Moving from TM to Virpil how simple is it to use in DCS

Hotdognz

Hi guys I picked up the following from a friend who has given up flight Sims, all items are 3 months old.
MongoosT-50CM2 Base - Constellation ALPHA-R stick
MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Currently I have the Tm Warthog being used without the TARGET software, everything's mapped for my modules and I have found it easy to use and I use a modifier to extend its use for more buttons, when I plug the Virpil gear in will I just be able to jump in to DCS and re-map my controls as I need like with the Warthog or do i have to jump through some hoops with the Virpil softwear.

Cheers

Nope just map them directly in the game controller setup and they will do just fine. You can also assign buttons as modifiers in there was well.

Nice choice on hardware you should be well pleased. I have the Virpil CM3 throttle and absolutely love it, for going on close to a year now.

You will want to calibrate it in only in the Virpil software though, so be aware of that and do the calibration first.

Edited by dburne
  • Thanks 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

8 minutes ago, dburne said:

Nope just map them directly in the game controller setup and they will do just fine. You can also assign buttons as modifiers in there was well.

Nice choice on hardware you should be well pleased. I have the Virpil CM3 throttle and absolutely love it, for going on close to a year now.

You will want to calibrate it in only in the Virpil software though, so be aware of that and do the calibration first.

Thanks that sounds easy then, so just a first time calibration in the Virpil software and then good to go, looking forward to seeing the difference vs my Warthog and it combined with my new PointCtrl 🙂

9 hours ago, Hotdognz said:

Thanks that sounds easy then, so just a first time calibration in the Virpil software and then good to go, looking forward to seeing the difference vs my Warthog and it combined with my new PointCtrl 🙂

:thumbup:

Currently running Virpil CM3 Throttle , Point Control, and Gunfighter Mk III with 200mm extension. Very happy with all my devices.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

You are aware that the Virpil Base does accept the Warthog grip, right? So you wouldnt even need to get used to this constellation grip. Just checking :).

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

Yep. Just wanted to let you know in case you didnt knew it yet.

Enjoy the superior base.

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

Another nice thing about Virpil is that you can change the VendorID and ProductID within the Virpil software in case you use Target scripts. I only have the Virpil Warbrd base and am using it with a Cougar grip and it works great with Target.  The Warthog grip works as well, but Virpil does not recognize the thumb hat push button.  All other buttons are fine.

Abit IN9 32x MAX- Kentsfield QX6700 @3520

1.5 vcore watercooled D-Tek Fuzion/PA-160/MCR120/2x MCP655

2x2GB G-Skill 1066 5-5-5-15 2T@1.9vdimm

2x EVGA 580GTX 1.5GB SLI

2x 74GB Sata Raptor Raid0

2x 320GB Hitachi Sata II

X-FI Elite Pro

Dell U3011

Lian Li V2100B

Corsair HX1000

11 hours ago, Slammin said:

The Warthog grip works as well, but Virpil does not recognize the thumb hat push button.

That's probably something unique to your setup. Virpil recognizes the Warthog grip just fine, and it's CMS push, which the Cougar (as I understand) doesn't have. It sounds like it might be an issue with device ID's or the profile you're using.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ah, good to know and I will look into that because we need every button we can get.

It's not a really big deal since I'm usually using the Cougar A10 grip because sometimes I like the softer buttons vs the Warthog A10 grip but if I can get the CMS push button to work I may switch back.

Just installed latest VPC Configuration software and updated firmware but still no joy.  Weird that Virpil Controls sees CMS hat pressed as button 7 and TMS up as button 12, and also shows slots for 128 buttons.  VPC Joystick Tester app only shows slots for 18 buttons and it does not register CMS pressed, but shows TMS up as button 7.  Windows game controller also shows TMS up as button 7 but also does not detect CMS pressed.

Anyone have any idea how to get CMS pressed recognized by Windows?

Edited by Slammin
update

Abit IN9 32x MAX- Kentsfield QX6700 @3520

1.5 vcore watercooled D-Tek Fuzion/PA-160/MCR120/2x MCP655

2x2GB G-Skill 1066 5-5-5-15 2T@1.9vdimm

2x EVGA 580GTX 1.5GB SLI

2x 74GB Sata Raptor Raid0

2x 320GB Hitachi Sata II

X-FI Elite Pro

Dell U3011

Lian Li V2100B

Corsair HX1000

For OP make sure you read the instruction for install trice before doing it. The biggest thing is updating the firmware while the device is the only thing plugged in at the time. Other than that (and the other instructions), enjoy! I recently made the switch too. If you want some interesting tips on how to get lots of useful buttons, let me know. Think I was set and ready to go to then add a handful of buttons via the software to then have to remap my modules was slightly annoying. 

22 hours ago, Bailey said:

For OP make sure you read the instruction for install trice before doing it. The biggest thing is updating the firmware while the device is the only thing plugged in at the time. Other than that (and the other instructions), enjoy! I recently made the switch too. If you want some interesting tips on how to get lots of useful buttons, let me know. Think I was set and ready to go to then add a handful of buttons via the software to then have to remap my modules was slightly annoying. 

Thanks Bailey, see my other post in here a couple hrs ago I'm asking for tips and suggestions, be very happy for you to share with me your tips

On 4/12/2022 at 11:07 AM, Hotdognz said:

Thanks Bailey, see my other post in here a couple hrs ago I'm asking for tips and suggestions, be very happy for you to share with me your tips

I set up as many buttons on as many axes as reasonably possible. Idle, max, 50%, etc. To include the thumbstick on the throttle. And % ranges too. Now that I have done that, I can go from module to module and bind everything I ever needed to. If you decide to do this later you may have to rebind all of your modules because the button IDs are likely to change on ya.

23 hours ago, Bailey said:

I set up as many buttons on as many axes as reasonably possible. Idle, max, 50%, etc. To include the thumbstick on the throttle. And % ranges too. Now that I have done that, I can go from module to module and bind everything I ever needed to. If you decide to do this later you may have to rebind all of your modules because the button IDs are likely to change on ya.

Hi Bailey can you explain some more sorry as im not following what you mean by saying you bind the buttons on the axis and include the thumbstick, also the % range has me confused too.

• 1 month later...

For example, the flaps lever is analogue. That's fine for some some modules but for others there's no analogue option for flaps, just buttons. You can specify, again just an example, that 0-30% is a virtual button and 70-100% is a virtual button. Now you can use the flaps lever as an analogue control or an on-off-on toggle switch (like the warthog flaps lever) depending on how you bind it. If you have 40-60% also setup as a virtual button then you can also bind it as an on-on-on toggle switch. 

You'll want to do the same with the slider and setup virtual buttons for the idle detent as well (there are no idle detent buttons without configuring this) at minimum.

Edited by Scott-S6

Axis to button feature in Virpil software is a very nice feature for sure. They made it so simple even I can do it lol.

Edited by dburne

Don B