HARMs not reverting to INS guidance after RADAR is turned off

FigPucker

In the attached track file, I launch two HARMs, targeted via the HTS, at a Tor (SA-15) that is being controlled directly by my friend. When the missiles entered the terminal portion of their attack (7-10 seconds before impact), he would turn off his RADAR.

To be clear, only one Tor turned on then off.

We performed this mission to test whether HARMs fired from the F-16 in HAD will intertially guide onto an emitter if it turns silent. Instead of flying via INS to the last known target position, as real HARMs do, we found that they simply fly off ballistically.
This is a well known and critical capability for the HARM - it's bizarre that it has been omitted and, unfortunate that it will likely go unresolved for a long time.

Bignewy or Nineline, please see what you can do about this.

Track file attached for your convenience:

server-20220404-222714.trk server-20220404-222253.trk

Edited by FigPucker
  • Like 7

• ED Team

Hi,

the HARM hit in the general area after the emission is turned off because the INS is not as accurate and has a higher CEP. I believe this is correct as it is. 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

1 hour ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi,

the HARM hit in the general area after the emission is turned off because the INS is not as accurate and has a higher CEP. I believe this is correct as it is. 

If you press F6 and follow the HARM you'll notice once the emitter shuts down it flies at 1G. This indicates the HARM is not flying to a position, rather it is flying ballistically . There is no guidance being performed whatsoever upon the emitter shutting down.

This is not correct behavior. As you mentioned the INS should still guide the missile towards the last known position of the emitter. 

• Like 12

Intel i5-8600k | EVGA RTX 3070 | Windows 10 | 32GB RAM @3600 MHz | 500 GB Samsung 850 SSD

3 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi,

This cannot be the case. I have performed another two tests that allow you more time to see that the missile goes ballistic after the RADAR goes silent.
In this graph you can see that, when the RADAR is silenced, G-force drops precipitously to 1G and that turn rate flat-lines to almost 0 degrees/second, demonstrating that the HARM is ballistic and in unguided flight.

RADAR_off_terminal_atk_EDIT.png

Watching the tacview file attached, you can see that both missiles are losing any guidance commands and are going ballistic within seconds of RADAR silence.
This is especially evident when you see that the missiles land up to 5nm away from the target! 

For the second test, we had the RADAR blink on and off. In this test the missile once again resumed 1G (ballistic) flight upon RADAR silence. We then turned the RADAR back on, resulting in the HARM reacquiring and pulling 18G!

blinkingARMtest_EDIT.png

This results in a DCS where IADS scripts and player-controlled SAMs render HARMs impotent.

Tacview-RADAR-Blinking.zip.acmi Tacview-RADAR_off_terminal_atk.zip.acmi server-20220404-222714.trk server-20220404-222253.trk

• Like 11

• ED Team

I have just had an answer from the team it is working as intended, the INS is a very simple one, using dead reckoning and the CEP for accuracy is larger. 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

An INS that uses dead reckoning would use dead reckoning to navigate to the last known target position, not one 5nm away. As you can see on the graphs, the missile's guidance simply diminishes to nothing after the RADAR is lost, and the missile flies off ballistically. Yuu can see this by the fact that missile goes to 1G and nil turn rate.

With a simple INS, the missile would not go ballistic and would have a dynamic G-load and turn rate.

Please have your weapons devs review the updated track files that better demonstrate this problem.

• Like 15

Thanks Al.

The HARM does indeed use an INS - though the exact mechanism and CEP of said inertial guidance remains classified.

ED Team -
I have demonstrated the INS in action by firing a HARM in EOM mode.

In EOM mode, the HARM uses inertial guidance to fly towards the designated steerpoint and search for the specified emitter. If the emitter is silent, as it was in this test, it will use inertial guidance to fly to the designated steerpoint. In this case the steerpoint was placed on the same location as the silent Tor. You can see that both HARMS landed within a few hundred meters of the target after having flown ~25nm, a CEP of ~200 metres and not 5-16nm!

I have attached a graph of this EOM shot. Unlike the shots where the HARM loses guidance, you can observe that the missile is being maneuvered by its inertial guidance system.
EOM_shot_ins.png

To be clear, the bug that needs to be addressed is that the missile, when fired upon a target that goes silent midflight, fails to switch to inertial guidance.

It is perplexing that this bug report has required such exhaustive evidence and explanation, when the physics and missile behaviour obviously demonstrate that this is not working properly. I would appreciate if Wags could take a look at this and have it addressed.

server-20220405-144905.trk Tacview-20220405-145014-DCS-base attack_one sam.zip.acmi

Edited by FigPucker
Attached track and tacview
  • Like 22

• BIGNEWY locked this topic
  • NineLine unlocked this topic
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Shame I missed the 1 year anniversary of this bug report. Hopefully I'll make it for the 2 year anniversary. See y'all on April 4th next year!

But seriously come on ED. Whoever marked this as 'Correct as is' needs to be made redundant. 

Edited by al531246
  • Like 8

Intel i5-8600k | EVGA RTX 3070 | Windows 10 | 32GB RAM @3600 MHz | 500 GB Samsung 850 SSD

vor 24 Minuten schrieb al531246:

Shame I missed the 1 year anniversary of this bug report. Hopefully I'll make it for the 2 year anniversary. See y'all on April 4th next year!

But seriously come on ED. Whoever marked this as 'Correct as is' needs to be made redundant. 

Would it be possible to create a new short track that shows the behavior?  🙂

• 2 months later...
Am 29.6.2023 um 18:04 schrieb al531246:

Again,new track pls?

Edited by Hobel

11 hours ago, Hobel said:

so in your link it's about the AGM-88 going active too early, in the topic here it's about INS`?

I believe the problem in this thread is an expression of the bug that causes the HARMs to go active before they are in their terminal phase.
If the HARM does no go active before the terminal dive, you won't get HARMs that miss by the width of the map if the radar turns back off again.

Edited by VKing

So as far as the INS aspect is concerned, I would say that is there.

You can see in the video how I turn off the radar of the Sa-15 immediately after the AGM-88 goes active and turns off, but the AGM-88 continues to turn to the HDG from which the signal came and flies towards it , even though the radar is off.

Edited by Hobel
  • Like 1