White Line Rocket Trick: Found an awesome way to use rockets in CCIP (Like the Huey and Hind)

Frag

Earlier today, I was complaining in another thread how hard it was to use the rockets system with the Apache. That ole chasing of the vertical bar while chasing the target with trackir/target cue was hell to use.

But I did found an awesome trick tonight, which will let you use the rocket like we all use it in CCIP mode with planes.

The White Line Rocket Trick

So here it is:

1. Make sure that your radar altimeter is on. On the MFD, select FLT->SET->RADAR ALTIMETER

2. Set your rocket range to Auto. (Tons of videos on this)

3. Spot the white line on the half cup object in front of you. I think it is the helmet of the gunner but not sure 100%. I am pointing it out on the following screenshot. That white line is straight in the middle of the cockpit, therefore pointing directly where the rocket will hit horizontally.

4. Now place your targeting cue just a bit over it and do not move it. You now have a CCIP point like we all have in airplanes. Forget about the rocket vertical bar, it will usually be close enough if you are flying toward your target. Also it is easy to leave the cue there since there is usually a small dead zone for trackir in that area.

5. Point the chopper so your target will pass thru target cue. Fire when the target is on the cue.

7D6Hfbs.png

Briefly, I am not even looking at the rocket vertical bar anymore. With this trick, I instantly became as precise with my rockets as I am with the Huey and the Hind. 

Enjoy your new rocket sniper skill. I experimented with different speed and altitude. The following one is a direct hit at 600 feet while flying at 123 knots. I rarely miss now.

ilRtcCZ.png

I thought it was worth sharing ...

Edited by Frag
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Interesting idea! The rockets sure can be used in a lot of different ways.

I currently find it easiest to treat them similar to the gun. Everybody agrees the Apache's gun is awesome and easy to use, right? I like to think of the rockets as a gun that can only fire straight forward (but can adjust up/down). So my current method for aiming rockets is as follows

1. fly straight towards the target (either line the target up with the diamond on the HUD or use the white line you discovered, whichever one finds easier)

2. periodically look at the target (place LOS reticule on target)

3. if target is in range (I-beam becomes solid) FIRE.  If not in range, wait a bit then GOTO 2.

That way I don't have to keep my head still for a long time. I just need to keep flying straight towards the target, periodically look at the target and decide if I want to take the shot. I tend to mostly ignore the I-Beam, but in that final phase it can be very useful to see if a.) you are in range and b.) you are lined up correctly

Edited by cow_art
edit for clarity
  • Like 2

Yeah, using the CPG's head as a sight might mean you're doing it wrong. 🙂

Sorry, this might work, but....no. The guys head is going to be animated at some point, I'd rather focus on learning to use the system as best you can. It's not staggeringly hard to be honest.

• Like 1

Yeah I do realize that the head of the gunner will be animated somewhere later on this year. But at this point, I will know where the reference point is, as he will still look forward commonly. Do not get me wrong, I do know that the cpg helmet was not designed to be a CCIP sight LOL. Just wanted to help out since many... like me ... just cannot use the vertical bar system efficiently.

By doing this, I am quite efficient now. Wanted to share...

My next step is to ask George to stick a WW1 wire cross sight on the top of his helmet 🙂 Cant wait to see the face of the other officers in the briefing room LOLL

fsqEYtJ.jpg

Edited by Frag
  • Like 10

12 hours ago, FrostLaufeyson said:

I tried it

This is truely an awesome way 😎

Thats the way its done IMO. You line up the helo with nose 2 tail trim and the I beam is just an aid to tell you if its within constraints, you also have a little wiggle room for additional aiming up or down. But generally it all has to be lined up to make a accurate shot. They are unguided so of course you have to be lined up. Not sure why so many are having issues . Are you trying to shoot left or right like the gun can? I never even read the manual on rockets and could do it. (yes I am amazing 🙂 ) I've killed about a thousand trains this week alone 🙂 

Good luck

刚才,pii说:

Thats the way its done IMO. You line up the helo with nose 2 tail trim and the I beam is just an aid to tell you if its within constraints, you also have a little wiggle room for additional aiming up or down. But generally it all has to be lined up to make a accurate shot. They are unguided so of course you have to be lined up. Not sure why so many are having issues . Are you trying to shoot left or right like the gun can? I never even read the manual on rockets and could do it. (yes I am amazing 🙂 ) I've killed about a thousand trains this week alone 🙂 

Good luck

I know how it works, but the movement of the head combined with the shaking of the symbol often confuses me. Usually I use the COOP mode to attack the target while hovering, and when I am moving and attacking at close range, I often reverse the direction of the correction.

6 hours ago, ARM505 said:

Yeah, using the CPG's head as a sight might mean you're doing it wrong. 🙂

Sorry, this might work, but....no. The guys head is going to be animated at some point, I'd rather focus on learning to use the system as best you can. It's not staggeringly hard to be honest.

I'd say its quite easy They're just rocket just like every other flight sim with unguided rockets. they just have a lttle more option for range which you set with your helmet sight.

2 minutes ago, FrostLaufeyson said:

I know how it works, but the movement of the head combined with the shaking of the symbol often confuses me. Usually I use the COOP mode to attack the target while hovering, and when I am moving and attacking at close range, I often reverse the direction of the correction.

What symbols are shaking? I have none of that, maybe that the problem/bug? And why do you even have to move your head? Just fly straight and trimmed and it will all line up Don't chase the I beam . If that doesn't work just kamaikaze into them 🙂 

14分钟前,pii说:

What symbols are shaking? I have none of that, maybe that the problem/bug? And why do you even have to move your head? Just fly straight and trimmed and it will all line up Don't chase the I beam . If that doesn't work just kamaikaze into them 🙂 

When I use the helmet to aim at the target, the I-beam goes sideways and then I need to step on the rudder to get the helicopter on target, which throws my helmet off the target. Next, I was overwhelmed by the shaking of the helicopter, and the I-beam shaked as well. Either realigning with the helmet, or firing a rocket directly as a reference, makes the whole attack a bit problematic.

As much as I like to use rockets to attack, they don't work very well in DCS, so I have relatively little practice with rockets.

During this half month, I mainly practice hovering and rappelling. But I'm using an Xbox One S controller (my Hotas device isn't around), so there's often a lot of shaking when stepping the rudder. Still need a lot of practise 😢

1 hour ago, FrostLaufeyson said:

When I use the helmet to aim at the target, the I-beam goes sideways and then I need to step on the rudder to get the helicopter on target, which throws my helmet off the target. Next, I was overwhelmed by the shaking of the helicopter, and the I-beam shaked as well. Either realigning with the helmet, or firing a rocket directly as a reference, makes the whole attack a bit problematic.

As much as I like to use rockets to attack, they don't work very well in DCS, so I have relatively little practice with rockets.

During this half month, I mainly practice hovering and rappelling. But I'm using an Xbox One S controller (my Hotas device isn't around), so there's often a lot of shaking when stepping the rudder. Still need a lot of practise 😢

I think your problem is you are chasing the I beam DON'T DO THAT!  chase the target. 🙂 

I also still need TONS more practice but rockets isn't one of them 🙂 Good luck and happy flying

12 hours ago, Frag said:

Yeah I do realize that the head of the gunner will be animated somewhere later on this year. But at this point, I will know where the reference point is, as he will still look forward commonly. Do not get me wrong, I do know that the cpg helmet was not designed to be a CCIP sight LOL. Just wanted to help out since many... like me ... just cannot use the vertical bar system efficiently.

By doing this, I am quite efficient now. Wanted to share...

My next step is to ask George to stick a WW1 wire cross sight on the top of his helmet 🙂 Cant wait to see the face of the other officers in the briefing room LOLL

fsqEYtJ.jpg

lol

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2022 at 5:02 AM, cow_art said:

a.) you are in range and b.) you are lined up correctly

No kidding? That is why it is there. It's an aiming aid. If you don't have the beam in line with you direction and sight you will miss, you can't just say "I'm in range fire" . 

2 hours ago, pii said:

No kidding? That is why it is there. It's an aiming aid. If you don't have the beam in line with you direction and sight you will miss, you can't just say "I'm in range fire" . 

Yea, true. If you quote it like that it sounds trivial and silly 🙂  Sorry for being unclear.

What I meant to say was that during that kind of attack it works well for me to not chase the I-Beam for the entire attack run. Keeping the LOS indicator on the target for a longer time can feel awkward (that was the premise of the entire discussion). Instead I just run in roughly aligned with the target. I only put the LOS on the target when I am almost ready to fire (and then briefly use the I-Beam to fine-tune my aim). I realize that's probably not proper technique, but in DCS it has worked well for me so far.

Thx for idea, I’ll try it. However with some of practices to hit a target by unguided rockets isnt a big problem (with IHADSS).

On 4/3/2022 at 8:07 AM, Rabies said:

Great idea, but I do believe they will be implementing head movement in CPG George 👀😳🤦‍♂️

Its possible, in multilayer with CPG as player.

image.jpeg

Edited by YoYo
  • Like 2

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

On 4/16/2022 at 3:37 PM, cow_art said:

Yea, true. If you quote it like that it sounds trivial and silly 🙂  Sorry for being unclear.

What I meant to say was that during that kind of attack it works well for me to not chase the I-Beam for the entire attack run. Keeping the LOS indicator on the target for a longer time can feel awkward (that was the premise of the entire discussion). Instead I just run in roughly aligned with the target. I only put the LOS on the target when I am almost ready to fire (and then briefly use the I-Beam to fine-tune my aim). I realize that's probably not proper technique, but in DCS it has worked well for me so far.

Another good way to get into how it works is to turn just your head until it lines up with the I beam and then fly towards your target.