So PL-5 is just AIM-9M with white textures. Right?

DmitriKozlowsky

5 hours ago, DmitriKozlowsky said:

For purposes of DCS.

So PL-5 is just AIM-9M with white textures. Right?

PL-10 is either AIM-7MF or AIM-120B?

License-built AIM-9M actually.

And latter is the Chinese Next-Gen IR-Guided dogfight missile,not the copy of the utter both.😏

PL-5 is 2 kg lighter then AIM-9M, has 35G limit compared to 40. Wider seeker FOV. 11.5 kg warhead compared to 10 kg warhead for AIM-9M. 

Most important to DCS though, the AIM-9M has a low smoke motor, while PL-5 has much higher smoke motor.

So it’s not just changed texture, 3D model, performance, motor, warhead, seeker, is all different 

And IDK what you all are saying about PL-10. PL-10 is a short range thrust vectored HOBS missile, similar to AIM-9X in role and IRIS-T in configuration. I think you all are actually referring to SD-10, whose indeginous version is PL-12 

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

11小时前,KL0083说:

License-built AIM-9M actually.

Not actually. PL-5EII is improved PL-5E, and the latter is export version of PL-5C. PL-5C is finished in 1998 when obviously no license of AIM-9 could be given to China. 

In fact PL-5B(A is an unused SARH version) is based on the AIM-9D from Vietnam, which was taken off from a crashed crusader. That's even before the volume production of PL-2 based on K-13, but the development of PL-5B costed too much time, finished in 1986.

PL-5C is developed to provide a lighter choice than PL-8(Python 3) for light J-7. In fact the wing-tip mount on JF-17 block1/2 and JH-7 is for PL-5 only, for their pylon is originally based on sidewinder pylon of F-5. (China also got F-5A and F from Vietnam and ROCAF surrender.)

Back to PL-5EII, the canard shape of 5E is nearly same as 9L/M, maybe slightly different but I can't distinguish, but the stabilizer is surely tuned and slightly moved forward.  Besides, It doesn't have the same laser fuze window as 9L/M, indicating the fuze or even the interior design is different.

So PL-5 could be regarded as another branch of sidewinder developed in China, but they are never licensed from the very first and could hardly have got any official help from US (the shape could be roughly copied from wreckage, model or photos and fine tuned by the Chinese developers themselves).

• Like 1

Human allowed, demon allowed, Deka never allowed.

Distort allowed, provoke allowed, fight back never allowed.

5 hours ago, AeriaGloria said:

PL-5 is 2 kg lighter then AIM-9M, has 35G limit compared to 40. Wider seeker FOV. 11.5 kg warhead compared to 10 kg warhead for AIM-9M. 

Most important to DCS though, the AIM-9M has a low smoke motor, while PL-5 has much higher smoke motor.

So it’s not just changed texture, 3D model, performance, motor, warhead, seeker, is all different 

And IDK what you all are saying about PL-10. PL-10 is a short range thrust vectored HOBS missile, similar to AIM-9X in role and IRIS-T in configuration. I think you all are actually referring to SD-10, whose indeginous version is PL-12 

Yes, I was refering to SD-10

I was going off R-13M in MIG-21bis module. Looks and performs like AIM-9P. I thought that in DCS it is an AIM-9P with slightly altered textures. But PK is same depending on range and aspect, in DCS. SO I am thinking that from DCS POV, PL-5 is effectively AIM-9M. If I think that target is within 9M envelope, I figure it is in PL-5EII envelope.

7 hours ago, DmitriKozlowsky said:

Yes, I was refering to SD-10

I was going off R-13M in MIG-21bis module. Looks and performs like AIM-9P. I thought that in DCS it is an AIM-9P with slightly altered textures. But PK is same depending on range and aspect, in DCS. SO I am thinking that from DCS POV, PL-5 is effectively AIM-9M. If I think that target is within 9M envelope, I figure it is in PL-5EII envelope.

Pretty much. Just the 9M is the better sneak attack since it’s low smoke motor is way less visible then the high smoke PL-5. It appears the Chinese haven’t bothered at all with low smoke rocket fuel for anything🤣

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

18 hours ago, AeriaGloria said:

Pretty much. Just the 9M is the better sneak attack since it’s low smoke motor is way less visible then the high smoke PL-5. It appears the Chinese haven’t bothered at all with low smoke rocket fuel for anything🤣

Well the smoke trail is a double edged sword. Assuming a WVR daylight, offensive pilot can see if his heater is tracking target. Aiding in a snap decision to break off and search for threats and targets, or to continue the fight. I think its an intentional design feature.