Any plans for a patch 1.13 or 1.2?

I feel almost silly asking this. Everyone and their mama is going nuts about Black Shark a few boards up from this one, so I don't know if anyone really cares at the moment.

However, it was stated that if anything happened, it would be after Black Shark was complete. I think we can now officially call it "complete".

Any plans or news?

• Like 1

Well its not fully complete, ED is working hard to get the cd/box version out. In addition they have to complete multi-language for Black Shark such as voices, translation of the manual...etc. So after all that is complete, I guess it would be safe to ask for any plans for a 1.13 patch.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes, it was stated long ago that the possibility of a LOFC patch would be looked at after BS, and I´d welcome one, of course, but not at any costs.

However, with Wags stating that part of the team occupied with BS DVD release and most of the others already having jumped onto the A-10C, I wouldn´t bet money on it.

There might well be a BS patch, but even if not, I expect all BS bugfixing and patching latest to be integrated in the next module's first release. That would be sustainable if they achieve a release cycle of less than 12 months. We´ve seen LO patches taking longer than that...

But who knows, ED have surprised us with some very unexpected decisions in the past, so one might even see something as seemingly unlikely as a LO patch...

Just my two € cents, no insider info behind it.

Edited by Woodstock

"For aviators like us, the sky is not the limit - it's our home!"

RedTiger, I would love to see a patch for LO too, but with BS on center stage, and the work on the A-10C and the DVD I really think a patch for LO is not in the plans at all or at least not any time in the nearby future. :(

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

It's modular in concept so my thought is it will never be complete. Going from one module to the other X number of months(year) apart. How do you fit a LO patch in if you will never be complete. Always working on BS.:mad:

You didn't mince any words there, did you rattler? :D

TBH, you and I are on the same page, but I'm trying to be more positive and understanding about it. My thought is that Black Shark really won't ever be "complete". Then the next module will be officially announced and the two will kind of run together and it still won't be "complete".

Just so everyone here understands, LOMAC is an "end of life cycle" product. I get it. Its been played and supported longer than most PC titles are. Its still UBI's product, so I don't even fully understand how ED can make ANY further changes to it! I'm pretty much calling it dead at this point, other than the fact that we're sitting on the official forum of the developer and still discussing it. I'm not a helicopter guy but I'll admit I'm finding it hard to keep interest in it light of the improvements of Black Shark, even though I'm taking it slow and not exactly playing Black Shark for hours at a time.

I'm not going to make myself a nuisance. Hell, if I were ED I wouldn't even feel like screwing with it at this point. I'd want to focus on the future. I just want to ask on occasion until a final answer is given.

Just so everyone here understands, LOMAC is an "end of life cycle" product. I get it. Its been played and supported longer than most PC titles are.

The life span of Sims is much, much longer because new Sims come out so rarely compared to regular games (as Sims are a niche market). In addition, there is so much content in a Sim that you get so much more playing time out of it. Sims and their adherents are not typical the rest of the computer games market. The average Simmer is middle aged compared to the typical spotty 14 years olds who make up the target market of most computer games.

Lockon came out in Winter 2003 and five years later I'm still into it. I've a bunch of other games that I bought at the same time or bought more recently that just gather dust on the shelf now - MoH series, CoD series, etc. You play 'em a couple of times and that's it. Fun when you get them, but not really replayable much. The constant stream of Mods from the Community helps keep a Sim alive too.

Its still UBI's product, so I don't even fully understand how ED can make ANY further changes to it! I'm pretty much calling it dead at this point, other than the fact that we're sitting on the official forum of the developer and still discussing it.

I seem to recall reading on the Forum that the deal was that whilst UBI did indeed still own the Lockon name, ED were allowed to make one "unofficial" addon (plus patches to it) themselves - hence FC. I expect there was no patch number limit on that agreement, so ED are not prohibited by any deal with UBI from bringing out 1.13 if they so choose. More likely that staffing pressure on current and future projects will be the determining factor that would impact that.

I'm sure that, despite the rave reviews that BS is getting so far (doubtless thanks to ED's attitude to get it as perfect as they can before release), there will be enough bugs eventually come up and a BS patch will be needed. Work on that, plus the next DCS modules, may curtail 1.13 despite ED's desire to do it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry Death, you lose! It was Professor Plum....

The life span of Sims is much, much longer because new Sims come out so rarely compared to regular games (as Sims are a niche market). In addition, there is so much content in a Sim that you get so much more playing time out of it. Sims and their adherents are not typical the rest of the computer games market. The average Simmer is middle aged compared to the typical spotty 14 years olds who make up the target market of most computer games.

Lockon came out in Winter 2003 and five years later I'm still into it. I've a bunch of other games that I bought at the same time or bought more recently that just gather dust on the shelf now - MoH series, CoD series, etc. You play 'em a couple of times and that's it. Fun when you get them, but not really replayable much. The constant stream of Mods from the Community helps keep a Sim alive too.

Right, but as a spotty 28 year old and a consumer of both, sims and other genres are both competing for my attention at the same time. In other words, to me longevity is longevity is longevity. :D I compare sims with any other type of game or entertainment. I've played some RPGs aimed at the mass market that have kept me playing just as long as any flight sim, but that's just about the only other genre. :) Maybe some war games too.

I seem to recall reading on the Forum that the deal was that whilst UBI did indeed still own the Lockon name, ED were allowed to make one "unofficial" addon (plus patches to it) themselves - hence FC. I expect there was no patch number limit on that agreement, so ED are not prohibited by any deal with UBI from bringing out 1.13 if they so choose. More likely that staffing pressure on current and future projects will be the determining factor that would impact that.

I'm sure that, despite the rave reviews that BS is getting so far (doubtless thanks to ED's attitude to get it as perfect as they can before release), there will be enough bugs eventually come up and a BS patch will be needed. Work on that, plus the next DCS modules, may curtail 1.13 despite ED's desire to do it.

Yes, this is what I'm guessing will happen to. I wouldn't even want to fool with LOMAC at this point if I were them. I ask since asking before would have received prompt replies of "after BS is finished". Now they just receive prompt replies of "BS isn't finished yet". :D

If only there was a way to get source code. UBI still owns it and if Ed would just say they are finished with Lockon maybe, just maybe the source code could be gotten. Dreaming I know but stranger things have happened. Can you imagine what this community could do with the source code. Only chance is for ED to step away and end Lockon but then again they use the same engine only tweaked. I agree we will probably never see a patch but after watching VFAT , seeing what VNAO, ADA and others are doing with what we got, this will be around awhile yet. It has it's little problems but still best bang for the buck for fighter aircraft. Not into BS or helo sims no matter how good they are. Jets and newer the better. FM is the big thing for us now. If we can do that we can put modern jets into this sim. Nice to have cockpits to match but FM is magic, cockpit is eyecandy not saying that it would be nice to have for sure. ED will read this and dismiss it as usual but sometime UBI must get the source code back. I rest my hopes on that. See what happens after. cheers guy's. Oh, personally I think ED shot themselves in the foot with BS. I can't see a great following for helo sims and fixed wing are a long way off.

Oh, personally I think ED shot themselves in the foot with BS. I can't see a great following for helo sims and fixed wing are a long way off.

I think the choice of the Black Shark has to do with couple of factors:

1. The info available to model an aircraft in such high fidelity. This information doesn't exactly fall into one's lap. You have to dig, research, and makes some friends. You may not have a wide variety of subjects to do a study sim on. ED had help from Kamov, so that clearly had something to do with it. Had it been Mikoyan or someone else, the choice may have been different!

2. Unless we're stuck with the stuff like the Hog and Frog for all eternity, fixed wing aircraft will inevitably require simulation of much more sophisticated systems, namely radar. Wags stated in his interview with SimHQ that the focus is currently on air to ground operations. Radar modeling and WAFM will be developed going forward in order to simulate fighter jets.

Really, this has been discussed before. Their reasons have been stated. If you think making a Ka-50 study sim is "shooting yourself in the foot", I've got news for you; making a half-way serious sim period might as well be shooting yourself in the foot these days. I don't exactly think the choice of a helicopter study sim over an F-16 study sim is going to cost them tens or hundreds of millions dollars in lost sales. The genre is just not that popular.

I have no inside news on whether or not a 1.13 patch will turn up, or if it does, when that will be, other that that ED said if it did happen, it would be after after BS - but I can echo SKF & tell you that - honestly, ED's work on BS is not finished yet...

Cheers.

I have no inside news on whether or not a 1.13 patch will turn up, or if it does, when that will be, other that that ED said if it did happen, it would be after after BS - but I can echo SKF & tell you that - honestly, ED's work on BS is not finished yet...

Tell them that I appreciate their lack of "get it out the door as quickly as possible at all costs" attitude. :D

I think the choice of the Black Shark has to do with couple of factors:

1. The info available to model an aircraft in such high fidelity. This information doesn't exactly fall into one's lap. You have to dig, research, and makes some friends. You may not have a wide variety of subjects to do a study sim on. ED had help from Kamov, so that clearly had something to do with it. Had it been Mikoyan or someone else, the choice may have been different!

2. Unless we're stuck with the stuff like the Hog and Frog for all eternity, fixed wing aircraft will inevitably require simulation of much more sophisticated systems, namely radar. Wags stated in his interview with SimHQ that the focus is currently on air to ground operations. Radar modeling and WAFM will be developed going forward in order to simulate fighter jets.

Really, this has been discussed before. Their reasons have been stated. If you think making a Ka-50 study sim is "shooting yourself in the foot", I've got news for you; making a half-way serious sim period might as well be shooting yourself in the foot these days. I don't exactly think the choice of a helicopter study sim over an F-16 study sim is going to cost them tens or hundreds of millions dollars in lost sales. The genre is just not that popular.

Yes I do agree somewhat with your statement. I just was thinking that the flight sim community is a small genre and the helo is smaller again, IMHO. I could be all wet on this one. Yes to do a sim with such detail is certainly a gift , for the reasons you stated. Where ED is such a small company and I believe the genre for helo sims is small, that they may not receive the revinue they are thinking they will get. Like I say I could be way off base on this one but helo sims never seemed to last as long as good jet sims. I hope I am wrong because they (ED) are willing to stick with this small nitch in simulation. I do wish them all the best as they are hanging in there with us. Yes work on radar etc. will proceed but only for BS. I don't think that is transferable to LOFC. Again could be all wrong. cheers. Oh, excellent thread going here, good discussions!!!

Oh, personally I think ED shot themselves in the foot with BS. I can't see a great following for helo sims and fixed wing are a long way off.

Many people said that. And many of those people, are flying BS, having a hell of a time, and loving it.

:thumbup:

• Like 1

Personaly I don't see a need for any patch about LO and I don't hold my breath that ED will redirect any resources from DCS to LO. I'm all hooked up with BS and LO is down to aerobatics for me and my squad. IMO LO is case closed. Move on.

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

Personaly I don't see a need for any patch about LO and I don't hold my breath that ED will redirect any resources from DCS to LO. I'm all hooked up with BS and LO is down to aerobatics for me and my squad. IMO LO is case closed. Move on.

I agree mostly, but I want to hear it from the horse's mouth before I declare it dead and thrown the white sheet over it.

IMO I don't agree. There are just some people who are not going to be drawn to DCS for a while because there is no A2A for a bit.

Patching LO provides longevity for these people, which would make them more inclined to purchase DCS when fighters do come.

Then again, if there was a patch in the works we would have heard about it from beta testers and such, not details but just that it existed. Since we haven't, even if they started now I think it would take a while to get it out. By then the A10C will be out.

I would prefer they just put the effort in to bringing a fighter to DCS quicker.

Edited by =Prophet=
  • Like 1

Who said it's dead? HL still holds a lot of people flying it. Besides, did you see anything from VFAT this weekend? No other sim offers such awesome airshow experience. As I said, I'm quiet interested in flying aerobatics in LO and I don't need ED to change anything for me there. I'll take part in VFAT 2009 with LO no matter how.

• Like 1

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

IMO I don't agree. There are just some people who are not going to be drawn to DCS for a while because there is no A2A for a bit.

Patching LO provides longevity for these people, which would make them more inclined to purchase DCS when fighters do come.

Then again, if there was a patch in the works we would have heard about it from beta testers and such, not details but just that it existed. Since we haven't, even if they started now I think it would take a while to get it out. By then the A10C will be out.

I would prefer they just put the effort in to bringing a fighter to DCS quicker.

As far as the A2A in LO is concerned I'm pretty much happy with what my squadmate Yoda came up with. His LRM mode works quiet good in our and 104th servers and LOCERF as well.

=RvE=

No one said it was dead.

Aerobatics has nothing really to do with the problems of the sim, and few enjoy formation flying. Watching is different.

Sure the LRM mod has helped things, but they are work arounds because the developer hasnt. IMO, that should be embarassing. The community should be creating mods and skins, not fixing things.

Many people said that. And many of those people, are flying BS, having a hell of a time, and loving it.

:thumbup:

Yes , you may be right but lets see how long that lasts without fighters. Helo sims have come and gone. This is new and well represents the KA-50. It's a new toy lets let history show us how long it will last. I am glad people are having fun with it. I do not knock ED for BS. I do for backing away from a promise. LOFC as a fighter sim will still be around just as much as aerobatics. Loved VFAT. No other sim can do that and that alone will keep it alive and well.cheers , Merry Christmas and enjoy BS.