Problem: Firing Hellfires from back seat only using overhead JTAC

stoop

I'm missing something because when I pull the trigger nothing happens.  I don't want to involve George at all. I am in the back seat.  There is an overhead JTAC drone continuously lasing (Stoneburner server).

I am armed, WAS is set to Hellfire and in the weapons page I have acquisition set to Seeker, and Mode is Hi. Laser code in channel A which is the universal default of 1688 which the drone is using.

I fly within range of the missiles, can see the target area up ahead and pull the trigger and nothing happens. Do I need to tell it yo look for the laser before launching? I though the Hi mode was LOAL, do I have to set that somewhere too?

I am pretty sure ONLY the gunner can fire the Hellfires.   I was wrong and corrected later in the thread. Thanks.

The ACQ source doesn't have to be set to SEEKER. I think CASMO explained this as the "poor man's Laser Spot Tracker" as it just allows you to slave the TADS to wherever the Seeker is looking so you can see a laser spot.  For LOAL, any ACQ source that allows you to get the aircraft lined up with the Target (and give you a range indication to know when to fire will work)

Does make you wonder why the pilot can WAS them from the Cyclic, though...

IF the backseater can fire a Hellfire (don't think so, at least at this time) make sure the Trigger Guard is open.

Edited by Recluse

6 hours ago, stoop said:

I'm missing something because when I pull the trigger nothing happens.  I don't want to involve George at all. I am in the back seat.  There is an overhead JTAC drone continuously lasing (Stoneburner server).

I am armed, WAS is set to Hellfire and in the weapons page I have acquisition set to Seeker, and Mode is Hi. Laser code in channel A which is the universal default of 1688 which the drone is using.

I fly within range of the missiles, can see the target area up ahead and pull the trigger and nothing happens. Do I need to tell it yo look for the laser before launching? I though the Hi mode was LOAL, do I have to set that somewhere too?

Did you check the trigger safety?

If you are firing LOAL shot you need to set ACQ to waypoint/targetpoint. Are you sure that drone is actually lasing? If you can see your target and there is correct laser, missile will switch to LOBL/DIR shot regardless of what you have set. 

consent TO FIRE possible or trigger guard .

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

13 hours ago, Recluse said:

I am pretty sure ONLY the gunner can fire the Hellfires.

Apparently not. George was refusing to fire for me yesterday, despite havin the target squarely in his crosshairs and laser firing. After 5 failed CTF commands I WAS'd the missiles myself and was able to fire and hit. I don't know if this is accurate, but it works at present.

• ED Team

its difficult to tell what is going on without a track replay, if anyone is able to reproduce in a short as possible track please attach it. 

I have not had any problems personally, but I am watching for it

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

13 hours ago, stoop said:

You need to have an ACQ on the target (waypoint/target point). In HI and LO mode the hellfire will fly towards the ACQ.
Also make sure your trigger guard is open.

13 hours ago, Recluse said:

I am pretty sure ONLY the gunner can fire the Hellfires.

This is wrong. Both crewmembers can fire all weapons.

4 hours ago, admiki said:

Are you sure that drone is actually lasing?

That has no impact on the launch restriction of the Hellfire. You should be able to laucnh it with or without a laser being present.

4 hours ago, admiki said:

If you can see your target and there is correct laser, missile will switch to LOBL/DIR shot regardless of what you have set. 

If the missile can see the target before launch it will switch to LOBL, but not to DIR.

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I’ve had no problems firing the missiles in LO / HI from the pilots seat, with an appropriate ACQ source set of course. Relying on AI JTAC for remote lasing. 

This is almost certainly a trigger guard issue.

(Missiles fire straight ahead, not towards ACQ source. ACQ just tells you, via constraints box, which way to point the aircraft.) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AvroLanc said:

(Missiles fire straight ahead, not towards ACQ source. ACQ just tells you, via constraints box, which way to point the aircraft.) 

Interesting, but why the need for an appropriate ACQ source then if the missile just flys straight ahead anyways?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

18 minutes ago, QuiGon said:

Interesting, but why the need for an appropriate ACQ source then if the missile just flys straight ahead anyways?

Just to get  you pointed in the right direction  and knowing the range so the missile seeker has a chance of picking up the laser and the missile can reach.

2 hours ago, frostycab said:

Apparently not. George was refusing to fire for me yesterday, despite havin the target squarely in his crosshairs and laser firing. After 5 failed CTF commands I WAS'd the missiles myself and was able to fire and hit. I don't know if this is accurate, but it works at present.

Ahhh sweet.. I have to try this.. Didn't know you could WAS the missiles and George would keep lasing.

21 minutes ago, QuiGon said:

If you have no ACQ set, then the aircraft will not be able to tell you if you are within launch constraints for the missile. It may well come off the rail and fly straight ahead, but the ACQ gives you a reference point so you can tell if the missile even has a chance of going where you want it to.

...I think.

4 minutes ago, Recluse said:

Ahhh sweet.. I have to try this.. Didn't know you could WAS the missiles and George would keep lasing.

Logically speaking, why else would you be able to WAS the missiles from the back seat if you're unable to fire them? 😛 It appears that (at least when he is set to Hellfire mode) George will continuously lase any target that you've commanded him to track, as can be seen by the large "X" superimposed on the crosshairs of the TADS video if you put it on one of the PLT MFDs, so feel free to WAS and fire them yourself if you get the right indications from your weapon page.

40 minutes ago, frostycab said:

Logically speaking, why else would you be able to WAS the missiles from the back seat if you're unable to fire them? 😛

Yeah.. this was the question I asked above when I thought you couldn't fire from the Backseat.  I looked through the manual and ALL the references to firing were from the CPG seat. LOL.. that will teach me to RTFM!!!  😛

Edited by Recluse