

I paid around 370€, but I believe there are cheaper ones around which produce the same results.

Software:

Free

I use Fusion360 and Cura which are both free. For Fusion, I would wish for the professional features, but I won't pay a couple of hundred € per year, so I get along fine so far, especially since I got no idea of CAD constructing

Filament.

The most filament I waste on printing prototypes like caps and stuff. These don't need much material, so it's in the lower cent area. I believe the grips will do fine with one roll (20 - 30€)of black, and then I have the gray for the knobs and stuff.

Let's say you need 2 rolls, make it 3 for the frame still to be constructed, with being able to print all the knobs as well if you don't care for appearance.

Electronics.

I will do a simple st32 board to emulate a joystick device, so no DCS BIOS and stuff. These things are cheap (~3€) + let's say 30€ for switches and stuff,

I order all my stuff in China, which takes forever but get you better prices. Like, I did order a bag with 400 tactile pushbuttons, which hopefully last me forever.

All this yields to something like that

IMG_20220423_142041.jpg

Not very professional, but it will do the Job, I hope. AND you get a hobby in a hobby. Did so much stuff already around the house with that printer, I cannot imagine how it was without one.

Edited by Lt_Jaeger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not sure if I gonna do a collective.

I'm more of a jet guy. This project is more born out of the "hobby in the hobby" thing and due to the fact, that I did not found a good way to operate the CPG station in VR, while the pilot office is kinda easy to operate with my throttle and stick + PointCTRL. 

Edited by Lt_Jaeger
  • Like 2

On 4/23/2022 at 1:57 AM, ApacheLongbow said:

I'm very interested in starting in 3d printing, but am a little reluctant concerning costs. I still haven't recovered from the economical impact of the pandemic.

How much does a print like this usually cost, including tests and prototyping? What printer do you have?

Cheers

the thing to consider also is electronics, you might have to spend some time looking for th switches/buttons et al that will fit the printed grips...  or else, dive into 3d draftign, and modify the internal cavities to accept the ones that you did find

• Like 1

Very nice! 

Are the 2 thin wires your complete cableing? My TEDAC looks so, the green box is my temporary mounting (Thanx to VR, I dont must see it).....let me know if you found a solution for yours 😉

IMG-7723.jpg

And so is my cableing looking....a big chaos.

IMG-7722.jpg

Edited by kotti
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, kotti said:

Are the 2 thin wires your complete cableing?

No, no, for sure not. Actually, I did not bother  to think about the wiring, since I want to do the "mechanical" part first. It will either be a Matrix or I might use some shift register, not sure yet.

@kotti @Lt_Jaeger @Alphamike7

is this the official, " SHOW US YOUR DIY TEDAC" thread? 🙂

6 months to make the TEDAC and apache collective was worth the time spent.

lessons learn.. if u guys plan to make the tedac or collective, add an additional hat for the George Ai menu... (right now, my collective search light controls are facilitating the george ai menu plus the chop button as hide Ai menu

Screenshot_20220430-105243_Gallery.jpg

Edited by hannibal
  • Like 5

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

@hannibal

Im working currently on your TEDAC MFD frame. Got it printed, waiting for switches. Since I don't want to fit a screen (VR only) I thought I want to place a 4 - way (5 way) for Georg control. 

Then I need to see how to merge it all. Did some measurements for fitting it on my Monstertech. Will be a huge box like 15x15x20cm plus the mounting.

Currently I try to design a spring loaded lock system so I could adjust the grips. Will see how far I get with this.

Actually I know that I won't fly the Apache much, but the setup is a challenge and for a 50+ guy, who never had something to do with designing stuff, let alone 3d printing, it is quiet fun to try it anyway. Kinda hobby in a hobby

Edited by Lt_Jaeger
  • Like 1