Should I hear the hellfire explotion sounds?

Moxica

I can not hear any sounds from exploding hellfires, even if they detonate fairly close. Is this implemented, or have I missed out on some setting?

Edited by Moxica

ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING - PNY GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X  - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 64Gb RAM - 2x2Tb M2 - Win11 - HP Reverb g2 - Oculus Quest 2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - 2X Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

Thank you, Razor18
I heard faint and delayed booms in a video, and there were also tracers..
Not gonna ask about tracers, though. Not in the mood for more of them sarcastic answers.

Edited by Moxica
  • Like 3

ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING - PNY GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X  - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 64Gb RAM - 2x2Tb M2 - Win11 - HP Reverb g2 - Oculus Quest 2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - 2X Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

1 hour ago, Moxica said:

Thank you, Razor18
Not gonna ask about tracers, though. Not in the mood for more of them ironic answers.

I just discovered that I wasn't hearing the voice responses from my AI CP/G etc. Turns out (and I don't know why) I had my normal sound playing through my 5.1 sound system but those AI sounds were playing out of my head phones. I never would have known if my Headphones hadn't just happen to have been on and I hear "lasing" coming out of  it.

Follow up: 

I unplugged my Headphones from the PC and now I'm hearing all sorts of sounds I never heard before.

Edited by pii
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Moxica said:

Thank you, Razor18
Not gonna ask about tracers, though. Not in the mood for more of them sarcastic answers.

Hi Moxica. You're not likely to hear much from onboard the helo but try doing a quick track and watching it back from the perspective of the unit you've targeted. That'll confirm it one way or another, plus, it's fun 🙂 Oh yes, that is.... if the track actually works properly, which is unlikely at the moment 😞

• Like 1

CPU: Intel i9 13900KS @5.8GHz | MB: ROG Strix Z790 Gaming-E | GPU: Asus ROG Strix RTX3090 OC | RAM: 32Gb Corsair Dominator DDR5 @6200MHz | Cooling: Custom CPU/GPU cooling loop | PSU: Supernova 850G2 @ 850W | OS: Windows 10 Home Premium 64Bit
Storage: 3x Samsung EVO 970 Plus M.2 1Tb + 3x Samsung 850 EVO SSD 250Gb | Input: TM HOTAS WH Saitek Combat Pedals | Output: Samsung 50" OLED TV | VR: HP Reverb G2 | Audio: Realtek + Z906 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System

vor 9 Stunden schrieb Moxica:

I can not hear any sounds from exploding hellfires, even if they detonate fairly close. Is this implemented, or have I missed out on some setting?

You can play with your sound settings in DCS and see if it helps, but to be honest I don't think you should hear any explotions in the cockpit for the reasons @Razor18 mentioned.

• Like 2

Viggen GIF 2.gif

"If we don't end war, war will end us."  

H. G. Wells

10 hours ago, Moxica said:

Sound travels 1 kilometer in roughly 3 seconds. So if you are engaging at 5km, the sound delay ought to be 15 seconds for each hellfire.  That's a really long delay that most people aren't used to! 

At half a KM a Hellfire would be loud. At 5km, maybe not so much, but still hear it if there was no other noise and you  perked up yer ears. But then add in all the helo sounds, a busy radio net, threat warnings, crew coordination... I don't think I'd notice actually hearing them "boom", but no experience IRL.  

What I CAN tell you from personal real life, is that the times I rode on Chinooks, Hueys and other helos, is that even those are really quite loud. Earplugs as an infantry or just passenger.

Back in the 1990's I heard several airstrikes in Croatia/Yugoslavia... they were far away, and still VERY loud. But those were probably LGB Paveways, and I've no idea really how far they might have been. Ok I just looked up using google for what it might have been and checked on a map... the bombs probably were dropped 57 kilometers away from where I operated that first day of strikes. Keep in mind though, that was me standing outside, no radio, no earplugs, no vehicle making noise, just bare ears, and those were HUGE warheads going off. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airstrike_on_Udbina_Air_Base

I was near Zadar at the time. I don't know what size LGB the warheads were, but count on at least 500lb, and there might have been a couple 2000lb, but maybe not.

Edited by Rick50
  • Like 2

To be fair, it's only around a 20lb warhead, isn't it? I would suspect that at medium to longe range the most you'd hear on the ground might be a loud <crack> and that the sound of whatever it kills eventually exploding would be louder, but as mentioned that can sometimes be a minute or 2 by which time you're not really focussing on listening for that particular bang.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, frostycab said:

To be fair, it's only around a 20lb warhead, isn't it? I would suspect that at medium to longe range the most you'd hear on the ground might be a loud <crack> and that the sound of whatever it kills eventually exploding would be louder, but as mentioned that can sometimes be a minute or 2 by which time you're not really focussing on listening for that particular bang.

Exactly. So it wouldn't  ACTUALLY be silent, but actually noticing the noise from the explosion might not occur for all the reasons and factors. Just the foam in the earpiece on your Apache helmet might cut that out completely, already rather mute. And I've no idea how loud the cockpit of an Apache is when you removed helmet in flight, could  be deafening?

• Like 2

• ED Team

Its best to play around with the sound levels also the option to hear like in helmet can make a huge difference to what sounds you can hear and can not. 
I would suggest trying with it unticked to hear more. 

• Like 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

22 hours ago, Moxica said:

Thank you, Razor18

Moxica, some content creators, such as Growling Sidewinder add sound effects into their videos for entertainment purposes.  That may be what you're referring to.  I believe what Razor18 may have been trying to say was there is so much noise in a real apache, and with the helmet, the pilots don't actually hear much of the outside world sounds.

• Like 2

• ED Team

You will definitely hear the sound of an explosion inside the cockpit with the engines completely turned off. Both in life and in DCS. But on a running engine with ECS and spinning rotors, most likely not. Especially if we are talking about Apache, it is really a very noisy helicopter.

• Like 3

Best regards,

Kanstantsin Kuzniatsou (btd)

On 4/6/2022 at 5:08 PM, Reaper51368 said:

I believe what Razor18 may have been trying to say was there is so much noise in a real apache, and with the helmet, the pilots don't actually hear much of the outside world sounds.

Thank you !