Tactics?

fox_111

I'm used to Falcon4 AF tactics, but when it come to chopper tactics, I'm kinda new to this. I searched around for some reading material on the topic and can't really find anything.

Anyone got some good source of infos on real world tactics relative to helicopter warfare?

I know the ovious "use the terrain". But beyond that. Good evasive manuvers, good ingress and egress paterns, weapon employement...

I'm getting better every day at piloting that thing, now I need to put thoses skills at work in an organised manner.

I hope some people chime in here. I just did the "clear tvarcheli" mission, for example. Doing it without labels I can't imagine, and even with them on, the sams are tucked away, and can only be seen from certain angles from the ridges, without getting blown up. Maybe I need to stand off more, but.....well tips are good.

Seems very hard to survive untill they are gone that's for sure.

My wingman wanted nothing to do with em, hehe.

E8600 Asus P5E Radeon 4870x2 Corsair 4gb Velociraptor 300gb Neopower 650 NZXT Tempest Vista64 Samsung 30" 2560x1600

I'm used to Falcon4 AF tactics, but when it come to chopper tactics, I'm kinda new to this. I searched around for some reading material on the topic and can't really find anything.

Anyone got some good source of infos on real world tactics relative to helicopter warfare?

I know the ovious "use the terrain". But beyond that. Good evasive manuvers, good ingress and egress paterns, weapon employement...

I'm getting better every day at piloting that thing, now I need to put thoses skills at work in an organised manner.

I don't know if this stuff will help but I have found some stuff and maybe a littlle of it might apply. Here it is -

Navy.txt

Tactics.txt

Helo_SimTecT2004.pdf

Helo_SimTecT2004.pdf

• Like 1

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals

TY tusler and LaserP.

Great films in the other thread. And love the pdfs etc.

I'm just wondering how most guys are dealing with sams----send the wingman to recon?

Is it possible to have AI wingie send you targets by data link on command?

I know I know read read---but it's hard for ADD people like me to dig some of this stuff out.

TY sirs

E8600 Asus P5E Radeon 4870x2 Corsair 4gb Velociraptor 300gb Neopower 650 NZXT Tempest Vista64 Samsung 30" 2560x1600

TY tusler and LaserP.

Great films in the other thread. And love the pdfs etc.

I'm just wondering how most guys are dealing with sams----send the wingman to recon?

I know I know read read---but it's hard for ADD people like me to dig some of this stuff out.

TY sirs

Hi,

Well if the sams are hidden in the Trees there is no hope, Trees will be fixed in the new engine release in 09 from what I understand.

Other than that what I have been doing is putting the bird in a forward flight of less than 50, with Altitude auto on and scan constantly with the shkval out between 4 and 8 clicks in front. i notice the sam accuracy past 3.5 clicks out is not that good if you are flying nap of the earth.

You might also want to setup padlock incomming missles and when you hear missle launch, padlock it and see what direction it came from.

Thats about all we can do now except like you say use the wingie for bait. I zoom in on the shkval so that it takes up the whole screen and can pick out stuff a surprising distance away.:joystick:

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals

I wonder, if you land while being targetted, if the radar will still track you and the missil catch you. On radar guided SAM, I guess immobile, ground contacts are filtered out. As for laser guided SAM, as long as the LOS is broken, no hit. But I never tried it in-game yet. (I get killed too soon to think or incase myself into something hard while manuvering to hide)

The Ka-50 does not have a RWR, wich is suprising to me.

What I hate most is AT-5 Konkurs (ironically, in Finnish Konkurs is bankcrupcy in english :P) fired from those BMP-2s. No warning and damn they hit well for a anti-tank missile.

Not sure if they are actually used for that because in reality, as they are mean for ground targets only?

About 8m^2. Med/High alt SAMs won't do you in at ground level, but AAMs can, as well as stinger type SAMs, ATGMs, RPGs, any guy with a gun, as well as any SAM of the Tunguska type or specifically designed for Shorad.

And of course, any A2G weapons or man-portable ATGMs of the scary javelin fame :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I'd say that the tactics are largely going to be dictated by the enviroment and situation you find yourself in. Understanding the capabilities of the aircraft, to include all the ASE (aircraft survival equipment), optimal weapons engagement ranges, target weapon pairing (do I really need to waste a valuable ATGM (anti-tank guided missile) on an IFV? If i'm engaging with the cannon, whats its penetration power and whats the effective range? Does it put me within the enemies optimal engagement range with their weapon system? If i'm looking for a firing position from which to launch missiles, am I silhouting myself against the sky or am I below the horizon. In the real world, i'd also be concerned with audio signature, so distance figures into it. If i'm operating in an urban enviroment, knowing that the enemy may be posting folks with cellular phones on roof tops with long lines of sight may cause issues, so i'll probably want to keep myself outside of potential threat engagement ranges, or if forced to operate inside of those ranges be very, very aware of the fact that the enemy is going to have a much easier time engaging me simply because the distance doesn't really allow any of my maneuvers to be effective as i'm this little dot on the horizon barely moving. Anyway, i've rambled on too long. To many things to think about as I said, and all of them are situation dependent.

Brad

really apreciate the replies, and really great to hear the trees will be fixed.

In other words, can you send the AI wingman out, have him mark AA targets and send you back the info in ABRIS?

best to all

really apreciate the replies, and really great to hear the trees will be fixed.

In other words, can you send the AI wingman out, have him mark AA targets and send you back the info in ABRIS?

best to all

Not sure if they specify, but I once sent them recon and they uploaded me with armor icons on my ABRISS.

Patience is everything I think. On top of using the environment to your advantage and REALLY studying the briefing maps/target area well.

I use labels every so often, I try not to. Maybe i'll pop them on for a second to see where the heck that bandit is my wingie keeps barking in my ear.

I can't imagine I won't be fully away from labels for a few more weeks ;)..or months...hopefully NOT years ;).

Your wingmates will differentiate between the three types of data link targets: armored vehicles, SAM/AAA threats, and other targets.

TY I am going to have to figure out the abris so i can read that data.

AIR TO AIR!!!!!!

tonite i played "road block" a great litte mission built by ronht.

there are enemy mi-24s flying all over the place---I get them on my TV but cannot lock them for anything. My AI wingman loves to go after them.

I know how to switch into airborne target but am confused about the whole air to air thing in BS.

How do you guys take out enemy helicopters?

TY to all

It's pretty much the same process as attacking a ground target, except that, as you noticed, getting a lock with the Shkval is quite a bit more difficult. As far as I know there's no trick to it, however; just adjust the gate size properly and keep hitting the lock button. It's not supposed to be easy, the aircraft was not built for air to air!

I recommend using the helmet mounted sight for targeting AA contacts. If you padlock the bandit while using the helmet mounted sight and hold the uncage Shkval button the Shkval will slew onto the target and you can lock him up. I haven't used Vikhr against an AA target but I found the cannon works best against low aspect targets (i.e when your at their six o'clock).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Great minds think alike; idiots seldom differ.":pilotfly:

i5 3750K@4.3Ghz, MSI Z77A GD55, 8GB DDR3, Palit GTX 670, 24" Benq@1920*1080, X52 Pro, Win 7 64bit.

I recommend using the helmet mounted sight for targeting AA contacts. If you padlock the bandit while using the helmet mounted sight and hold the uncage Shkval button the Shkval will slew onto the target and you can lock him up. I haven't used Vikhr against an AA target but I found the cannon works best against low aspect targets (i.e when your at their six o'clock).

2nd mission into the grand campaign, my tank plinking took me within range of a taxiing Mig23, made a nice explosion - got a nice shiny medal at the end of it as well. ;)

I wonder what are the requirements for medals award. I have a couple of medals and some where awarded because I was fired uppon and nailed the bastard, some I just don't know. Most are about bravery.

When I found out that AK (7x62) rounds did not really damage the aircraft, I started flying around targets at low speed and low altitude (50m or less) and nail them close with cannon or rockets. It would make a nice movie scene, but not very tactical of me to be so cocky. But I do get medals like that!