Jittery night vision with VR

arneh

This is not a bug in DCS per se, but a problem I hope to get some help with.

When using PNVS with VR (occulus quest 2), there are tiny jitters in the head movement all the time. During simulated day time or when using the night vision goggles it's not a problem, but when using PNVS then it makes it very shaky, and gives me dizziness and headache after a while. I believe this is because there is a tiny delay in the movement of the PNVS.

I was wondering if anyone knows if there is any way to smooth the head tracking of the Quest (I have not found any such setting myself). Some people will probably just tell me to to keep my head more still, but even when it's sitting on it's own on the table it will still create tiny movements, so it's a problem with my Quest's tracking ability.

If Quest does not have any smoothing built in, is there a possibility that DCS could add some sort of option to smooth head movement, or at least the PNVS movement? I'm sure I can't be the only one who have this problem... And I love the VR implementation of the Apache, so would love to continue to use it, but as it is it's nearly impossible for me to use PNVS 😞

I attached a short track of me keeping my head still which shows how this problem appears to me.

jitters.trk

• Like 1

I have same issue (Reverb G2 here), no problem with NVG but with PNVS is not smooth tracking. I can even feel a bit even with only the HIDASS symbology.

From pilot seat you can see this small “lag” even in the PNVS sight in the nose.

Not a perfomance issue, I see good frame rate in the rest of the scenary.

Weird, If I selected TADS in the HDM it seems the refresh rate is faster than PVNS, but of course the turning rate is slower.

I tried PVNS with accelerate time just for testing and is very smooth, so strange.

• Like 2

I agree, the PNVS is nowhere near as smooth as the image you see when switching over to NVGs. I don't know if this is accurate to the real thing or not, as it could conceivably just be a limitation within the real hardware/software. (I'd be surprised if it was though. It's not like the US military is scared of spending money to get rid of issues like this. 😛)

• Like 1

I think its because VR headsets pick up all the micro movements your head makes, normally your eyes compensate for this to a degree but its really noticeable with the PNVS. I wish there was a way you could reduce the sensitivity of headsets. Not so much to induce any lag but to average out all the micro movements picked up by your head.

I have a really strong pulse in my neck and I can visibly see this movement when I'm trying to boresight the HMD as well as using the PNVS, I'm sure this could be filtered out 🤔

1 hour ago, frostycab said:

I agree, the PNVS is nowhere near as smooth as the image you see when switching over to NVGs. I don't know if this is accurate to the real thing or not, as it could conceivably just be a limitation within the real hardware/software. (I'd be surprised if it was though. It's not like the US military is scared of spending money to get rid of issues like this. 😛)

Here Casmo explains why

(from min 5.00)

Edited by pokeraccio

pokeraccio, Casmo is talking about the different slew rate between PNVS and TADs, PNVS being faster (120 degress per second).

But we are talking here about refresh rate, is like the PNVS goes for 12 fps while movig the head, and all around is nice and smooth. Even when you move your head very slow, you get a bit of lag and shaky image.

I know it would be difficult for developers (and perfomance wise, hehe) but this kind of level of smoothness would be really nice:

Edited by nachomaga
  • Like 1

Can't use the PNVS in headtracking mode during night as the jitter causes horrible nausea even when projected onto both eyes. In fixed forward mode there are no issues. By adding some heavy averaging to the HMD head position this issue can likely be done away with.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, nachomaga said:

But we are talking here about refresh rate, is like the PNVS goes for 12 fps while movig the head, and all around is nice and smooth. Even when you move your head very slow, you get a bit of lag and shaky image.

The refresh rate can be improved if you update the settings for "Res of cockpit displays" to "x every frame".
But it's still jittery 😞

On 4/3/2022 at 12:01 AM, nachomaga said:

pokeraccio, Casmo is talking about the different slew rate between PNVS and TADs, PNVS being faster (120 degress per second).

I know it would be difficult for developers (and perfomance wise, hehe) but this kind of level of smoothness would be really nice:

Copy that, sorry guys, I misread the troubles you were facing