Multi player VR is an awful experience

MPK

This is the F/A-18 free flight Caucuses mission:

JygWEbL.png

This is multiplayer on a full 4YA server on the ground at Ramat David on the Syria map, waiting to take off:

so5emMz.png

The situation got slightly better when airborne but not by much. The average frame rate was enough to maintain 45 fps with motion smoothing but the stuttering was nausea inducing.

Settings that look like ass to try and get a stutter free experience in multi player:

I6ZktHD.png

I think I have spent more time tweaking settings than playing the game over the last 2 years since I got my headset (Valve index). This is the only game I have that doesn't run well. I am feeling pretty frustrated with the lack of progress improving performance in this game. It might be time to take a break for a while until Vulkan / multicore / heat death of the universe happens.

• Like 1

Forest visibility should match with vis range, you should be able to dial that down to 50% or so. and should probably do the same with detail factors.  Have you tried cranking up preload radius?  Beyond that,  welcome to DCS.  

What are your specs?  

Memory counts, 32gb makes a big difference in MP.  If you have Intel CPU, might need to overclock (if not upgrade)

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Well he's got 64gb ram and 12gb vram so guessing 3080ti.

You can push you DCS settings almost to maximum, you will get the same fps in multiplayer because you CPU is dragging it all down.

What are your clock speeds and how fast is your ram running?

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

I can confirm that frame rates tank in multiplay.  I don't even do it since it's unplayable...on a high end system.  Only ED can fix it, none of us can. 

Edited by DerekSpeare
  • Like 1

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

10 hours ago, MPK said:

This is the F/A-18 free flight Caucuses mission:

JygWEbL.png

This is multiplayer on a full 4YA server on the ground at Ramat David on the Syria map, waiting to take off:

so5emMz.png

The situation got slightly better when airborne but not by much. The average frame rate was enough to maintain 45 fps with motion smoothing but the stuttering was nausea inducing.

Settings that look like ass to try and get a stutter free experience in multi player:

I6ZktHD.png

I think I have spent more time tweaking settings than playing the game over the last 2 years since I got my headset (Valve index). This is the only game I have that doesn't run well. I am feeling pretty frustrated with the lack of progress improving performance in this game. It might be time to take a break for a while until Vulkan / multicore / heat death of the universe happens.

well a 200% rez in SteamVR for MP is too much you may have to dial that back some MPK.. you can not have your cake and eat it too. not understanding this logic.. Have you read about OpenXR perhaps that could be an option for you.. it replaces SteamVR.. but you still will not be able to run at 200%..

Edited by The_Nephilim
  • Like 2

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

The problem is not GPU with a 3080ti, not gfx sliders, it's only CPU.

We all have exactly the same problem on MP server or liberation campaign : CPU goes to 40-50 ms in VR, depending on where you are looking at.

Only ED can fix that 😞

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dureiken said:

The problem is not GPU with a 3080ti, not gfx sliders, it's only CPU.

We all have exactly the same problem on MP server or liberation campaign : CPU goes to 40-50 ms in VR, depending on where you are looking at.

Only ED can fix that 😞

well i do not seem to have an issue with most mp servers. i understand ed needs to fix some things but like i said it works for me and i am only on a 1070gtx..

Edited by The_Nephilim

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

2 hours ago, The_Nephilim said:

well i do not seem to have an issue with most mp servers. i understand ed needs to fix some things but like i said it works for me and i am only on a 1070gtx..

No matter if you have 3090 or 1070 if its cpu bounded.

When you have 15ms of gpu time and 40 of cpu time, graphic card is not the bottleneck

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dureiken said:

No matter if you have 3090 or 1070 if its cpu bounded.

When you have 15ms of gpu time and 40 of cpu time, graphic card is not the bottleneck

Tell me what MP server you experience this on I would like to see it for myself as I have chosen many MP servers and don't experience much problem.. I do understand CPU GPU bound so I have yet to see my CPU goto 40..

I still say the guy who was running 200% rez in SteamVR that needs to be turned down.

Edited by The_Nephilim
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, The_Nephilim said:

Tell me what MP server you experience this on I would like to see it for myself as I have chosen many MP servers and don't experience much problem.. I do understand CPU GPU bound so I have yet to see my CPU goto 40..

I still say the guy who was running 200% rez in SteamVR that needs to be turned down.

I don't play so much on MP servers, mainly on DCS liberation campaign. when you are near frontline, CPU is dead

I would increase some graphics settings until you get closer to 80 to 90 % GPU utilization use higher textures and  make sure DCS VR settings pixel density is set to 1. This will likley have little impact on your CPU issue but there is a slight chance it could unload it a bit. on the Plus side you'll get some VR clarity improvements.

-Gun 

Steam Res at 200% wow! 
1.0 x 100 x 100 or 80 SCR

Have you tried this combo ? 

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

I have also never seen my cpu go to 40-50ish ever. Maybe check your Steam dx setting to make sure it’s not on dx11.  Just a thought I believe I have mine disabled but it’s been along time since I have been to that section in Steam.

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

Well DCS runs well on your first example, so your last paragraph is somehow biased, we could agree that under certain conditions, DCS VR performance, is far from perfect.
I´m certain you ran the test previously, but what are your fps when single player, multiple aircraft and ground units, Syria map?

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle