"Dusk" Campaign mission

cquail

I seem to be having trouble getting past the "Dusk" mission. There are so many targets to kill and and my wingman seems to always get himself shot down anytime I ask him to engage anything, even after I take out the major threats I can see. I get blown out of the sky by AT-5's of all things, no warning they are coming other then if i just happen to see them. I can't seem to kill anything with rockets. It gets dark before I can fly all the way back to base to re-arm / refuel.

Whats the best strategy?

• 3 weeks later...

I have tried this mission several times and never got passed the 50% completion. I take out all targets in the target area, the tanks, the mlrs and god knows what.

Any hints. I read the AAR posted at simhq in hope it would reveal some hints how to beat it but not. It was a good read though! :)

Well if i understand that mission editor correctly the briefing for that mission is completly off. You are suppose to take out everything with wheels including stuff thats outside designated target area - and described in the briefing? I think i feel more confused now then when i am trying the mission.

I'm at work atm :P but i'm not even bothering with campaign. Just ENJOYING each of the missions loaded from the editor. I'm not cheating (i think) but I add TPs for anything visible on the map (SAMs etc).

I fly the mission and then move onto the next one. :pilotfly:

I am started with that myself today! :) I hadn't opened the mission editor before you wrote that i should look at the goal, and now i can just enjoy the flight without being frustrated! (Albeit only two mission flown so far... but its more enjoyable this way).

• 2 months later...
When I use the laser Shkval not lock on target .

This seems to be related to the dusk condition. The same happens in the Shooting Range mission. Maybe the twilight shortly after dusk is interfering with the targeting system.

You can still shoot the targets. The laser points to the gate on the Shkval so as long as you don't have any moving targets you should be able to hit them without a lock. Just keep the gate over the target until the missiles hit.

The Shkval operates on contrast to distinguish between a target and it's surrounding environment, and obviously there's less contrast as the sun recedes. The laser still operates as mentioned though, but you might have to out the system on manual if you find the Shkval incapable of obtaining a proper "lock".

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

.. I did it before, shoot without the laser locked, but it is very difficult to maintain the hover should be because of the turbulence ... I like to do the right thing, but if I dont, I skip this mission.

Another thing is the wingman not identified and not shoot at any target, sometimes reporting a position but not shoot.

.. even though more people have this problem, I thought it was just me

Ty guys .. !

Edited by Airman

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

YEAH!! Today I finally finished the mission successfully. I ordered my wingman to hold in a safe position. Then I neutralized the AA units and the BMPs first with my Vikhrs and then I destroyed all the trucks and tents with the cannon. This left only the tanks as valid targets. That's when I ordered my wingman to engage our objective and he did so by firing his Vikhrs at the remaining tanks while I also finished one or two of them with my AP rounds. Done! I didn't even have to fire a single unguided rocket.

p.s.: my laser also crapped out during the mission... I lased too often to get a lock, which sometimes worked when fire was illuminating the target sufficiently.

Yes .. I also did it, but when told the wingman to shoot two shots and he did not shot more .. I am now closer to fulfilling the mission .. I will keep trying .. ! :thumbup:

Okay .. I got to the mission, but had to return to base and fly at night, no problem, got medal .. lol

Edited by Airman

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I can't get past this mission. When I try to hover at around 3000km (which is my usual altitude) the chopper starts falling and then my ELEC lights turn on and the INVERTER light comes on and the plane's electricity turns off including the rotors. I don't understand why that's happening. Mountainous terrain? I have my de-ice on for rotors, for the engine I can't turn it on because the heli falls immediately. The laser doesn't work, so I manually have to adjust it BUT that's hard to do when your altitude is rapidly falling. Bah....as you can see this mission is SUPER frustrating.

How do i "skip" this mission?

Hi guys,

I can't get past this mission. When I try to hover at around 3000km (which is my usual altitude) the chopper starts falling and then my ELEC lights turn on and the INVERTER light comes on and the plane's electricity turns off including the rotors. I don't understand why that's happening. Mountainous terrain? I have my de-ice on for rotors, for the engine I can't turn it on because the heli falls immediately. The laser doesn't work, so I manually have to adjust it BUT that's hard to do when your altitude is rapidly falling. Bah....as you can see this mission is SUPER frustrating.

How do i "skip" this mission?

LOL, buddy theres hardly any helis that can hover in that altitude, especially fully loaded with weapons and fuel. You are pulling too much collective, the beeping noise is your rotor rpm warning and the generators go offline if they are not being turned fast enough. I suppose you mean 3000m altitude anyway. You can only hold this altitude if you stay in the transitional lift envelope (>30km/h if i'm not mistaken). Why would you want to hover that high anyway?

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

• 3 months later...

In the Dusk Mission if you arrive at about 500 meters AGL over the city on the east side of the river and about 5km directly east of the target area you will be in smooth air. From there you can engage auto hover and take your sweet time knocking out the air defenses, etc. Then, send in your wingman to clean up what's left. Doesn't work every time, but it sure makes targeting easier.

When it gets dark on the way home use the Route [R] key to lighten the work load and stay on a safe flight path through the mountains, punching in your waypoints in reverse order. You did jot down the FARP and waypoint altitudes on the way out, right? That works so much better than guessing how high the rocks are piled.

When getting close to the FARP turn on your landing light, request landing clearance and the landing pads will be illuminated for you. Try to remember that objects look closer than they really are in the night flying envirenment.

Edited by dsobbe

• 7 months later...