CPG where is the tads looking?

eric-b92
Go to solution Solved by hotrod525,

Hi there!

When i slave the tads to my sight i can see the dotted cross moving to my sight. However when i deslave that cross is gone, loosing my visual que where the tads is looking.

Any way to make it show up?

Thank you

• Solution

Yes, put you're ACQ to TADS as either pilot or CPG and you'll have the "cross hair" in the IHADSS, just know that if you are CPG and have HMD - SIGHT and TADS - ACQ you wont be able to move the TADS camera, you'll have to choose TADS as SIGHT.

Hope it help'

PS : Same would apply to let's say you want to see where youre pilot or CPG is looking with it's helmet, put PHS / GHS as ACQ and you'll have the cross hair. IF the crosshair dont appear, try to SLAVE your HMD sight to youre selected ACQ.

Edited by hotrod525

I’m trying to figure this myself. So, as pilot, I can set my ACQ to TADS and see where the CPG is looking with the TADS. However, in the CPG seat, I can’t have TADS set as both sight and ACQ. The reason I want to do this is so I also get the dashed cross on my HMD where the TADS is currently looking, it would help to identify visually something I’m looking at with the TADS.

Am I correct reading above that the only way I could do this would be to deselect TADS as sight, so that I can select it as ACQ? I feel like there should be a more streamlined way for me to quickly look outside the cockpit and know where my TADS is looking…?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

On 4/4/2022 at 4:10 PM, Sandman1330 said:

I’m trying to figure this myself. So, as pilot, I can set my ACQ to TADS and see where the CPG is looking with the TADS. However, in the CPG seat, I can’t have TADS set as both sight and ACQ. The reason I want to do this is so I also get the dashed cross on my HMD where the TADS is currently looking, it would help to identify visually something I’m looking at with the TADS.

Am I correct reading above that the only way I could do this would be to deselect TADS as sight, so that I can select it as ACQ? I feel like there should be a more streamlined way for me to quickly look outside the cockpit and know where my TADS is looking…?

Hi Sandman, 

I'm fumbling through the fog here myself, and barely touched the CPG seat ... but as a human CPG, would one approach be to drop a target point at where the TADs is looking at then reference that as an ACQ?

5 hours ago, Bearfoot said:

Hi Sandman, 

I'm fumbling through the fog here myself, and barely touched the CPG seat ... but as a human CPG, would one approach be to drop a target point at where the TADs is looking at then reference that as an ACQ?

I’m no expert either, but that is what I tend to do. It also allows me to “reset” to a known point when needed. But it’s a poor workaround for not being able to see where it’s pointed in the HMD, which is strange since the pilot can.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

On 4/5/2022 at 1:10 AM, Sandman1330 said:

It is streamlined, slave your HMD to TADS and you'll see the guide dots and dashed crosshair where TADS is pointing.

You can also do the other way around. Slave your TADS to HMD (GHS) and it will follow where you're looking.

Slave button is the connecting link in the Sight-ACQ system.

Edited by PlainSight
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

7 hours ago, PlainSight said:

It is streamlined, slave your HMD to TADS and you'll see the guide dots and dashed crosshair where TADS is pointing.

Perhaps I’m missing something then. In the CPG seat, when I have TADS selected as sight, I do not have the option to select TADS as acquisition source, which I need to do in order to see it in my HMD. The pilot has that option and can do this, but the TADS is not in the list for me in the CPG seat when TADS is the selected sight.

When you have TADS selected as sight, you can freely move it around or slave it to other ACQ sources. You see its image in the HMD, that's how you know that's your sight. Making it look onto itself doesn't make sense.

You can slave it to a fixed position, your or pilots line of sight, or to a waypoint. Not sure why you'd want to slave it onto itself, which cannot be done.

TADS as ACQ source is more for the pilot, for him to see where to point the helicopter. If you're already looking and aiming with TADS as a CPG, you don't need to know where it's pointing anyway. Pilot will turn the helicopter to point at the target.

EDIT: Plus you can always see where TADS is pointing on the TSD map. You'll always see a line from the helicopter to where you're looking.

Edited by PlainSight
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I guess the case where it would be useful would be a situation where you “lose” the TADS. You are searching the area ahead, and want to correlate the area it is looking with your view outside.

Maybe you see something outside, so you set C-HMD as Acq, slave to it and get the tads into the right area, but once you unslave and start moving the tads around, you may need to fine tune where it’s looking onto the exact spot you want to investigate. Or you go too far one way and want to get back without having to change Acq back to HMD. It would be easier to walk the cross into the right area by looking outside, then transition to looking inside.

I just still find it very strange that the pilot can get the cross where the tads is looking, but CPG cannot.