Autohover and En-Route mode?

v2tec

Does the real AH-64d really lack of an autohover mode and automatic en-route mode?

I thought it would be a modern combat helicopter - like the KA-50.

Perhaps, that is the reason, why we have a separat pilot in the AH-64d doing that job...

Edited by v2tec
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

________________________ ________ ______ ___ __ _

Win10 64 Pro, i7-6800K 3.4Ghz, 32 GB (DDR4), Asus Aorus 1080 TI WF, TrackIR 5 / RIFT, Thrustmaster Warthog, Fanatec Pedals, 55" oled 4k TV, Modules:A10C, KA-50, Huey, AV-8B, FA-18, F-16, NTTR, Persian Gulf

_ __ ___ ____ _____ ______ _______ ____________

6 minutes ago, v2tec said:

Perhaps, that is the reason, why we have a separat pilot in the AH-64d doing that job...

Yes. I thought the same thing.

Ka-50 was flied by one pilot. Its systems were designed to reduce workload of pilot, but it's not the same thing for Apache.

But, I expected the same thing as you did for Apache; very advanced navigation and MPD systems but no auto fly or auto things. 😕

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

Hover hold etc. are not implemented yet.  Perhaps in the next update.

• Thanks 3

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

yes some interesting design choices in the systems. I'm sure they have a reason.

Not sure why something simple like cycle through waypoints isnt on the hocas, but I guess the CPG looks after the nav IRL?

Casmo demonstrated what can go wrong with the pilot getting his head down in the MPD's in a clip 🙂

Edited by spikenet
add link

Well I wish ED would get on the stick with the Hover Hold implementation. I could sure use the assistance for my landings from hover lol.

• Like 2

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

48 minutes ago, dburne said:

Well I wish ED would get on the stick with the Hover Hold implementation. I could sure use the assistance for my landings from hover lol.

The early access release has some mind boggling choices.  Lack of a hover hold and a functioning attitude hold, to start with.

Not to mention the robbie tank and gimping the amount of rounds we can carry.

• Like 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

29 minutes ago, agamemnon_b5 said:

The early access release has some mind boggling choices.  Lack of a hover hold and a functioning attitude hold, to start with.

What is this 'hover hold' everyone is talking about? As stated above - there are altitude and attitude holds.

I'd be interested to find out from those in the know whether these two, when activated together in a pre-established hover, actually do hold the aircraft in a stable, stationary hover. And to what extent do we need to maneuver ourselves into a stationary hover prior to engaging them? Is it like the Ka-50 where we can get below a certain speed, activate them and the aircraft will stabilise itself down to 0kts? If not, I fear lots of people will come on here complaining about how they're still drifting around with the so-called "hover hold" enabled 🙄

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

Sounds like early access isn’t for everyone.🤔

It’s not for the faint of heart 😂

• Like 3

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

26 minutes ago, Sarge55 said:

Sounds like early access isn’t for everyone.🤔

It’s not for the faint of heart 😂

I thinks it looks more than "flying an helicopter isn´t for everyone"

Cmon guys, auto hover and route mode, you like to be the passenger of your on bike? 

• Like 2

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

Well we don't really know and ED afaik is not saying yet. No reason to bash on those commenting about it really... I will say IF there are any stability features coming that will help one maintain a hover they certainly would be welcomed by me, irregardless of what you call them.

Anyways back to practicing my hovering and landings from a hover. I just refuse to continue in my learning of the Apache until I can do these consistently.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

16 minutes ago, 5ephir0th said:

Cmon guys, auto hover and route mode, you like to be the passenger of your on bike? 

No, but I do like to take a few bingers, and drink a few beers on the way to a target area, while admiring the helicopter in 3rd person view, and fly bys.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, LooseSeal said:

What is this 'hover hold' everyone is talking about? As stated above - there are altitude and attitude holds.

Semantics argument.

1 hour ago, 5ephir0th said:

So now we clowning people for wanting stuff that's on the aircraft that is being modeled?

• Thanks 4

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Okay.

Single player.

In cpg seat.  Fighting AND flying.

Being able to use auto hover /alt hold like in the gazelle will be really useful for real quick alt adjustments.  Quicker and more accurate than our friend George.  He does a good job, but not as quick as I am at gaining alt for a LOAL or ducking down to hide from a missile launch.

On 4/6/2022 at 9:15 AM, dburne said:

Learn how to do it yourself, its more fun when you finally get it. Its taken me from day one till today to finally be able to (some what) hover and can land now fairly close to where I wanted to and not 3 miles away. 🙂 Next step is to land on a little tiny wheenie pad. lol

Now get back to training cadet and stop looking for a crutch. 🙂 

• Like 2

On 4/6/2022 at 4:41 PM, LooseSeal said:

I'd be interested to find out from those in the know whether these two, when activated together in a pre-established hover, actually do hold the aircraft in a stable, stationary hover.

AFAIK they do, if activated at 4kts or less.

On 4/6/2022 at 4:05 PM, agamemnon_b5 said:

Not to mention the robbie tank and gimping the amount of rounds we can carry.

ED planned to have both AP hold modes available at EA release, but unfortunately the work on the underlying SCAS system turned out much more complicated than expected, so that they were't able to deliver the hold modes with the iniital EA release.
Wags talked about this somewhere in this interview IIRC:

• Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

21 hours ago, pii said:

Learn how to do it yourself, its more fun when you finally get it. Its taken me from day one till today to finally be able to (some what) hover and can land now fairly close to where I wanted to and not 3 miles away. 🙂 Next step is to land on a little tiny wheenie pad. lol

Now get back to training cadet and stop looking for a crutch. 🙂 

Has nothing to do with a crutch and everything to do with practicality.  Casmo inadvertently demonstrated this when he almost crashed while trying to do several things at once.  

The Apache seems to settle into power quite easily, and the collective is extremally sensitive and almost requires constant inputs, no matter how small.  Casmo was doing all this while also engaging targets, looking for the enemy, directing the CPG etc.  Almost ended up in a fiery crash.

13 minutes ago, QuiGon said:

ED planned to have both AP hold modes available at EA release, but unfortunately the work on the underlying SCAS system turned out much more complicated than expected, so that they were't able to deliver the hold modes with the iniital EA release.

Then it should have been delayed another month or two.  They already had the preorder money.  I'm sure the community would understand, given they'd be getting a more functioning product.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

11 minutes ago, agamemnon_b5 said:

Then it should have been delayed another month or two.  They already had the preorder money.  I'm sure the community would understand, given they'd be getting a more functioning product.

Delaying the whole module just because the AP mode is missing?? Are you out of your mind?
Sorry, but that's a pretty wild idea and unlike you I don't mind the missing AP very much and wouldn't have wanted to wait any longer for the module just because some people can't hover.
What stopped you from just waiting until the AP modes are implemented? No one forced you to buy into EA...

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 8

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

1 hour ago, QuiGon said:

See, if that's true then maybe people should be using this time to learn how to do their own stable hover without AP.

I genuinely don't mind it currently. I never use the attitude hold, or feel that I need to. I love the fact that the IHADSS symbology, like the pitch ladder and horizon line, doesn't change when you look around, the way it does in a Hornet for example. If you're looking down at the screens or zoomed in, you can still very effectively keep track of whether you're maintaining a good attitude in the hover.

• Like 2

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

On 4/6/2022 at 9:41 AM, LooseSeal said:

I'd be interested to find out from those in the know whether these two, when activated together in a pre-established hover, actually do hold the aircraft in a stable, stationary hover. And to what extent do we need to maneuver ourselves into a stationary hover prior to engaging them? Is it like the Ka-50 where we can get below a certain speed, activate them and the aircraft will stabilise itself down to 0kts? If not, I fear lots of people will come on here complaining about how they're still drifting around with the so-called "hover hold" enabled 🙄

position, velocity and att

On 4/11/2022 at 7:12 AM, QuiGon said:

Wags talked about this somewhere in this interview IIRC:

0-5 knots should be position hold

• Like 3

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I7 4790K / EVGA 1080ti SC / 32GB DDR3 / 1TB SSD / Oculus Rift S / X-56 / MFG Crosswind V2 / ButtKicker + Simshaker for Aviators

old habits hard to break LB2 / Microprose Gunship /EEAH/  Arma 3 apache mod .... I got spoiled on auto hover ! Sorry mods mentioned the unmentionables ....but I do respect the challenge of maintaining a hover and while I can do it, I find it very very hard to maintain altitude , next thing you know after targeting some tanks I'm up 500 more feet ! The collective is sensitive , theres a sweet spot of just nudging the collective the torque drops fast and so do I 

• Like 2