Autohover and En-Route mode?

v2tec

Perfect Superhuman Auto-hover exists. Caveat it's that it's single player only

Bind - 'Active Pause' on your joystick

Press whilst doing 160kt in a nose down flight for very effective AAA strafing and targeting. Press again when you see tracers flying straight towards you to instantly resume 160kt. Repeat

Profit!

• Like 3

On 4/11/2022 at 8:36 AM, QuiGon said:

Delaying the whole module just because the AP mode is missing?? Are you out of your mind?
Sorry, but that's a pretty wild idea and unlike you I don't mind the missing AP very much and wouldn't have wanted to wait any longer for the module just because some people can't hover.
What stopped you from just waiting until the AP modes are implemented? No one forced you to buy into EA...

No, it's delaying until it's more feature complete, more enjoyable, and more user friendly (you know, like games should be).  It's not that people can't hover, it's more difficult than it needs to be.  Like I mentioned before, Casmo demonstrated this by becoming task saturated and almost crashing.  But I will mention other modules had simple things like hold channels at launch.

But, if you'd rather excuse questionable decision making...

I prefer to hold developers accountable for such.  More DCS users should.  Otherwise, the cycle of "release half finished aircraft and get back to it in a year or two while we work on the next release of an incomplete aircraft" will continue ad nauseum.

Edited by agamemnon_b5
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Then EA is not for you.  You should have waited until feature complete. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

On 4/16/2022 at 11:21 AM, Sarge55 said:

Then EA is not for you.  You should have waited until feature complete. 

And again, people missing the point.  But then again, I'm capable of taking off the rose-tinted glasses.

Edited by agamemnon_b5
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9 minutes ago, agamemnon_b5 said:

And again, people missing the point.

So, as concisely as you can make it, what is the point? That it should not have released without the hold modes completed? OK, that's a fair opinion. I don't share it with you, but not everyone agrees with everyone else. 

On 4/16/2022 at 3:14 PM, agamemnon_b5 said:

But I will mention other modules had simple things like hold channels at launch.

Other modules have launched with working radars. Should that have been finished prior to EA release too? JDAM's were also a late inclusion for many jets. 

On 4/16/2022 at 3:14 PM, agamemnon_b5 said:

There's nothing quite like being condescending to make someone agree with you....

Personally, I dive into early access knowing exactly what I'm getting into, and being entirely objective and honest about it I've never been disappointed. Regardless of what the game is or who the devs are, EA is simply an option that people are free to either partake of or wait until the product is finished. I see it as a chance to get a product earlier and cheaper, learn how to play, help to play-test and refine it, and perhaps even help influence its ongoing development. I actually get a lot of enjoyment out of learning how to fly well without a computer holding my hand the whole way as it can be really satisfying. For those who can't do that I can see how it might seem frustrating, but with luck it might all work by the time the next update drops. 

I think I'd go into politics before I'd go into game development. When it comes to release dates you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. 

• Like 6

Early access doesnot mean feature complete. 

There will be features missing. 

Compared to the F-16, the Apache release is awesome. We could fly it in a multiplayer mission after the first hotfix. The F-16 is now getting there, but it took a long time to have the feature set that the Apache had at release. 

And features missing is a natural thing of early access. The Apache is usable with most of its systems, so I don't see why it should have been delayed further. I would miss many features, but not an autopilot. 

I took about 20 flight hours to master hover, braking and popups though. But then, I am a fixed wing guy so I blame half of the time on that. Go to Kutaisi, takeoff from a hover. Accelerate down the taxiway towards the ramp. Stop at the ramp without gaving the nose drift more than 30 degrees off the initial course. Hover, turn in a hover towards another ramp,  repeat. Hover there. Climb in a hover to 300 ft. Drop sideways and get down to 20ft asap. Stop in front of a hangar. Slide sideways. Then try to do everything faster.

Flying your helicopter is a skill you should master, and hovering is a part of it imho.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2022 at 9:14 AM, agamemnon_b5 said:

No, it's delaying until it's more feature complete, more enjoyable, and more user friendly (you know, like games should be).  It's not that people can't hover, it's more difficult than it needs to be.  Like I mentioned before, Casmo demonstrated this by becoming task saturated and almost crashing.  But I will mention other modules had simple things like hold channels at launch.

I prefer to hold developers accountable for such.  More DCS users should.  Otherwise, the cycle of "release half finished aircraft and get back to it in a year or two while we work on the next release of an incomplete aircraft" will continue ad nauseum.

It's called real life. I've had full hold modes on, gotten task saturated and found myself in situations where i'm like "uh oh". The helicopter isn't hard to hover. There are a LOT of internet folks running around doing just fine. This sounds like a decidedly you problem.

• Like 6

On 4/6/2022 at 6:15 AM, dburne said:

Well I wish ED would get on the stick with the Hover Hold implementation. I could sure use the assistance for my landings from hover lol.

Practice more!

On 4/6/2022 at 7:05 AM, agamemnon_b5 said:

The early access release has some mind boggling choices.  Lack of a hover hold and a functioning attitude hold, to start with.

Not to mention the robbie tank and gimping the amount of rounds we can carry.

Practice more!

3 hours ago, bradmick said:

It's called real life. I've had full hold modes on, gotten task saturated and found myself in situations where i'm like "uh oh". The helicopter isn't hard to hover. There are a LOT of internet folks running around doing just fine. This sounds like a decidedly you problem.

What he said!

Too many people complaining about a perfectly good early release. I'm more than happy with this EARLY ACCESS module. Come on people!!!

• Thanks 1

AMD Ryzen 9 5900 - AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT - 64GB 3200 - Win 11 - 2 TB SSD (game drive) - Quest 3.

48 minutes ago, ddc196 said:

Practice more!

Practice more!

What he said!

Too many people complaining about a perfectly good early release. I'm more than happy with this EARLY ACCESS module. Come on people!!!

Well I am flying it for several hours on most days as I learn so I would say I am enjoying it rather than complaining. If I was not happy I would not be flying period. So settle down a little would ya... perhaps you missed my little lol at the end of my post.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

On 4/16/2022 at 10:14 AM, agamemnon_b5 said:

Maybe you should give yourself a personal delay. Don’t fly the Apache till it has hold modes or whatever.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, dburne said:

Well I am flying it for several hours on most days as I learn so I would say I am enjoying it rather than complaining. If I was not happy I would not be flying period. So settle down a little would ya... perhaps you missed my little lol at the end of my post.

Copy that there dburne. And yes I did miss your "lol." And, practice more! 😄

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 9 5900 - AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT - 64GB 3200 - Win 11 - 2 TB SSD (game drive) - Quest 3.

On 4/16/2022 at 12:20 AM, Jester2138 said:

Detailed on page 63 of the DCS Apache manual...

image.png

Nothing on "auto hover" on page 63

Not sure why some seem so obsessed with this non existing function.

Altitude Hold is not the same as "auto hover". So better just learn how to keep her steady, instead of waiting for a function that does not exist

• Like 1

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

• ED Team
5 minutes ago, sirrah said:

Nothing on "auto hover" on page 63

Not sure why some seem so obsessed with this non existing function.

"Position Hold" is name of the hover hold function. What sub-mode (Position, Velocity, Attitude) is entered when the ATT button is pressed is based on the flight conditions that exist.  If less than 5 knots ground speed, Position Hold is entered when ATT is pressed on the cyclic. It's just not implemented yet.

Edited by Raptor9
  • Like 6

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

2 minutes ago, Raptor9 said:

"Position Hold" is name of the hover hold function. What sub-mode (Position, Velocity, Attitude) is entered when the ATT button is pressed is based on the flight conditions that exist.  If less than 5 knots ground speed, Position Hold is entered when ATT is pressed on the cyclic. It's just not implemented yet.

This is it! Thanks for the golden information. 🥰
(I'm sorry I missed if this was written before.)

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

29 minutes ago, Raptor9 said:

Ah ok, thanks for clarifying that @Raptor9 👍 

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

On 4/14/2022 at 10:16 AM, poochies said:

old habits hard to break LB2 / Microprose Gunship /EEAH/  Arma 3 apache mod .... I got spoiled on auto hover ! Sorry mods mentioned the unmentionables ....but I do respect the challenge of maintaining a hover and while I can do it, I find it very very hard to maintain altitude , next thing you know after targeting some tanks I'm up 500 more feet ! The collective is sensitive , theres a sweet spot of just nudging the collective the torque drops fast and so do I 

Heh... in LB2 and EECH I almost NEVER used Autohover. Point of Pride to be able to Hover the Helo manually.

The DCS AH-64D has totally wounded said PRIDE and I am ready for auto hover to come back.  🙂  MAYBE I will finally git gud at it BEFORE hover hold appears and I can once again hold my head (and the helo) up high!!