is there a point to the RHG LRFC trigger 1st Detent?

imacken

Does the 1st detent do anything?  AFAICS, pressing and releasing the 2nd detent does the same thing. No?  It would be useful to save a bind if it doesn't add anything.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I think first detention fires a short burst to get a momentary range. Second detent is continuous fire, so gives constant ranging and targeting. IRL there’s probably a good reason for burst mode, but not sure how useful it is in DCS, so can probably ignore it with no penalties. 

Edited by frostycab
Me and my typos again!
  • Like 4

Yep, thanks guys, that's what I thought.  A quick press and release of the 2nd detent seems to do the same thing, so I'll just release the bind to the 1st.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

On another note, what is the difference between 1st and 2nd weapon trigger?  Weapons seem to fire on the 1st for me. Can't remember using 2nd at all.  Having said that, I'm just learning weapons!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, imacken said:

On another note, what is the difference between 1st and 2nd weapon trigger?  Weapons seem to fire on the 1st for me. Can't remember using 2nd at all.  Having said that, I'm just learning weapons!

I’m jot sure there is a difference in DCS (someone please correct me if I’m wrong).  I think you’re good just to map the second detent and ignore the first (like the laser).  Or vice versa if I have that backwards, lol.

Edited by agamemnon_b5
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1 hour ago, imacken said:

AFAIK second detent fires even if weapon is not within parameters (gun az/el limit, or rocket/hellfire bal limit)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First lasing detent will become handy, when the hover stabilisation mode will be implemented.

Edited by Amarok_73

Natural Born Kamikaze

-------------------------

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, AMD Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4, AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT, 32 GB RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX, PSU Modecom Volcano 750W, Logitech G940 HOTAS, Turtle Beach VelocityOne Rudder.

1 hour ago, imacken said:

All of the weapons have a set of both ‘performance’ inhibits and ‘safety’ inhibits. These are seen as messages in the ‘weapon inhibit’ field on the HAD. I can’t off the top of my head, separate and give examples right now, but…. The first trigger detent is the normal fire mode, with the second detent able to override the ‘performance’ inhibit, when appropriate. The safety inhibit can never be overridden. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Does the CPG need a trigger other than those on the TEDAC then? I guess not? 

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

5 hours ago, markturner1960 said:

Does the CPG need a trigger other than those on the TEDAC then? I guess not? 

IRL if the CPG is doing the flying then yes. Otherwise he's need to move his right hand off the collective to the TEDAC LHG to use the weapon trigger there. In DCS though you can get away with it.

Edited by frostycab

Ah yes....although I imagine that situation would not be common, but in the military, redundancy is important. In that case, i will keep my bindings just to the TEDAC....Cheers

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like the weapon trigger 1st and 2nd detents are needed, but the 1st LRFC trigger is not.

46 minutes ago, imacken said:

Looks like the weapon trigger 1st and 2nd detents are needed, but the 1st LRFC trigger is not.

As Wags mentioned in his Controls Setup Tutorial there should be no real need to bind the first detent of the RHG LRFD Trigger.

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC
[Maps] PG, NTTR, Normandy, Sinai, Syria, TC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro
[Checklists] A-10C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H

LRFD 1/2 does a triple shot similar to an Abrams. There might be a certain logic where it compares the ranges from the three pulses and takes an average, rejects some, warns about backscatter, etc. that isn't present at the other trigger position.

LRFD 2/2 does continuous ranging/designation. I suspect there is some value being lost compared to the canned triple shot logically although obviously it's critical to lase continuously when designating for weapons or when constant range measuring is required. One aspect to consider is that a lot of vehicles have laser warning equipment and lasing carelessly has tactical implications. I have yet to find a practical reason why in DCS you can't be just fine with second detent only.

Weapons 1/2 does fire by consent. If I only had one weapon trigger I would bind it to this and just live without override capability. I'd rather have it prevent bad launches than allow good ones.

Weapons 2/2 overrides consent to fire regardless.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I guess in real life, only sending a short laser burst, might be good if the enemy has laser warning systems.

I have set both the 1st and the 2nd detend for the laser.

Ctrl + Button 4 on my stick for 1st detend

Button 4 only for the 2nd detend.

This way by simply pressing Button 4 I can Lase and guide Hellfire's.

I then also have the TEDAC "STORE" button assigned to Ctrl + a differen button.

Thus holding down Ctr and the press Button 4 I get the range, then immediatly press the TEDAC "STORE" sets a T0x target point where I ranged with the Laser.

This works great for me, preparing LO and HI LOAL Hellfire shots.

• Like 1

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

• 7 months later...

From the manual:

LRFD Trigger. Activates the laser rangefinder. • First detent. LRFD determines target range. • Second detent. LRFD determines target range and designates target for laser guidance.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X; ASUS ROG Strix X570-F, Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (2x 32GB) 3600MHz; Seagate FireCuda 510 500GB M.2-2280 (OS); Samsung 860 EVO 2TB M.2-2280 (DCS); MSI GeForce RTX 3090 SUPRIM X 24GB OC GPU. TM Warthog Hotas; T.Flight Pedals; DelanClip/Trackhat.

The first detent is a ranging pulse only. It’s useful for stationary targets or if the helicopter is stationary. It does not engage the TSE.

The second detent designates targets and engages the TSE.

for the weapons trigger (since it was also brought up), the first detent allows you to fire if there are no inhibits. The second detent allows you to fire if there are performance inhibits. Safety inhibits can never be overridden.

• Thanks 1