Kneeboard help

Depending on you module there's ones already available in the user files and some are exceptional quality,, but if you are re inventing the wheel use them as templates, if you are looking to make set Kneeboard for a certain module, Kneeboard builder is your best bet, You have the default kneeboard pages such as airfield diagrams, and you can add a profile with specific pages for the module you are using which are  activated in the system try while in game.

I think you can set the whole manual as kneeboard pages too.

The other benefit with kneeboard builder is that in you can set the location, size and colour of certain elements( map markings) of the kneeboard page again for a certain module depending on your overall screen resolution say if you using multi monitors etc. This may be worth while in VR too.

For some reason I'm having issues with KB with the apache, so if anyone has had any joy in this regard then please let me know.

https://dcskneeboardbuilder.com/

Hope this helps

Hey, thank you for the response. Would this allow me to create a kneeboard to use in the campaigns and missions that come with DCS?  

Basically what I want to do is have a kneeboard with cold start checklist to use all the time, until I know the process well enough. I am using VR so don’t want to have to keep taking off my VR headset to reviews steps.

Edited by bpatrick72

Yes, essentially you have default (airfield maps etc) and custom kneeboards. You create a custom one then import the images either downloaded or created, and build the kneeboard. To the side of the window is a .miz button, where you link that custom kneeboard to a mission. So for example you create an F18 mission with multiple targets called Operation Teabag. You create a custom kneeboard group with he images with like an intel packet images called Teabag, and add the group the builder and you create custom board build it then link it to where ever you save your missions, ie Users/Saved Games/Teabag.miz

Once the mission is done you can remove that group from the kneeboard.

Once you're happy you open the builder prior to launching the came and a icon appears in your system tray, go to that ->  profiles -> f18 

A campaign being a series of missions you do the same process go to the where the campaign is saved ie DCS/Mods/Aircraft/Campaign/ and select all the missions in that folder. and it links them. 

The main thing is you then go into the Options -> kneeboard profile -> modify you can then create a profile for all aircraft or specific ones, in this you set the location and size of the kneeboard. so then you can set it to suit your VR i don't use VR, so don't know how it works. but its good for different airframes depending on cockpit ie you may not want he kneeboard in the bottom right of the huey as it will obscure the chin bubble.

As far as im aware you cannot create multiple profiles linked to knee boards so cant do a separate day night board

Obviously then you map a joystick command in DCS setting to your hotas setup for kneeboard on/off and or toggle and prev/next page, so you can go though without taking the headset off.

Again for what ever airframe your flying just get what other people have done, there are some real bangers like the ones below for the F18 and A10, and they come in night versions so they don't burn you retinas out, again you can have F18 day or night profile and switch between the two depending on the mission or link them to the day night missions as described above.

Why waste time reinventing some thing  that someone has done really really well, when that time can be spent learning the module and putting warheads on foreheads.

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/266375-fa-18c-kneeboard-suite-by-dimon/

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/272492-a-10c-and-a-10c-ii-kneeboard-suite-by-dimon/

If you check the Kneeboard Builder Website there a few tutorial vids which may assist better than my loose understanding of kneeboards and the English written word.

Hope this helps

Edited by EddieMuntz
  • Like 2