Is the Hornet Currently Too Fast?

Being that the Hornet is one of my favorite aircrafts in DCS, it pains me to post this but as someone who desires realism over fun, I figure it has to be done.

With that out of the way, I posted a similar topic several months ago questioning whether or not the pylon drag on the Hornet was too low. I was told by @BIGNEWY that the pylon drag was "fixed" back in August. Though it was "fixed" I am skeptical as to whether or not it is correct along with the overall drag in general. 

This time around, I have attached two tracks, one where I accelerate with full afterburner for three minutes from Mach 0.8 to around Mach 1.45 at 30,000ft under standard conditions and the other where I descend down from 45000ft to 30000ft in full afterburner (this is a little move I like to use to get the Hornet up to high speeds while conserving fuel in A2A scenarios). In each case, the outer pylons were removed and I was carrying 6 AMRAAMS (2 on each inner pylon and 2 on the belly), 2 sidewinders on the wingtips, and a pylon for the center fuel tank. In each case, its surprising how fast the Hornet gets seeing as how bulky those LAU-127's with AMRAAMS seem. (Perhaps the drag on the LAU-127 is incorrect?)

Anyway, it would be nice if all of this was correct but I can't help but feel that it is a bit too optimistic. 

Is_The_Hornet_Too_Fast_1.trk Is_The_Hornet_Too_Fast_2.trk

Edited by DCS FIGHTER PILOT

The Hornet feels fine, at least in AB. It's slow. Slower than all the other teen series fighters.

• Thanks 1

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

If anything, 27 seconds is actually slower than 21, but it's remarkably close, and in a real aircraft it'd likely vary depending on how well the engine felt like running on a given day. It's only slow by the standards of Viper and the F-15, or in sense that it wants to get slow in a dogfight so it can do its high alpha magic.

• Like 1

Nope. Relatively recently the high-end performance velocities and Vne were fixed. I was able to get a clean jet into a dive and hit mach 2.03 at the correct altitude. So it seems for power and drag they've nailed it on the max performance end. (compared against IRL charts)  Mach 1.8 is longer a brick wall.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2022 at 7:05 PM, DCS FIGHTER PILOT said:

I accelerate with full afterburner for three minutes from Mach 0.8 to around Mach 1.45 at 30,000ft

The real -402 EPE'd C model will go from M 0.8 to M 1.6 in 2 minutes and 12 seconds at 35K with 2-AMRAAMs and 2-9Ms... so that extra 45-48 seconds to a slower M1.45 with the 4 extra wing-120s seems pretty close to real world, I suppose?

Edited by wilbur81

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display