GUN problem - Work around engage inside 2900

joojoo
Go to solution Solved by BIGNEWY,

• ED Team
5 hours ago, key_stroked said:

The OP's screenshot shows the gun is in FXD mode, which means it's not following the TADS crosshair but rather the fixed crosshair that appears in the HUD. Wouldn't that be more crucial than being outside of 2900 meters?

Very astute observation, this is indeed the likely cause.

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

50 minutes ago, Raptor9 said:

Very astute observation, this is indeed the likely cause.

It may also be that he didn't take the screenshot exactly when this happened. I've seen this happen too, that gun round impact visual effect is not drawn at long distances.
It's problably going to be corrected in a patch. Gun round impact visual effect is present at 4km+  range in the KA-50.

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, ThatPieMan said:

Bump. Anyone know if it this is still an issue? Or are we still waiting on a patch?

It's still an issue.

The lifetime of the M230 HEDP rounds that the Apache uses is set to 11 seconds, as seen in Quaggles's datamine

The timing in game when firing at 2900m seems to match the 11 seconds as well.

Can't change the value and confirm it myself as these files are locked by ED, but I strongly suspect this is what is causing it.

• 4 months later...

Had George engage with guns yesterday and could see no effect on the TADS. Gave it a few bursts, and for once I wasn’t falling all over the sky.

I assumed I was out of range, but thought it odd George fired anyway. He says if your out of range with the hellfire doesn’t he?

On 4/5/2022 at 9:42 PM, LooseSeal said:

Your acquisition source is set to your Waypoint, so that's where the gun is firing. It should be set to GHS, for gunner head sight.

This is wrong. The acquisition source only determines on where the sight should be aiming and has no effect on what weapons are doing at all (even LOAL just goes straight ahead, ACQ just helps lining up and tells the computer to let you know when you can shoot).

What determines where the gun is pointing is your selected sight, in this case TADS as indicated in the bottom left.

What determines the gun elevation is the selected range source, in this case laser, indicated with the asterisks next to the range. Possible range sources are:

• Manual (via man range in WPN page) - Fixed range, indicated with M
  • Laser (automatic when firing the laser) - Laser range, 1m accurate, indicated with *
  • Radar (when selecting target as next to shoot on the FCR page) - Radar range, 10m accurate, indicated with R
  • Auto (when selecting "A" as range in WPN page) - Range determined by calculating the slant range using the camera angle intersecting a level plane beneath the aircraft indicated by radar altimeter, indicated with A
  • Nav (when slaving to a point and not doing anything else) - unsure if slant or 2d range to 3d point or 2d point on ground, but basically useless for targeting dumb munitions either way. Indicated with N

There are a few caveats here though. With TADS as sight, the gun (and rockets) will always try to lead the target, depending on how the range changes and the rotation speed of the camera, even with LMC off. For best gunnery results, keep firing the laser and enable LMC and get it as stable as you can on target, whether it is moving or not. This has the benefit of also keeping you stable if your pilot maneuvers. Best accuracies are achieved < 2000m

Also the gun needs to be in normal mode. Fixed has the gun pointed forward at a fixed angle.

Edited by FalcoGer

• 2 weeks later...