More Liveries from ED please

ak22

5 hours ago, aceviper said:

I would like them to fix the shimmering liveries they added in an early patch first....no mip maps.

Yeah I agree,

Maybe figure out which ones it is and then make a bug report listing them?

"Default skins missing mip-maps" or something like that in the bug section.

I'd do it but I don't have the time right now.

• Like 1

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

The F-16 could really need some livery love. Shimmering liveries need fixing and more liveries are needed to represent the Gulf countries.
Also some more US liveries in camouflage would be great. The standard grey is a bit boring...

I'd actually prefer not to have more liveries, the game is bloated enough as it is. It's very easy to install liveries for personal use, for anyone interested in having more.

Definitely in favor of fixing the mipmap problem though.

• Like 6

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

55 minutes ago, Harker said:

I'd actually prefer not to have more liveries, the game is bloated enough as it is. It's very easy to install liveries for personal use, for anyone interested in having more.

What we really need is a livery manager. Allow us to remove liveries if we need file space and replace the removed liveries with a default skin. I have tons of a space reserved for DCS and I'd love to see dozens of skins added for each plane, but I know that would also be an issue for some with the current system.

• Like 2

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

What we really need is a livery manager. Allow us to remove liveries if we need file space and replace the removed liveries with a default skin. I have tons of a space reserved for DCS and I'd love to see dozens of skins added for each plane, but I know that would also be an issue for some with the current system.
That would indeed be the best way to go about it. Have a default livery per unit and allow us to download from a pool of official liveries or group liveries by time period and/or country.

I have little use for most MiG-21 and F-14A liveries, for example, because I don't really encounter those units in the missions I play. And IIRC, they have some of the largest livery folders in the game.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-

Here's the link for the texture template. I could be wrong but ED probably won't do more liveries so you need to create your own:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/texture_templates/f-16c_template/

Also if you're on Facebook there is a group called "DCS Skinners" that you can probably request a specific livery and somebody will probably do it.

Edited by EricJ

LOMAC Section| | Gaming Resume (PDF) | Gallery | Flanker2.51 Storage Site |

Also known as Flanker562 back in the day...

Steam ID EricJ562 | DCS: A-10A/C Pilot | DCS: Su-25T Pilot | Texture Artist

"...parade ground soldiers always felt that way (contempt) about killers in uniform." -Counting The Cost, Hammer's Slammers

• 2 weeks later...

That would be an excessive amount of data to try and upload/download when entering a server.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

• 2 months later...

Now with the smoke generator on the way, we would really need at least one livery suitable for demo/aerobatics.

and we still desperately need liveries for the gulf countries that have f-16s in real life. there are a few!

• ED Team

Hi,

Skins can often be rather large files, and the more we add, the larger the install footprint becomes. We have a good balance now of many skins, but not so many it bloats the install.

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

12 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

We have a good balance now of many skins

I can't agree with that. Currently there are: +15 USAF skins, 9 HAF skins. Which is about 70% of all F-16 skins.

On contrast, only 1 skin for Turkey.

At least 3-4 skins per country would be nice. We can provide you official template-based, minimal modified skins if you are willing to add them officially.

[CENTER]

Signum_Signatur.png

[/CENTER]

I can't agree with that. Currently there are: +15 USAF skins, 9 HAF skins. Which is about 70% of all F-16 skins.
On contrast, only 1 skin for Turkey.
At least 3-4 skins per country would be nice. We can provide you official template-based, minimal modified skins if you are willing to add them officially.
With so many operators, do you realize how many liveries we'd need for 3-4 per country? As BN says, it's very easy to get bloated installs and some other modules are guilty of doing that.

People can install whatever livery they want, very easily, there's no need to bloat the vanilla install more. I f someone cares about using or seeing a particular livery, they can install it.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

-

• 1 month later...
On 6/25/2022 at 9:33 PM, BIGNEWY said:

Hi,

Skins can often be rather large files, and the more we add, the larger the install footprint becomes. We have a good balance now of many skins, but not so many it bloats the install.

I strongly disagree with the "good balance". The selection of liveries for the F-16c is very meagre compared to other modules, especially the F-18. It does not help, that the USAF liveries avaialble for the 16 all look more or less the same. Some also looking quite bad actually...
I don't think that it is a coincidence that all the pictures of the F-16c on your social media show the 16 with liveries that are not available in dcs. If those are still WIP or user-made i don't know, but they do look notably better than what comes with the module.
F.e. https://imginn.com/p/CfHSUOeO-6f/  there are lot of other examples... in the video trailer too. I hope those are WIP and will find their way into the sim...
I understand that liveries can add quite a lot of disc space required, but if you compare the 16 to the 18, you'll have to agree that the F-16c is really lacking.

Edited by twistking
  • Like 1

I definitely agree with having a livery manager and possibly having the server synchronise custom liveries such that they get automatically downloaded as required (perhaps it would be better if that was made optional).

I usually end up adjusting the names of liveries to use more consistent formatting, problem is I have to edit them every time the game updates/repairs.

As far as new F-16 liveries go, as long as it covers the operators of the F-16CM Block 50 (which is only the USA and Turkey) I'm good, everything else is a fictional bonus.

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

On 6/25/2022 at 8:33 PM, BIGNEWY said:

Hi,

How about adding more country's and removing some of the USAF & HAF skins ? we have lots of them ..

Edited by ak22
  • Like 1

• ED Team
Just now, ak22 said:

How about adding more country's and removing some of the USAF skins ? we have lots of them.

its not that simple, when a country is added images need to be found for flags, squadrons and medals for the log book, and databases need to be updated. The work soon mounts up if we start adding all countries. At the moment we are happy with the current selection.

thank you

• Thanks 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

6 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

its not that simple, when a country is added images need to be found for flags, squadrons and medals for the log book, and databases need to be updated. The work soon mounts up if we start adding all countries. At the moment we are happy with the current selection.

thank you

I understand  theirs a lot of country's fly the F-16, but maybe you can consider adding the county's that we have current maps for in the future?  For example Jordan, Iraq, U.A.E (I know they fly the block 60 but we have Japanese F2 skin on the f-16.)

Edited by ak22
  • Like 2

While I do agree that lots of US and GR liveries and little for other operators isn't particularly ideal, I do think that the number of liveries for it is pretty good.

High res liveries eat up a lot of space, and DCS folder is getting mighty bloated. Especially seeing that next maps look very likely to be giant space eaters when they come, I don't think having a million official liveries per module is the correct path forward.

• Like 2

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script