Assistance in training requested.

persius

I didn't know what category to post this question so I'm presenting it here.

I finally have F-16 installed and I'm preparing to train.  I have some question first.

1. Is there a keyboard shortcut diagram somewhere for the controls that I can print out? 

2. I want to look at the panels and zoom in to see greater detail especially when learning the engine startup procedure.   Is there a zoom option available?  

3. Regarding the training manual.  How accurate is it as related to training?  Can I rely on it or should I follow the training videos provided?  Here is why I ask.   I used to fly Falcon BMS and the manual was a nuisance, practically useless.  The directions were too confusing to follow.   I simply like to have a reference guide close to me while I'm learning.  

Thank you.

Edited by persius

1 hour ago, persius said:

1. Is there a keyboard shortcut diagram somewhere for the controls that I can print out? 

I have not seen one, but you can make your own easily, as DCS allows you to export the controls list in HTML format, with this button:

u6HLc9z.jpg

from HTML you can convert it into whatever form you prefer, for me I used a spreadsheet as it allows me to easily filter the Controls by Catgory:

fkBPEv2.jpg

2. I want to look at the panels and zoom in to see greater detail especially when learning the engine startup procedure.   Is there a zoom option available?  

Yes, look into the View Cockpit section of the Controls, There is Zoom In and out, using both keyboard or an axis. Also you can try the Snap-view keys (Left Win Key + numeric keypad keys)

3. Regarding the training manual.  How accurate is it as related to training? 

In my opinion, the ED manual is pretty good, but many people prefer the graphical Guides written by Chuck. You can also place any document on your kneeboard, it looks like this:

rnpBoKF.jpg

Can I rely on it or should I follow the training videos provided? 

It is a matter of taste, videos are useful to clear up doubts, but I enjoy more reading the manuals.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Thank you for your help.   I found & downloaded the "Chuck's guide". It's huge!  

You mentioned a kneepad.  Does the sim offer an actual kneepad in the cockpit for reference (Falcon BMS had one in game) or are you suggesting I just make up a pad with notes and keep it next to me while flying?   I'm sorry if I misunderstood.

Thank you again for the other answers.  Much appreciated.

4 minutes ago, persius said:

You mentioned a kneepad.  Does the sim offer an actual kneepad in the cockpit for reference (Falcon BMS had one in game)

Yes, DCS has a kneeboard, that allows you to see in-cockpit any information that you have placed at a pre-defined folder. Page 109 of the DCS User Manual describes how to use it. However, an old fashioned paper notebook will allow you to write your own personal notes while flying (pausing the Sim first, ofc)  🙂

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Hi Rudel_chw

Sorry to be troubling you again but I'm hoping to get some advice please.    You explained the process of zooming in and out but I think I'm doing something wrong.

The video tutorial on cold starts shows the user fluidly zooming in and out and moving around the cockpit and this is what I'm trying to do.  I don't know if he's using the mouse or control stick.    Here is the link if you can take a moment to look at:

At time frame 2:10 he fluidly zooms in and moves up and down.  I can't mimic that movement.   Can you suggest what I need to do?

So far I can look around the cockpit using the arrow buttons on my number bad but not as nicely as he does.  

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Thank you.

18 minutes ago, persius said:

The video tutorial on cold starts shows the user fluidly zooming in and out and moving around the cockpit and this is what I'm trying to do.  I don't know if he's using the mouse or control stick.

Neither, he is using a headtracking device … here is more info:

I use one too, but I went for a cheaper knock-off of TrackIR, this one:

https://delanengineering.com/shop/#!/DELANCLiP-Gamer-Complete-Kit-Wired/p/43397050/category=68238008

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, persius said:

Just when I thought I'm starting to understand, a new surprise pops up.

In my opinion, a headtracking device is the single most significant sim hardware that you can buy .. perhaps even more than a Hotas is:

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, persius said:

From your experience, do all IRTrackers have a zoom feature?

Not that I know off ... on mine I have two ways to zoom in on something: one is to move my head nearer the object I'm interested in. The second way is using the DCS control bindings for zooming the view. The DCS zoom controls can be binded to keys on the keyboard, to an axis on the HOTAS (I use this option), or to one of the axes of the Headtracker (I don't like this, as I prefer to use all the 6 axes of the headtracker just for movement, not zoom).

• Like 1

Not that I know off ... on mine I have two ways to zoom in on something: one is to move my head nearer the object I'm interested in. The second way is using the DCS control bindings for zooming the view. The DCS zoom controls can be binded to keys on the keyboard, to an axis on the HOTAS (I use this option), or to one of the axes of the Headtracker (I don't like this, as I prefer to use all the 6 axes of the headtracker just for movement, not zoom).
Just to add to this.
You can change the head tracker's Z-axis to the zoom axis, but then you must really play with the curves, to not have it zoom in and out every time you lean forward/backward. It's better to use something else for zoom, because then it will stay at the zoom level too.

Like Rudel I also use the Delan Clip.
Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/7/2022 at 2:20 AM, persius said:

Hi Rudel_chw

Sorry to be troubling you again but I'm hoping to get some advice please.    You explained the process of zooming in and out but I think I'm doing something wrong.

The video tutorial on cold starts shows the user fluidly zooming in and out and moving around the cockpit and this is what I'm trying to do.  I don't know if he's using the mouse or control stick.    Here is the link if you can take a moment to look at:

At time frame 2:10 he fluidly zooms in and moves up and down.  I can't mimic that movement.   Can you suggest what I need to do?

So far I can look around the cockpit using the arrow buttons on my number bad but not as nicely as he does.  

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Thank you.

In that video he's using the keys to zoom. Probably / and * at the top of the numpad, or joystick bindings doing the same thing.

• Like 1

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.