Has anyone taken the springs out of the CH rudder/pedals?

sobe

I am flying helicopters and would like to take the springs out of the rudder system so the rudder pedals stay in place when I move them.  Has anyone done this and if so, how was it?

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

It's easy remove the springs,* but without a kind of friction or damper you have hard time for pedals remain last position. 

* Although this means remove more screws, if start be remove pedals pads, and then remove the upper part of the case, the steel rollers of the pedal sliding mechanism will not fall apart.

sokol1_br

Since you indicated that even without the springs, the pedals will not remain stationary, I think I will not remove the springs (at least for now). 

Could you please explain by what you meant by:  "* Although this means remove more screws, if start be remove pedals pads, and then remove the upper part of the case, the steel rollers of the pedal sliding mechanism will not fall apart. "

See attached pic. springs.png

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

Happens that the point where springs are anchored - left side of picture is short, and when removing the bottom cover the springs may jump messing the internal arrangement. 🙂 

Anyway with this YT video tutorial you will don't have issues for put all back.

For fill you objective, is need remove the springs and this two brackets that link the springs to the moving bar, they are in two parts, bolted.

May some felt disks under the moving bar create the necessary friction.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I had replaced them 5 years ago for 2 strong rubber bands and a couple of plastic ties. Also I did the same trick like in the T-16000 throttle: I covered the rails and the wheels on both "pedals charriots" with plastic masking tape. I smeared them with special silicon grease for electronic components and I've been enjoying them all this past time and I will enjoy them for a long time. Rubber bands have enough hardeness to return pedals charriots to the neutral position but enough smoothness to not work against your legs, so I've gained 200% in accuracy and comfort (now I can push and mantain the legs in a sustained position) while before I fought against springs, and in this product it means a huge difference and only for a couple of working hours and less than 5 dollars in materials. For knowing if you have done a good work on them you should test them flying any Helicopter module (they need a lot of accuracy in the yaw axis). Then you should know if it was worth all the effort.

A simple Human being's Passion

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]