AH-64 TEDAC unit built

6 minutes ago, Lt_Jaeger said:

With the Apache there was this gunship 2000 / longbow nostalgic

Yes lots of people had that nostalgia

In many things sometimes its the building process that is the most rewarding.... true of this too I guess.

• Like 1

MSI Z690 EDGE | i5 12600K | RTX 3070 TUF OC 8GB | Kingston Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MHz CL16 | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 |SilverStone 1000W Strider 80+ Platinum PSU | LG 34GN850 UWQHD 160Hz G-Sync HDR IPS 34in Monitor | Antlion Audio ModMic Uni-Directional Microphone with Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Back Studio Headphones | Behringer Xenyx 302USB Mixer | Virpil T-50CM3 Throttle | DELANCLiP head tracking | Gunfighter Mk.III MCE Ultimate | Crosswind Pedals | W10

• Like 1

DCS MT 2.9.4.53707
Modules: UH-1H - SA342 - KA-50 BS3 - MI-24P - MI-8MTV2 - AH-64D - CH-47F(Preorder) - UH-60L(Mod) - A-10CII - F-16C - F/A-18C - FC3 -Combined Arms
 - Supercarrier - NTTR - Normandy2.0 - Persian Gulf - Syria - SA - Sinai - Afghanistan(Preorder) — Waiting for: OH-58D - BO-105 - AH-1G/F(Mod) - OH-6(Mod) - Kola  - Australia - Iraq

DCS-Client: 10900K, 64GB 3600, RTX3090, 500GB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCS), VR VivePro2, PointCTRL, VaicomPro, Wacom Intuos S with VRK v2Beta

DCS-DServer: 11600KF, 32GB 3600, GTX1080, 1TB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCSDServer), DCS Olympus

Simpit: NLR Flightsim Pro, TM Warthog Grip with 30cm Extension + Throttle, VPforce Rhino FFB, Komodo Pedals with Dampers, VPC Rotorplus+CBkit+AH-64D Grip, NLR HF8, Buttkicker (3*MiniConcert), TotalControls AH64D MPD‘s, TM 2*MFD‘s, Streamdecks (1*32,3*15,1*6), VPC CP#1

vor 1 Stunde schrieb 98abaile:

I wonder what small fortune that will cost.

Well, we can expect them not on low prices…….but some might be interested.

DCS MT 2.9.4.53707
Modules: UH-1H - SA342 - KA-50 BS3 - MI-24P - MI-8MTV2 - AH-64D - CH-47F(Preorder) - UH-60L(Mod) - A-10CII - F-16C - F/A-18C - FC3 -Combined Arms
 - Supercarrier - NTTR - Normandy2.0 - Persian Gulf - Syria - SA - Sinai - Afghanistan(Preorder) — Waiting for: OH-58D - BO-105 - AH-1G/F(Mod) - OH-6(Mod) - Kola  - Australia - Iraq

DCS-Client: 10900K, 64GB 3600, RTX3090, 500GB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCS), VR VivePro2, PointCTRL, VaicomPro, Wacom Intuos S with VRK v2Beta

DCS-DServer: 11600KF, 32GB 3600, GTX1080, 1TB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCSDServer), DCS Olympus

Simpit: NLR Flightsim Pro, TM Warthog Grip with 30cm Extension + Throttle, VPforce Rhino FFB, Komodo Pedals with Dampers, VPC Rotorplus+CBkit+AH-64D Grip, NLR HF8, Buttkicker (3*MiniConcert), TotalControls AH64D MPD‘s, TM 2*MFD‘s, Streamdecks (1*32,3*15,1*6), VPC CP#1

• 3 months later...
Am 11.6.2022 um 13:15 schrieb Lt_Jaeger:

I will, but you have at least wait till tomorrow, since I'm away from my computer.

For the Trigger assembly you want to look in thingiverse, I posted the files there.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5368280

The Fusion360 file is actually quite a mess, but I can share as well as soon as I'm back.

Mind that it is not completely finished, since I changed some stuff while building and did not re-check, while other stuff is not incorporated yet, such as the spacing of the grips. They are a little too far apart from each other to my liking. But that would be something to be figured out by you. Since I have no experience in CAD and Fusion the timeline is a total disaster and the way I did a lot of stuff gives a CAD guy most probably a heart attack.

If I forget about sharing, please give me a ping via PM.

Now if I only would know how this Apache stuff would work 🤔 , guess there is no way around readying the f... manual.

Would you mind sending me the Fusion 360 files as well? Your work looks awesome!

On 11/4/2022 at 12:33 PM, subseauk said:

Hi Hannibal, I have also made similar 3d Print on my Prusa, and have completed nearly all the wiring except the 3 rotary controls on the top right and top left of the Screen. Can you tell me what you used for these controllers and did you use the Leo Bodnar BU0836X to convert to USB?  I have 3 rotary encoders I could use but I don't know what signal DCS needs from the controls. I have been told I will need to use Leo Bodnar software but again I don't know how to do this bit!!  Any help or info would be greatly appreciated mate.

Cheers

i never used the Bu0386X.

Encoder Configuration Software

link is found here.

http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=94&products_id=180

when you get it configured, it will act as buttons, confirm it under windows printer and devices, of you Bu0386 joystick properties

@subseauk

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

• 1 month later...

Hey there. I just found this thread now, but I'm also working on a TEDAC of my own. So far I used @hannibal's grips from thingiverse, a variation of @Lt_Jaeger's trigger assembly, and the rest I just did my own design to fit the screen and buttons I'll be using for the MFD. I'll share my progress here. This is how it looks as of today:

rn_image_picker_lib_temp_ea8680e4-5386-48c2-b126-78dcfefbd58e.jpg

For the joysticks, I used these: Potenciómetro de Joystick de J17 B10K, consola de juegos portátil, PSP, 5 unids/lote|Conmutadores| - AliExpress

For the trigger assembly, I'm using a mini limit switch for the 1st detent and a standard 6x6 pushbutton for the 2nd detend. It gives it a really nice feel to it:

IMG_20230306_203849.jpg

I won't use a Leo Bodnar board. Instead I'm using an Arduino Pro Micro with a pcf8575 I/O expander board and a button matrix.

For the screen, I'll be using a 1024 x 768 LCD screen (model HJ080IA-01E). The intention of this project is not to build a 1:1 replica, but to have something that can be used to play. Dimensions are not according to IRL TEDAC. This can be ignored if your plan is to play in VR or you are ok just using the main monitor to see the screen.

@subseauk asked about the knobs in the MFD. Just as a reference, I plan on using two PT-10 pots for the Gain and Level knobs, and a 3 position rotary switch, similar to this: 3 Position 4 Pole MBB Make Before Break Rotary Switch 150mA 250V CK1042 5063200237657 | eBay for the DAY/NT/OFF knob.

WARNING: this is a prototype and a work in progress. I will share the BOM, files, and instructions on how to build it after I've finished it and proven that it works. I might even build a final improved version afterwards for myself, and possible sell this prototype ONLY IF it works, and only by the approximate cost of the materials. It is huge work, and I don't plan of building and selling them. I'm doing it for myself. For that reason, I will share my files and project instructions for free. I'm sure @hannibal worked hard on designing his grips, so if he ever decides to remove them from thingiverse and sell them on etsy, that's his right and nobody can blame him. I for sure will not be including other's work in my shared files, but links to theirs instead.

@Lt_Jaeger @hannibal please let me know if you don't agree with some of the above. I still have some time ahead before I finish, so I don't plan on sharing anything yet in a few weeks.

If anyone wants to start this project before I finish and prove that it works, I'll be happy to help and guide at their own risk.

Edited by Assamita
  • Like 1

That looks sexy, well done. For me, your plans are fine.

If I ever decide to build me a new set of controls (the current one is just held together by hot glue and some desperation - it's a prototype), I will change the trigger design anyhow. So whatever you want to do, I'm fine with it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lt_Jaeger said:

That looks sexy, well done. For me, your plans are fine.

If I ever decide to build me a new set of controls (the current one is just held together by hot glue and some desperation - it's a prototype), I will change the trigger design anyhow. So whatever you want to do, I'm fine with it.

What orientation did you print your grips on? that was quite challenging for me, specially the main body part. I had to "cut" the front button circles and print half circles separatedly and glue them together. Then I had to do a lot of dremel work to them. I would love to have the stp files of the grips to do some modifications. I wrote @hannibal on reddit but didn't get a reply. I've had to dremel a lot of things in the grips and the end result is not as pretty.

Wow Great. Looks fantastic.

I wish I‘d have the technical knowledge doing something like that as well.

DCS MT 2.9.4.53707

7 minutes ago, corbu1 said:

Wow Great. Looks fantastic.

I wish I‘d have the technical knowledge doing something like that as well.

Well, my idea is to build some kind of instructions manual to make it for others as easy to build it as possible. You will need a 3D printer though, or a friend who has one 🙂

vor 5 Minuten schrieb Assamita:

Well, my idea is to build some kind of instructions manual to make it for others as easy to build it as possible. You will need a 3D printer though, or a friend who has one 🙂

That‘s a great idea. Thank you for your efforts and willing to share your knowledge. Very much appriciated!👍

DCS MT 2.9.4.53707

8 hours ago, Assamita said:

Hey there. I just found this thread now, but I'm also working on a TEDAC of my own. So far I used @hannibal's grips from thingiverse, a variation of @Lt_Jaeger's trigger assembly, and the rest I just did my own design to fit the screen and buttons I'll be using for the MFD. I'll share my progress here. This is how it looks as of today:

rn_image_picker_lib_temp_ea8680e4-5386-48c2-b126-78dcfefbd58e.jpg

For the joysticks, I used these: Potenciómetro de Joystick de J17 B10K, consola de juegos portátil, PSP, 5 unids/lote|Conmutadores| - AliExpress

For the trigger assembly, I'm using a mini limit switch for the 1st detent and a standard 6x6 pushbutton for the 2nd detend. It gives it a really nice feel to it:

IMG_20230306_203849.jpg

I won't use a Leo Bodnar board. Instead I'm using an Arduino Pro Micro with a pcf8575 I/O expander board and a button matrix.

For the screen, I'll be using a 1024 x 768 LCD screen (model HJ080IA-01E). The intention of this project is not to build a 1:1 replica, but to have something that can be used to play. Dimensions are not according to IRL TEDAC. This can be ignored if your plan is to play in VR or you are ok just using the main monitor to see the screen.

@subseauk asked about the knobs in the MFD. Just as a reference, I plan on using two PT-10 pots for the Gain and Level knobs, and a 3 position rotary switch, similar to this: 3 Position 4 Pole MBB Make Before Break Rotary Switch 150mA 250V CK1042 5063200237657 | eBay for the DAY/NT/OFF knob.

WARNING: this is a prototype and a work in progress. I will share the BOM, files, and instructions on how to build it after I've finished it and proven that it works. I might even build a final improved version afterwards for myself, and possible sell this prototype ONLY IF it works, and only by the approximate cost of the materials. It is huge work, and I don't plan of building and selling them. I'm doing it for myself. For that reason, I will share my files and project instructions for free. I'm sure @hannibal worked hard on designing his grips, so if he ever decides to remove them from thingiverse and sell them on etsy, that's his right and nobody can blame him. I for sure will not be including other's work in my shared files, but links to theirs instead.

@Lt_Jaeger @hannibal please let me know if you don't agree with some of the above. I still have some time ahead before I finish, so I don't plan on sharing anything yet in a few weeks.

If anyone wants to start this project before I finish and prove that it works, I'll be happy to help and guide at their own risk.

I did the exact same modification to the trigger also, with a microswitch like yours. Works very well indeed.

Your plans are fine, and what ever I shared on thingiverse is not going anywhere.

Hats off to u guys that made a tedac whether from my files or you made your own, the tedac is not an easy thing to build.

What I will say is it is nice to have control on dcs ah64d cp/g and we will be ready for the F15e wso when Razbam drops the mudhen

Edited by hannibal

6 hours ago, 98abaile said:

Ouch those prices. Kodomo stuff is overpriced to begin with, but that's just eye watering.

i think the cost is worth 1100 - 2000 british pounds for the time spent to develop, replicated and make a functioning tedac.

thats alot of wires and buttons to connect, let alone to make mold thats a replica to real one. spend the money and forget, or spend months making one yourself.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just missing some final touches, mine is finished and working. I will now be working on the website where I'll explain how to build it yourself: https://srsosio.wixsite.com/ah-64d-tedac

It's still in progress, so feel free to ask me anything here if you need to in the meantime.

On 4/14/2023 at 12:58 AM, Leavvv said:

@Lt_Jaegercould you send me the Cursor/Man Track joystick mount model? cant find one anywhere and have tried designing my own, however both designs have not worked.

Not many people realizes it, but in the real thing (and what's modeled in DCS) the cursor is a 4 position + center pushbutton switch, and the Man Track is a joystick.

If it's of any help, for the cursor in my project I used a RKJXT1F42001. It's a little bit annoying becayse I haven't been able to find proper 4 way hat switches with center pushbutton. This one is that, but:

- it's also a rotary encoder, so the shaft also rotates (but it's stiff, so I don't think it should be too big of a problem)

- when pressing any of the 4 directions, the center push is also actuated. I've managed to correct that in the Arduino code

You could also use:

RKJXM: downside to this is that it's an 8 position hat switch, which is not too big of a deal, the wiring is different, and it also pushes the center button when pressing to any direction. The upside is that it does not have a rotary encoder function, so the shaft doesn't rotate.

Something like this (I don't know the part number): upside is that it does exactly what it is supposed to do, with 4 way positions and a center pushbutton, the downside is that it's a little bit flimsy and wabbly in the center. I didn't like the feel of it.

For the manual track joystick, I used one of these: https://es.aliexpress.com/item/32980616037.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.121.21ef194dTmc6Ue&gatewayAdapt=glo2esp

And it gives it a nice and realistic feel.

IMG_20230424_083218.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2023 at 9:00 AM, Assamita said:

Just missing some final touches, mine is finished and working. I will now be working on the website where I'll explain how to build it yourself: https://srsosio.wixsite.com/ah-64d-tedac

It's still in progress, so feel free to ask me anything here if you need to in the meantime.

Not many people realizes it, but in the real thing (and what's modeled in DCS) the cursor is a 4 position + center pushbutton switch, and the Man Track is a joystick.

If it's of any help, for the cursor in my project I used a RKJXT1F42001. It's a little bit annoying becayse I haven't been able to find proper 4 way hat switches with center pushbutton. This one is that, but:

- it's also a rotary encoder, so the shaft also rotates (but it's stiff, so I don't think it should be too big of a problem)

- when pressing any of the 4 directions, the center push is also actuated. I've managed to correct that in the Arduino code

You could also use:

RKJXM: downside to this is that it's an 8 position hat switch, which is not too big of a deal, the wiring is different, and it also pushes the center button when pressing to any direction. The upside is that it does not have a rotary encoder function, so the shaft doesn't rotate.

Something like this (I don't know the part number): upside is that it does exactly what it is supposed to do, with 4 way positions and a center pushbutton, the downside is that it's a little bit flimsy and wabbly in the center. I didn't like the feel of it.

For the manual track joystick, I used one of these: https://es.aliexpress.com/item/32980616037.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.121.21ef194dTmc6Ue&gatewayAdapt=glo2esp

And it gives it a nice and realistic feel.

IMG_20230424_083218.jpg

Nice! I’ll check out your site soon!