Dedicated Server – Where to begin to learn

All,

I am brand new to trying to run a dedicated DCS server, and probably have 10,000 questions.

Before the questions, a little background.

I know nothing about servers or running a server.  I know a little (very little) Lua and have done some basic (and I mean basic) scripts to include in a few missions. 

The server is up and running.  Currently it basically just runs one mission, until I manually restart it.  I have glanced at slmod and have seen scripts to determine how long the server has been running and restart it (I think)?

So,

1)      Where do I start?  Is there a “DCS Dedicated Server for Dummies”

2)      Which of the pinned threads should I read or skim?

3)      Does SLmod work with a DCS Dedicated server? - Yes

4)      Does “loop” loop though the mission in the list once one is “done”? Yes this is how it works.  Works down the list from top to bottom

5)      Is it best to set triggers in the mission to end the mission after a certain amount of time, or have a script to do this?

6)      And , HELP!

Thanks in advance for the help.

Edited by AKA_Clutter
Update

----------------

AKA_Clutter

Win 10 Pro, Intel i7 8700k @4.6 GHz, EVGA RTX 3080  FTW, Ultra 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Acer 27" flat screen, Oculus Rift S, HP Reverb G2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Rudder Pedals HOTAS, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5 Pro w/Vector Expansion, PointCTRL.

• 1 month later...
On 4/4/2022 at 4:06 PM, AKA_Clutter said:

All,

I am brand new to trying to run a dedicated DCS server, and probably have 10,000 questions.

Before the questions, a little background.

I know nothing about servers or running a server.  I know a little (very little) Lua and have done some basic (and I mean basic) scripts to include in a few missions. 

The server is up and running.  Currently it basically just runs one mission, until I manually restart it.  I have glanced at slmod and have seen scripts to determine how long the server has been running and restart it (I think)?

So,

1)      Where do I start?  Is there a “DCS Dedicated Server for Dummies”

2)      Which of the pinned threads should I read or skim?

3)      Does SLmod work with a DCS Dedicated server? - Yes

4)      Does “loop” loop though the mission in the list once one is “done”? Yes this is how it works.  Works down the list from top to bottom

5)      Is it best to set triggers in the mission to end the mission after a certain amount of time, or have a script to do this?

6)      And , HELP!

Thanks in advance for the help.

I would start with reading all the pinned topics there is to offer on this forums section. 

1, I am not sure if there is anything for a setup. Maybe that is something I could work on. 

2, As above

3, yes

4, yes, you got that right

5, you can use some tools that the community has created, there is a fantastic developer that has been working on a server admin tool. This would benefit you greatly. I would join his discord and read the info there. Special K's Discord

6, what do you mean by this?

Good luck

❤️