Confused over TMS Aft long

stolzy
Go to solution Solved by Yurgon,

I keep reading that TMS Aft Long resets the SPI to the current steerpoint, but it doesn't seem to.

So, I'm loaded with four GBU-31 (though it seems to be the same for all bombs)and have four waypoints ready to receive delivery.  I have HUD as SOI and it reports STPT as current SPI.  When I try to CCRP the HUD always reports 'CCRP INVALID'

On the TADS I can see the four waypoints and the SPI appears to be set on the first (WP1)

TMP FWD Long changes the SPI to the TDC and TMS FWD short changes it back to the WP.

What I'd like to be able to do is to bomb WP1, change the steerpoint to WP2 and bomb that etc.  Doesn't seem like it should be so hard

I presume I'm doing something wrong.

Welcome to the forum!

4 hours ago, stolzy said:

When I try to CCRP the HUD always reports 'CCRP INVALID'

This is typically the case when the aircraft is flying too low for a good CCRP drop. What's your height above the target in that situation? For JDAMs, I'd recommend a minimum of 6,000 ft AGL, preferably 10,000 ft or more.

4 hours ago, stolzy said:

What I'd like to be able to do is to bomb WP1, change the steerpoint to WP2 and bomb that etc.  Doesn't seem like it should be so hard

From your description, everything sounds like it's set up correctly.

Provided that all parameters are met, all you'd need to do is set WP1 as steerpoint, double check SPI is STPT, HUD is SOI, and when in range pickle the bomb, DMS Forward Short to switch to WP2, pickle, DMS Forward Short to WP3, pickle, DMS Forward Short to WP4, pickle, and then do BDA and confirm successful strikes.

Can you upload a track of your attempt for us, so that we can look over your shoulder? Fly a mission that shows the problem (the shorter, the better), quit, hit "Save Track" and upload that .trk file, either directly to the forum (max 5 MB) or to Google Drive, One Drive or whatever you have available and just post the link here.

• Like 1

• Solution

Excellent, thanks!

Your altitude was 22,000 feet below your waypoint. Due to gravity constraints, CCRP can't help you there. 😄

Set your waypoint elevation to 0 feet AGL via the Mission Editor or via the CDU, and you'll get a valid CCRP ASL, PBIL and all the other symbology. 👍

Edited by Yurgon
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Yurgon said:

Excellent, thanks!

Your altitude was 22,000 feet below your waypoint. Due to gravity constraints, CCRP can't help you there. 😄

Set your waypoint elevation to 0 feet AGL via the Mission Editor or via the CDU, and you'll get a valid CCRP ASL, PBIL and all the other symbology. 👍

So obvious when it's pointed out.  You can't bomb upwards I get that🤣

Thanks for taking the time to help out.

• Like 2