The "ELEC SYS" warning panel issue

Frag
Go to solution Solved by Frag,

Hi guys,

since the last BETA (of last week) the ELEC SYS warning light always stays on after I do my cold  start procedure. The F-16 does not seem to be affected but I still did not find a way to shut this warning down.

I start the engine with no external power (Just the BATT ON switch).

I did a lot of search and I saw that it was a common issue in 2020, but all the threads are quite old and did not provide me fixes. Could someone gives me pointers please? I know that I am missing something.

Press the caution reset button on the ELEC panel just aft of the MAIN PWR switch, and ensure that switch is set to MAIN PWR, not BATT.

Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

If still getting ELEC SYS, also test the FLCS. Toggle switch back left where other system tests located.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

• Solution
On 4/6/2022 at 2:36 PM, Tholozor said:

Press the caution reset button on the ELEC panel just aft of the MAIN PWR switch, and ensure that switch is set to MAIN PWR, not BATT.

I usually set the power switch to BAT while the engine is starting. When the engine is at 65% and idling, then I switch to MAIN PWR. Are you saying to set it directly to MAIN PWR and never use BAT?

29 minutes ago, Frag said:

I usually set the power switch to BAT while the engine is starting. When the engine is at 65% and idling, then I switch to MAIN PWR. Are you saying to set it directly to MAIN PWR and never use BAT?

Yes, when starting you should put it in Main Power 

Planes:                                      Choppers:                                       Maps:

• Flaming Cliffs 3                      Black Shark 2                                 Syria
  • A-10C Tank killer 2                Black Shark 3                                 Persian Gulf
  • F/A18C Hornet                       AH-64 Apache                               Mariana's
  • F-16C Viper   
  • F-15E Strike Eagle                   
  • Mirage 2000C
  • AJS-37 Viggen
  • JF-17 Thunder
  • F-14 Tomcat

49 minutes ago, Frag said:

Yes, there is no need to put in BAT. You can set it directly to MAIN PWR and the generator kicks in once the engine spooled up.

But I don't really see any reason, why the ELEC SYS warning would stay on if you select MAIN PWR at a later stage :dunno:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

The caution persists until reset. It's a sort of electrical system master caution. It does auto reset sometimes.

It's possible to start under BATT but normally it's under MAIN PWR. BATT is used to test the FLCS latching feature (that it doesn't) before start.

28 minutes ago, Dragon1-1 said:

The proper procedure is to start in MAIN PWR. Starting in BATT isn't recommended, though I don't know if it actually does anything bad IRL.

I remember seeing that BAT procedure on the cold start tutorial. God knows which one. But I am alright setting it to MAIN PWR directly instead. I guess it will take care of my issue. Will test it up later on tonight.

If you accidentally started in BATT instead of MAIN PWR, go to MAIN PWR. The MAIN GEN light should go out after a few seconds and you'll still see FLCS RLY illuminated. Go to the TEST panel and select FLCS PWR - TEST, the FLCS RLY light should go out. Let go of the FLCS PWR - TEST switch so that it resets to NORM, and the ELEC SYS light should go out.

What you should do during startup is:
MAIN PWR switch - Select BATT
FLCS PWR - TEST switch - Select and hold TEST
Check the FLCS PWR A/B/C/D light (should illuminate A/B/C/D)
Check the ELEC - ACFT BATT - CHECK light (should illuminate TO FLCS)
Check the ELEC - CHECK light (should illuminate FLCS PMG)
FLCS PWR - TEST switch - Release (return to NORM)
MAIN PWR switch - Select MAIN PWR

This is all done with the engines still off. The engines are started with the MAIN PWR setting.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 4/8/2022 at 6:48 PM, Frag said:

I remember seeing that BAT procedure on the cold start tutorial. God knows which one. But I am alright setting it to MAIN PWR directly instead. I guess it will take care of my issue. Will test it up later on tonight.

It was Spudknockers cold start tutorial and as others have already mentioned, it is completely incorrect. BATT is only used for pre-engine tests. Engine is always started with MAIN PWR.

As general advice, youtube videos are more fun to watch and perhaps easier to follow, but manuals are more accurate and more in depth. So don't rely solely on youtube. 😊

• Like 2

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

On 4/14/2022 at 8:04 PM, Aquorys said:

If you accidentally started in BATT instead of MAIN PWR, go to MAIN PWR. The MAIN GEN light should go out after a few seconds and you'll still see FLCS RLY illuminated. Go to the TEST panel and select FLCS PWR - TEST, the FLCS RLY light should go out. Let go of the FLCS PWR - TEST switch so that it resets to NORM, and the ELEC SYS light should go out.

What you should do during startup is:
MAIN PWR switch - Select BATT
FLCS PWR - TEST switch - Select and hold TEST
Check the FLCS PWR A/B/C/D light (should illuminate A/B/C/D)
Check the ELEC - ACFT BATT - CHECK light (should illuminate TO FLCS)
Check the ELEC - CHECK light (should illuminate FLCS PMG)
FLCS PWR - TEST switch - Release (return to NORM)
MAIN PWR switch - Select MAIN PWR

This is all done with the engines still off. The engines are started with the MAIN PWR setting.

On 4/14/2022 at 8:42 PM, WHOGX5 said:

It was Spudknockers cold start tutorial and as others have already mentioned, it is completely incorrect. BATT is only used for pre-engine tests. Engine is always started with MAIN PWR.

As general advice, youtube videos are more fun to watch and perhaps easier to follow, but manuals are more accurate and more in depth. So don't rely solely on youtube. 😊

Indeed after using MAIN PWR to start the engine instead, that issue went away. I guess a recent fix from ED changed this since I always did start the engine the old way (with BATT) and I just started to get that warning light recently.

Never the less, everything is fine now. Thanks for the help guys.