AH-64D - Horrendous Frame Rate

Toni Carrera

Hi All,

Only when trying to fly the Apache today, I have gone back to the terrible Frame Rate that I had when the AH-64D came out on Day One. It is not so much of a Frame Rate issue, it is more like a set of screenshots being displayed. This all started when I installed the great Homey mod from Bailey that puts the conversions on the windows with a marker pen etc. I deleted that entire structure, hoping it would recover, but alas not

I have deleted the fxo and metashaders folders, ran Cleanup and Repair, but still the same thing happens. I want to just clear out my OpenBeta folder and start again. How do I convert/copy my Stable to openBeta, and then allow it to update to the latest beta. I am trying to avoid having to download the whole program and the 20 or so modules I own from scratch

Thanks in advance for any assistance that maybe provided

Toni

• Like 1

Toni Carrera (Ice Rhino)

ThrustMaster HOTAS Warthog Throttle & A10C Stick, ThrustMaster F/A-18C Stick, ThrustMaster TFRP Pedals, ThrustMaster Cougars x 2, fitted to CubeSim USB Screens, TrackIR 4 Active LED & Cap Reflector, Stream Deck XL

Intel® Core™ i7-5820K 12 Core Processor, 32GB RAM, 1 x 500GB SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD, 1 x 1TB SSD 4 x 4TB Western Digital Mechanical. 2 x ASUS GTX 1080's SLI, ASUS 29" Ultrawide flanked by 2 x 22" IPS Monitors

WARNING!!! This may be the wrong way, but it seems to work for me. 

I just delete my OB folder, as well as the OB stuff in Saved Games, then run the installer. It uses most of the stuff from my Stable installation and just downloads the deltas. I normally backup my mods folder with aircraft and maps just in case before I do this as they really are too big to all download again, then just drop them back into place after the installation finishes. 

Thanks Frosty

TC

Toni Carrera (Ice Rhino)

ThrustMaster HOTAS Warthog Throttle & A10C Stick, ThrustMaster F/A-18C Stick, ThrustMaster TFRP Pedals, ThrustMaster Cougars x 2, fitted to CubeSim USB Screens, TrackIR 4 Active LED & Cap Reflector, Stream Deck XL

Intel® Core™ i7-5820K 12 Core Processor, 32GB RAM, 1 x 500GB SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD, 1 x 1TB SSD 4 x 4TB Western Digital Mechanical. 2 x ASUS GTX 1080's SLI, ASUS 29" Ultrawide flanked by 2 x 22" IPS Monitors

In fact, I forgot about my Backup software completely. I last did a full backup of stable and OB on 30/03/2022, so I will just delete what is in the folder, and restore the full backup

Thank you for jogging my memory on that one

Toni

Toni Carrera (Ice Rhino)

If it still does not work, you can try the DCS Update Witching Utility (googleable). It cleans some stuff that DCS re-install attempts don’t. 

• Like 1

@Bailey I just wanted to add that I am sure it is not your great Homey cockpit mod, I suspect it is something different

Did not mean to imply that it was your mod that caused the problem

Toni

Toni Carrera (Ice Rhino)

45 minutes ago, Toni Carrera said:

@Bailey I just wanted to add that I am sure it is not your great Homey cockpit mod, I suspect it is something different

Did not mean to imply that it was your mod that caused the problem

Toni

Nope. Just happened to stumble upon this thread and offered a general solution.

• BIGNEWY changed the title to AH-64D - Horrendous Frame Rate
On 4/6/2022 at 11:10 PM, Bailey said:

If it still does not work, you can try the DCS Update Witching Utility (googleable). It cleans some stuff that DCS re-install attempts don’t. 

@Bailey and Toni, I am experiencing the same thing, about every 20 seconds I get a significant hesitation, framerates drop to about 1/2 to almost zero then returns back to normal. As Toni mentions, it acts like a slideshow. My other missions have no issues until I put an Apache in it, then I experience the exact same thing... other aircraft do not have this issue.  I've tried various driver versions, did a complete uninstall and reinstall twice with removing the saved games directory, the issue remains.  I am working on the 3rd uninstall/reinstall this morning.

Two other observations... when I set TADS video on the MFD, the sim literally stops for about 3-5 seconds.  And when I'm only sitting idling on the ground hot and just watch the framerate, every time the hesitation/pause occurs and my framerates drop, the main rotor shadow on the ground reverses direction... CW to CCW then back to CW and so forth.

My other flightsim IL-2, XP11 and MSFS have any issues... silky smooth across the board.

I will try the Witching Utility if the 3rd reinstall doesn't resolve the issue.

Appreciate any assistance with this issue!

Thanks! Spaz

System Configuration:

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard
Team T-Force Delta RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory
Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
XFX Radeon RX 580 8 GB GTS Video Card
Antec DF700 Flux ATX Mid Tower Case
Corsair RMx (2021) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit

I believe identified the cause of this issue, at least on my system.  Successfully created, eliminate and recreated the pauses with the Apache.  It is tied to Textures and Terrain Textures settings in the Settings/System tab off the main startup screen. 

When I reinstalled DCS, both those setting were set to Low.  My previous settings were Med and High respectively, had no issues prior to the Apache release.  Flying the Apache in a mission, there were no hesitations/pauses and zero delay loading the TADS video to the MFD.  When set to High, the hesitations/pauses occur regularly every ~20 seconds, as well as the game freezes for 3-5 seconds when displaying TADS video.  Change both setting back to Low, the hesitations/pauses and the TADS video freezing the game for 3-5 seconds eliminated.  Setting Textures to High and Terrain Textures to Low, the hesitations/pauses still occur as well as the TADS video delay, much less pronounced.

Note: I do not see this issue with any other aircraft, including the F/A-18C included which has similar display capabilities to the Apache.

Toni, give that a try on your system and see if you have similar results.

Spaz

• Like 1

HI @DP Spaz

I 'seem' to have solved my issue, for some unknown reason, and it wasn't me, I had both SSAA and MSAA enabled, which I know I did not change prior to this issue arising. Now that I have disabled SSAA, and only have MSAA enabled at 1.5 I think, it seems better, although the TEDAC seems to slow things down, as well as when pilot, enabling the night vision over lay, not the Goggles, the green rectangle that allows you to see through the cockpit for use with the Chain Gun

I too have no issues at all with any other aircraft, only the AH-64D. I will however try what you have said, I am also going to back off the visibility distance as I am no where near as high in the sky as I was in with any plane, now nap of earth

Still experimenting

Toni

Toni Carrera (Ice Rhino)

Hey @Toni Carrera

I also am seeing a huge framerate hit of ~10fps when displaying video from the Pilot Seat... have not sat in the CPG seat yet.

SSAA I have off, MSAA at 2x.  My visibility is set at 150000 right now, only because I just reinstalled DCS.

When displaying video in the Hornet, no issues... only the Apache.  Since its pre-release, expect they will improve and optimize all that as development continues.  And my GPU is a bit old, waiting for the chaos to end to upgrade!

Still experimenting as well and will be tweaking the settings more to accommodate the Apache. 

I'll post updates as I continue to mess with my system settings.

I'm a little late here, and fingers crossed you'll get it running fine again in no time.

On 4/5/2022 at 8:12 PM, Toni Carrera said:

How do I convert/copy my Stable to openBeta, and then allow it to update to the latest beta. I am trying to avoid having to download the whole program and the 20 or so modules I own from scratch

The DCS updater can easily take care of that. There's a comprehensive and excellent guide by Skatezilla.

The short of it is:

• Open a command prompt
  • Navigate to your DCS bin directory, by default C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\bin
  • Convert Stable to the latest OpenBeta: DCS_Updater.exe update @openbeta
  • Convert OpenBeta to the latest Stable: DCS_Updater.exe update @release

If there's another DCS installation that already has some of the required files, the Updater will automatically copy as many of them from the local disk as it can, to avoid having to donwload everything over the Internet.

In case there are leftovers from mods or any tampering with DCS' installation files, the DCS Repair utility can take care of that:

• Windows Key
  • Eagle Dynamics
  • Repair DCS World (or: Repair DCS World OpenBeta
  • Check all files (slow)
  • X Search for extra files after repair?

Finally, it's worth noting that the DCS Updater and DCS Repair don't touch Saved Games\DCS or Saved Games\DCS.OpenBeta.

The easiest way to make sure no files in that directory mess with DCS is to simply rename it, set up only the most basic options in DCS after the next start, and see of the problem is solved.

Good luck!

@DP Spaz I too will update you as I go. I meant in my last MSAA x 2, SSAA was 1.5, but now off, below is where I am at currently

image.png

@Yurgon Thank you for the information

Toni

Toni Carrera (Ice Rhino)

@DP Spaz Thanks, I will run mine up with the same, apart from the resolution which I will change to my 2560 x 1080

Again, thank you

Toni

Toni Carrera (Ice Rhino)

i have problem with TADS when i open it in the pilot seat i loose half of my fps and my gpu loose 15\20% of usage, never see nothing like it before.
if i turn off the vsync the fps dont drop to 30 but stop at 40, theres something wrong in the way the tads image has render, like the system have to render 2 time all the scenery you have in front, its terrible weird and result in an unplayable module without a low end pc, i says unplayable because the performance are the same with every grapchis setting, i try to put everything low and lower the resolution witthout no difference, i have no problem of fps play in high with f18 or a10c and their camera system to acquire the targhet.

i think we all know is an early access but should be really glad know something has moving to resolve this in the future.

5wMeSZH.png9G9G4Ux.png

@kira_mikamyJust curious, what program are you running to get that info up on screen?

Toni

• Like 1

Toni Carrera (Ice Rhino)

Personally, I always run with Mirrors off, no point having them on, just adds to GPU load for nothing but immersion IMHO

Toni

Toni Carrera (Ice Rhino)