Apache Display Export Guide

Bunny Clark

7 hours ago, 16th Widowmakr said:

What folder does the LUA script go in?

Which lua?

The monitor config goes in \Saved Games\DCS(openbeta)\Config\MonitorSetup\ You then need to select it in Opions.

The edited display export luas in my zip file go in your DCS install directory in the \Mods\aircraft\ folder.

I installed the zip file in the MODS\Aircraft\ floder. I installed the monitorsetup lua in the saved games\config\monitorsetup folder but I still get nothing on the second monitpr. I copied the lua script and changed the names of the mfd's to AH64_PLT_LEFT_MFCD and AH64_PLT_RIGHT_MFCD, left all the coordinates the same as another file I use for the F16, F18, and A10 which works fine and renamed it and put it in the saved games folder. I attached a copy of mu lua script.

Apache.lua

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor 3.4 GHz

32 Gb RAM, Nvidea GTX 1050 TI

Water Cooled, Windows 10 64 bit

3 hours ago, 16th Widowmakr said:

Yes. I saw something about CPG screens overwriting the PLT ones? Do I need to address that?

No, the monitor config file you posted only includes the two pilot MFDs, so you should not have any issues with that.

3 hours ago, Bunny Clark said:

No, the monitor config file you posted only includes the two pilot MFDs, so you should not have any issues with that.

But I still don't see either mfd on the second monitor.

3 hours ago, Bunny Clark said:

Do you have display exporting working with any other modules?

Yes works fine wit F16, F18 and A10C so far that is all I have tested other than the Apache

Just looked at the posted Lua and it is for a single monitor not a second monitor.  The exports look to be set to appear on the bottom, offset L&R from the center on the main display.

Unless I'm misreading it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

1 hour ago, Sarge55 said:

Just looked at the posted Lua and it is for a single monitor not a second monitor.  The exports look to be set to appear on the bottom, offset L&R from the center on the main display.

Unless I'm misreading it.

The title says one but it is for two monitors. The second is below the main. Other aircraft work fine with the same LUA but the names of the MFD's are different I see the cursor on the second monitor but no MFD's. Or if they are there they are just black like in the Alt F1 view in the game when you just see the back of george's head. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Only other thing I can think of is have you set the resolution in options to the full size of both monitors?

I run two monitors (set side by side resolution wise) so my in games options resolution is 4620x1080.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

@16th Widowmakr To confirm, if you open \Mods\aircraft\AH-64D\Cockpit\Scripts\Displays\MFD\indicator\MFD_plt_right_init.lua do you see the following at the bottom:

try_find_assigned_viewport("AH64_PLT_RIGHT_MFCD")

6 hours ago, Bunny Clark said:

@16th Widowmakr To confirm, if you open \Mods\aircraft\AH-64D\Cockpit\Scripts\Displays\MFD\indicator\MFD_plt_right_init.lua do you see the following at the bottom:

try_find_assigned_viewport("AH64_PLT_RIGHT_MFCD")

try_find_assigned_viewport("RIGHT_MFCD")

here is what it says

1 hour ago, 16th Widowmakr said:

Re-installed the zip files and it works now!

Perfect, looks like something made it change back to the default viewport names.

This will happen every time DCS updates. You'll need to either manually copy the files back (the Updater will move them to a backup folder in your install directory), or use a mod manager. 

The post you want for the George AI window is here, if you haven't found it already: 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2022 at 7:31 AM, Bunny Clark said:

Apache Problems

Now for two problems that frequently cause people to get hung up with the Apache:

If two viewports are defined to the same area, one will overwrite the other. This is true for most modules in DCS, but in the Apache all screens from both seats (except the TEDAC) are being exported all the time. This means if you define the Pilot Left MFD and CPG Left MFD in the same place, DCS will draw the CPG MFD on top and you'll never see the Pilot MFD, regardless of what seat you're in.

The Apache display exports are also currently bugged and the Pilot's and CPG's left and right MFDs will always export to the LEFT_MFCD and RIGHT_MFCD viewports. If they've been assigned a new viewport in their init.lua files, they will export to both the custom viewport and the default one. This means if you have the LEFT_MFCD or RIGHT_MFCD viewports defined in your monitor config file, the Apache MFDs will show up there, no matter what. The only solution to this is to delete or comment out the LEFT_MFCD and RIGHT_MFCD viewports from your monitor config file. This will break every other module that is using those viewports.

Hopefully ED fixes these two issues, though neither have been acknowledged yet.

I run into this issue aswell. It keeps showing the CPG screen when i'm flying as a pilot. I really hope ED can change it so, when you switch seats, the screens will switch to from pilot to CPG and vise versa

Plz ED, this is very annoying 

• Like 2

Planes:                                      Choppers:                                       Maps:

• Flaming Cliffs 3                      Black Shark 2                                 Syria
  • A-10C Tank killer 2                Black Shark 3                                 Persian Gulf
  • F/A18C Hornet                       AH-64 Apache                               Mariana's
  • F-16C Viper   
  • F-15E Strike Eagle                   
  • Mirage 2000C
  • AJS-37 Viggen
  • JF-17 Thunder
  • F-14 Tomcat

I just got 2 Cubesim LCD screens for my Thrustmaster MFD's. I've read throught this thread, but my problems seems a bit different. When I load into the Apache, my two cubesim sreens show CP/G screens-then go blank. When I which seat from pilot to gunner they come back on (correct) and show the gunner's screens and work fine. SOOOOO, my question is HOW to get the cubesim screens to recognize when I move to the pilot's seat and display the pilots MFDs?

Thanks In Advance!

That is strange.  Are they still visible on the in game MFD's?  Try running a repair and see if that fixes it first.  Perhaps your CPG.lua is mucked up.

Otherwise, if you want to fly you may have to create a PLT.lua, unfortunately that would not allow you to swap seats in game as you would end up with the pilot displays in the front seat.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 7/1/2022 at 7:37 AM, Bell Driver said:

SOOOOO, my question is HOW to get the cubesim screens to recognize when I move to the pilot's seat and display the pilots MFDs?

At the moment, it's not possible for DCS to switch which screens are displayed for you based on which seat you are in. Unfortunately, you need to pick if you want to display the Pilot or CPG screens.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Bunny clark, got the mfd's exporting to the external mfd's but i have 1 nagging issue i can't even think where to being to look - , where or what is coursing my George menu to not show (i can't even see it on the mfd's in case it got moved there by accedent)

Found a post you've already commented on, sorry thought it was a me issue not a known one, i'm just trying to work it out atm

Edited by PhoenixBondi

7 hours ago, PhoenixBondi said:

where or what is coursing my George menu to not show 

Yup, that's caused by changing DCS's resolution. 

Asto's PrestonAI_page_common.lua fix worked for me, but it'll depend a lot on how you have your monitors arranged. 

well i managed to get it all sorted, Thank you so much - NOW for the joys of short term memory issue, when the next patch snuffs this, i'll have no clue and have to investigate all over again lol!!!

my map on the lower mfd dose need moving to the right "EVER" so slightly, but i'll play around with that another time

Screen_220717_180641.png

2 hours ago, PhoenixBondi said:

when the next patch snuffs this, i'll have no clue and have to investigate all over again lol!!!

When everything you've done gets "corrected" by the patch, all the files you've modified are just placed in a folder inside your DCS install folder where you can simply copy them back again (at least on standalone, I'm not sure if Steam works the same way). Or you can use a mod manager to do it all for you.

• 2 weeks later...

@Bunny Clark - many thanks for your very simplistic easy to understand guidance - very much appreciated!

At the risk of getting lambasted by Osram (haha 🍻) in case there are other similar posts, just fired up DCS after a few weeks (months) away, my normal .lua file setting is set for A10c with the MFD exports being to my secondary 11" display with cougar surrounds.   

I did run a single 27" screen with the 11" display, but have now upgraded to 2 x 27" plus the 11" for the MFD. Kept the same  .lua in place - only changed purely to take into account the additional screen now placed in between the 1st 27" screen and the 3rd 11" screen by adding to the values where required.

On 7/2/2022 at 11:35 PM, Bunny Clark said:

At the moment, it's not possible for DCS to switch which screens are displayed for you based on which seat you are in. Unfortunately, you need to pick if you want to display the Pilot or CPG screens.

From what I can recall - there were issues with the MPD displays - in that one would overwrite the other. With that said, went into an AH64 mission today - pilots position - and MPDs working as advertised - then swapped forward - also working and displays swapping dependent on what is selected at each position.

Cannot recall seeing any indication in the update files that this was now fixed - but either way - happy days. Is everyone else getting this?

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X; ASUS ROG Strix X570-F, Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (2x 32GB) 3600MHz; Seagate FireCuda 510 500GB M.2-2280 (OS); Samsung 860 EVO 2TB M.2-2280 (DCS); MSI GeForce RTX 3090 SUPRIM X 24GB OC GPU. TM Warthog Hotas; T.Flight Pedals; DelanClip/Trackhat.