Huey cyclic and Hall effect sensor mounting.

Studsmcgee

So I'm working on building out huey controls for my cockpit. At present I have the buttons working on the cyclic and the collective. Up next is making the axes work. 

I have a Leo Bodnar board and some hall sensors and magnets. I've done a little research and I believe I want this set up for the magnets and sensors:

https://imgur.com/8xpEhZ6

The issue is I don't know how to mount that set up on the cyclic gimbal. Here is an image of that:

https://imgur.com/7Uojtyd

If anyone has any ideas on how to attach everything I'd really appreciate it. 

Also what is the proper way to wire up the hall sensors? I was going to solder wires to them but the leads seem pretty fragile and I'm afraid the heat might damage the sensor. What do you guys do?

Thanks!

Edited by Studsmcgee

Hey sir...
did you check my Huey SimPit build here on the forums? Worth a look for you I guess 😉

Cheers

My System: Full Scale Huey SimPit

-Pit Computer: i7-12700K | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS Pro | 64GB DDR5 RAM | Nvidia RTX3090FE | Kingston KC3000 NVme

- All day use: i7-4790K | 32GB DDR4 RAM | ASRock Z97 Killer | GeForce RTX 2080 Ti AMP! | Oculus Rift | Pimax8KX | Sensoryx VRFree Gloves | X-TAL VR

47 minutes ago, EvilBert VR said:

Hey sir...
did you check my Huey SimPit build here on the forums? Worth a look for you I guess 😉

Cheers

Hello! I did in fact see your build which is amazing by the way.

Any chance you have any more info on how you attached the hall sensors to the cyclic? I see the one picture with your 3D printed parts but I can't see how they're attached to the gimbal. 

Do you have any other pictures or diagrams? If so I'd greatly appreciate it or any other advice you have about making the controls work in DCS.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I recommend googling Hall Effect Sensor and seeing images of how they work. They operate over quite small distances, and can be set up to read rotation in a number of different configs. There are many examples of their use here in ED forums, with custom mounts hand made or 3d printed. 
they are also slightly more forgiving engineering-wise, and do not wear out from friction, as they have no contact with cogs or such. The orientation of the magnet to the Hall could be done in a few different ways to work with your gimbal. 

i use them in various ways, though recently I have replaced the ones on my cyclic for potentiometers and am much happier with the result…. 

SCAN Intel Core i9 10850K "Comet Lake", 32GB DDR4, 10GB NVIDIA RTX 3080, HP Reverb G2

Custom Mi-24 pit with magnetic braked cyclic and collective. See it here: Molevitch Mi-24 Pit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] www.blacksharkden.com

bsd sig 2021.jpg