Rudder Pedals Comparision: MFG Crosswind vs Virpil Ace Collection Pedals.

This is my first impressions of 2 very high quality set of rudder pedals, the MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite with ME109 footrests, and the Virpil Ace Collection rudder pedals. 

Virpil first impression: "Holy cow these things are big!" 

MFG First Impression: "HOW MUCH DAMN TAPE DID THEY USE!" 

As some of you know, the saga of trying to find the perfect rudder pedals for my use, has been a thing... I have a condition called "drop foot" on my left leg, a result of gunshot wound caused compartment syndrome in 2005 while in the United States Army. I can't seem to adapt to flying with a twist grip, and so, I struggle with finding with good rudder pedals. My left ankle is partly fuzed, and I can't pull my toes up, I also have limited sensation, and some hyper sensation in my left leg. This means that I don't always know exactly where my left foot is, only the general area. 

Alright, so that's the preamble, let's get too it. We'll start with dealing with each company as a first time costumer. Since I ordered from Virpil first, we'll start there. 

Virpil is always back ordered. You won't get anything from virpil in under 3 weeks unless the Gods are with you. Considering my foot problem, I wanted rudder pedals with as much adjustment as possible. I might have my left pedal in a very different position to my right, because of my stupid leg. Adjustments are important to me. Thus, i was more than a little annoyed that I couldn't buy just the footrests from virpil. I could buy rudder pedals one way, the other way, or more expensive set with 2 sets of footrests. But the foot rests themselves are not sold separately. Why? 

Next, it was Virpil sending my rudder pedals with Fedex, who promptly lost them for a week. (*sigh...) oh, and I didn't know that with some...some virpil stuff you can plug one device into another virpil device, and daisy chain them together. Guess which device you can't daisy chain? Pedals. That's fine, I have a USP thingy... but Virpil didn't ask if I wanted the special cable to do that when my wife ordered a full set of stuff from them for my birthday. They didn't simply throw the 7$ cable in with the 1500$ + order. Which I'm going to be salty about for awhile. Because if I want that cable, I've got to pay something like 50$ shipping from Virpil. Sure, I can probably find something on amazon, but it really bugs me. 

MFG ordering.: The first time I looked at the MFG website I muttered "WTF" and went back to the Virpil site. Not lying. However, I looked closer. It's actually pretty simple, but I was worried about accidently ordering parts that weren't compatible or something. Okay, so I'm not a huge fan of the MFG website, but it's really fine, it just pushed me away for a bit. The more research I did on rudder pedals, the more the name "MFG" came up when people talk about quality. Oh, and they shipped DHL, so I got the MFG pedals 4 days before they promised them, as opposed to 7 days late when Virpil shipped Fedex. (Pay for DHL whenever you order international, this isn't the first Fedex screw up I've dealt with.) 

The packaging of the MFG pedals was secure bordering on OCD. You can open something from virpil without a knife. You can't do anything about the shipment from MFG without a knife, 4 buckets of profanity, a snowstorm of Styrofoam, and 19 separate cuts to open each idem in the shipment, including the hex wrench. I do not joke when I say that they bubble wrapped and used 3 separate kinds of tape just on that hex wrench. OCD bordering on murder inducing is how I'd describe the shipping packaging from MFG. I'm willing to bet you could drop a set of packaged for shipping MFG crosswinds into an EOD bomb disposal tank with a grenade, and you'd still have working rudder pedals at the end of it. (I've used grenades, I'm kidding.)  

The virpil packing was secure, but after MFG it seems almost careless. (it wasn't, MFG just way over secures the packaging.) Virpil packages are a box inside a box, secured with "VIRPIL" logo tape. Inside the smaller box is a load of bubble wrap a couple pieces of tape which are easy to pull off without using a hydraulic spreader, and there are your new virpil pedals. Let me put it this way, I had the ace collection pedals out and assembled in about half the time it took me to remove the shipping and packing material from the MFG crosswinds. 

Assembly: Guess which company provided easy assembly instructions in the shipping box? If you guessed "NEITHER" you'd be right. Sure, I can go to either website and look, but I can't do that easily while taking pictures with my phone and operating a chainsaw to open the packaging. No instructions on either. 

Assembly difficultly: Both pedals resulted in at least one "WTF" moment while trying to get them together. Both times it was a result of 2 different hex bolts being close in size, but not perfect, which caused a momentary delay. That being said, once the pieces were all laid out, either pedal were assembled at least remotely correctly within 10 minutes without moving to the computer to look up assembly instructions. There was a little annoyance on the MFG pedals. First, there is one spring, on the left side of the base of the V# crosswind pedals. This spring connects to a threaded rod and the centering cam on the front. For your own sanity, put that together in this order. 

1) Remove nut from threaded rod. 

2) slide threaded rod through hold in base from the front towards the back. 

3) screw nut back on rod from the back. 

4) attach spring to the rod FIRST, then hook it to the centering cam. 

5) adjust spring tension by turning nut on rod until desired tension is achieved. 

Comfort of ACE collection pedals VS. MFG Crosswind v3 ME109. 

First let me say that there is Zero doubt in my mind that both of these pedals are extremely high quality. 

Both use the same connection cable. 

Both are very smooth and comfortable to rest my feet on. 

Both are wide and have good travel distance. 

Both have adjustable spring tension and cams. 

In a size comparison, there are differences. 

The ace collection pedals are taller, like much taller. 

The angle of the footrest is adjustable on the MFG crosswind, and the factory setting it much lower of an angle. This might be a good thing, might not be for my leg, I don't know yet. 

The travel distance on the brake axis of the MFG crosswind seems about 10% less than the Ace collection pedals, but that it using the factory settings, and they are adjustable. The ace collection pedals are how they are, as far as I know. The Crosswind pedals are also a little wider than the Ace collection pedals, like 2-3 cm (1-1.5 inches) if I had to guess. 

I have an old rug under my desk to dampen vibrations and sound which I tend to hear through my leg. On that rug, once I set the Ace collection pedals down, they do not move. If I want to move them, I'm climbing under my sim pit and picking them up to move them. (the little rubber feet are very good at their job). On the MFG Crosswind pedals, they will slide a bit on the rug, but they don't move much, and no where near as much as my old Thrustmaster T16000 pedals. However on hardwood floors, the Ace pedals slide easier than the MFG crosswinds. (I tested both sets in the dining room when I opened them.) 

If you are mounting your pedals on a crossbar or something in your simpit, either can be mounted, but beware of the height on the Ace collection pedals and beware of the width of the Crosswind pedals if you are space limited. Both can be mounted, but I don't currently, so that's on you. 

I will be doing more in-depth testing on both of these pedals. However, these are my first impressions. Feel free to ask me any questions, I'll do my best to answer them. 

EDIT: here are links to both companies. I also post links to every manufacturer of quality flight sim gear I can find on my squadron page. "Arrorian Imperial Navy" (AIN) 

VIRPIL Controls - Rudder Pedals - Shop (virpil-controls.eu)

MFG Crosswind V3 graphite (mfg-sim.com)

Here is a link to the AIN discord if you have any questions. We'll be glad to help you in any way that we can. 

https://discord.gg/JuBydbsfDn

20220404_144009[1].jpg

20220404_141059[1].jpg

Edited by Dscross
added links to both MFG and Virpil
  • Like 3

Keep up the review as I am also considering one of these pedals to replace my old CH pedals.

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

1 hour ago, sobe said:

Keep up the review as I am also considering one of these pedals to replace my old CH pedals.

I replaced my (literally) 25 year old CH pedals with Crosswinds a couple of weeks ago.  I'm sure you're going to be very pleased with either option 🙂.  Soooo much smoother/nicer feel.

I replaced my (literally) 25 year old CH pedals with Crosswinds a couple of weeks ago.  I'm sure you're going to be very pleased with either option .  Soooo much smoother/nicer feel.
25 year of service!
That is impressive.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

14 hours ago, Eaglewings said:

25 year of service!
That is impressive.

The CH stuff definitely isn't 1st class from a usage perspective, but sure can't complain about longevity with it.  Broke a wire one of the toe brakes a month ago and rejoined it, so it's working fine again, but that finally allowed me to justify moving on to something nicer 🙂.

The CH stuff definitely isn't 1st class from a usage perspective, but sure can't complain about longevity with it.  Broke a wire one of the toe brakes a month ago and rejoined it, so it's working fine again, but that finally allowed me to justify moving on to something nicer .
Have read some reviews about CH products and they get good ratings especially in the area of longetivity. That company had some good product but stoppped being innovative.
I have been doing flightsim without a rudder pedals which I rarely use except during taxing. The front paddles on my T. 16000M throttle have been doing the job but it is quite not precise and too sensitive for me.
I had to convince myself to get a simple rudder pedal, the CH rudder pedal was one of those I checked. Eventually got the thrustmaster TFRP rudder pedal to introduce me to proper rudder control( feet control) and the Ah-64D just made the move more pressing.
I hope the TFRP performs well and learn to use the feet for rudder(I have been told it takes teaching the legs and the brain to use the feet for rudder control)

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

• 7 months later...