Altitude mission

Kh4

I seem to be having trouble with this one - my left engine keeps failing at about the same place in the mountains before I reach the FARP. I have tried low altitude approach and high altitude approach. I monitor EGT and turbine RPM. I use rotor and engine de-icing when necessary. Occasionally I might get a VNE warning but that's about it. There doesn't seem to be any failures scripted in the mission.

Can anyone shed some light I what I may be doing incorrectly? It's a mystery to me :joystick:

TIA

I seem to be having trouble with this one - my left engine keeps failing at about the same place in the mountains before I reach the FARP. I have tried low altitude approach and high altitude approach. I monitor EGT and turbine RPM. I use rotor and engine de-icing when necessary. Occasionally I might get a VNE warning but that's about it. There doesn't seem to be any failures scripted in the mission.

Are you careful not to overrev the engines for too long (the yellow lights on the overhead display)? Are you popping flares all the way? When the egt display starts to rise without you demanding more power, switch on the anti ice regardless of ekran. Just some thoughts.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

I managed to fly all the way to LZ, but you have to let go of mil-17s, and stay behind, do nat pass 200 km/h, and dont let the yellow lamp go on - warning you about rpm. That is the reason you engine shuts down...Just fly in normal allowed parameters, and your engines will keep working

Thanks for your interest guys. Finally conquered it! It seems the turbine RPM is quite critical. The manual states take-off as 97% and max continuous as 92%. That 5% makes all the difference!

:pilotfly:

All aircraft have a certain speed at which they can maintain their best rate of climb. I don't know what it is in the Ka-50, but I suspect it's between 100 and 130 kph. Best thing to do is take your time, don't go too fast, and just keep on climbin'! Oh, and turn on your rotor and engine anti-ice systems.

• 4 months later...
.... There doesn't seem to be any failures scripted in the mission.

Can anyone shed some light I what I may be doing incorrectly? It's a mystery to me :joystick:

TIA

my right engine cought fire on take off once with out any failures scripted....

Note to ED: have a MAYDAY in the comms menu.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

my right engine cought fire on take off once with out any failures scripted....

Note to ED: have a MAYDAY in the comms menu.

That's something I wish more simulators did.

As an air traffic controller, I think they demand the best out of the pilots and controllers. They need to be represented in order to complete the immersion. For instance, MS FSX has a pretty complex ATC system, but zero attention paid to emergencies. It's disappointing.

I worked a (real) F/A-18 Hornet in the other day with a hydraulic system issue. That guy was cool as a cucumber. I had a feeling that his plane could have been a ball of fire all around him and his voice quality would have remained exactly the same. Our rules require three questions to be answered: who are you, what's wrong, and what do you want to do? Once you get those settled, you can provide a service for them. Afterwards, time and pilot nervousness permitting, you can get more from them, such as souls on board, fuel remaining (both very useful for fire response teams), and any other relevant info.

From an AI/sim standpoint, that could be simplified in a single command: F6 -> Declaring Emergency. Once you do that, AI aircraft would clear the runway. Maybe roll some crash trucks with flashing lights to take position along the taxiways. That's about it. Nothing too complicated, but it would be very cool to experience.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I had a similar issue with this mission and couldn't work out why I was suffering an engine failure halfway through the mission.

I finally realised I wasn't correctly turning on the engine de-ice system, but instead was only selecting the dust protection. This is a three way switch and once I realised this stupid mistake I was fine!

From an AI/sim standpoint, that could be simplified in a single command: F6 -> Declaring Emergency. Once you do that, AI aircraft would clear the runway. Maybe roll some crash trucks with flashing lights to take position along the taxiways. That's about it. Nothing too complicated, but it would be very cool to experience.

I agree that would be cool. I've always thought about that especially since I working hung bomb / gun issues sometimes. I can tell you this though from a maintainers viewpoint. When things turn real, and its not just another sortie day pilots stop breaking the jets and squak code one often.

Working in that kind of coding means that the mission would have to recognise that you had a system failure that wasn't your fault. Otherwise say you had an emergency half way to the target and had to drop out of the attack group. Squak IFE get the light show and then land. Exit mission and..."Mission Fail" because you didn't destroy the targets. Now what?

"It's amazing, even at the Formula 1 level how many drivers still think the brakes are for slowing the car down."

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group 1 | Discord

All depends Scrape. If the mission is coded like the Georgian Oil War campaign it's no issue, since it does not judge you alone. It scores the entire battle happening on the entire map.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I think Falcon 4: Allied Force's implementation is pretty good. You (and the AI) can report an emergency and you get priority landing clearance - no need to fly the pattern, and the ATC directs other aircraft that might interfere with your landing into a holding pattern. I think it also hurts your career progression if you declare an emergency when there's nothing wrong with your plane. I remember coming back from a mission slightly low on fuel, and upon arriving at the airfield I find another 6 planes already in the pattern. So I stick it out and it's looking good, then one of my wingmen decides to declare an emergency because he's a bit low. Everyone gets sent off to "the stack" and I'm wondering if I'm going to have enough fuel to land in order or not. That was pretty cool. Unfortunately the AI flaws shone through: since he'd declared an emergency, my wingy made his way to the alternate airstrip... 100 miles away. (He didn't make it.) Caused a bit of chaos in the landing pattern for a while, but eventually the ATC decided to start landing planes again.

I don't think implementing this kind of thing would be entirely difficult in BS - it can certainly determine post-mission whether you had a problem or not. However, neither sim has random failures occuring - so any fault that occurs is technically caused by pilot error. BS does let the mission designer add random faults, so I guess a campaign where there's always a small chance of faults could work pretty well. Even better if the chance of faults is increased depending on how the campaign is progressing - i.e. if your side is overworked and flying too many sorties the maintenance level will fall. That'd be mighty hard to implement with the curent campaign engine though.

It does seem like it'd need to be an optional thing though, because as realistic as having things randomly not work may be, if you're spending your precious hour or two of free time in a sim only to find out you can't complete the mission and you have to turn and go home, a lot of people would be very bitterly disappointed. Others would love it, of course. :thumbup: