LOBL and LOAL

v2tec

I guess I know what is meant by the difference between lobl and loal, however, I can not get it to work - or maybe there's just no difference in the process.

As soon as I release the laser button (right hand), it stops lasering. I can press it again or store the target, but as soon as I release the button the laser stops.

So do I have to press the laser button the whole time, from firing till the hellfire hit the target - where is the difference then between lobl und loal?

I would like to laser (activate the laser) only once, fire the weapon and wait till it hits the target (deactivate the laser manually is fine for me).

________________________ ________ ______ ___ __ _

Win10 64 Pro, i7-6800K 3.4Ghz, 32 GB (DDR4), Asus Aorus 1080 TI WF, TrackIR 5 / RIFT, Thrustmaster Warthog, Fanatec Pedals, 55" oled 4k TV, Modules:A10C, KA-50, Huey, AV-8B, FA-18, F-16, NTTR, Persian Gulf

_ __ ___ ____ _____ ______ _______ ____________

No, you have to fire the laser the whole time. It's the same in any other module, the difference being the Hornet or A-10C have systems which 'latch' the laser on, so you don't have to manually press it. Here, you do have to keep it held.

Casmo did a good video on LOAL the other day.

Edited by LooseSeal
Added video.

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

1 hour ago, v2tec said:

I guess I know what is meant by the difference between lobl and loal, however, I can not get it to work - or maybe there's just no difference in the process.

As soon as I release the laser button (right hand), it stops lasering. I can press it again or store the target, but as soon as I release the button the laser stops.

So do I have to press the laser button the whole time, from firing till the hellfire hit the target - where is the difference then between lobl und loal?

I would like to laser (activate the laser) only once, fire the weapon and wait till it hits the target (deactivate the laser manually is fine for me).

Yes, you do have to fire the laser all the time. TBH, I think LOAL should be used by remote lasing. DCS does not have targets that will get warned by your laser (yet), so if you can see the target, there is not need to go for LOAL.

If you are doing LOAL and masking behind a cover, you can't be firing the laser all the time, missile will pick laser reflection off your cover and just go for it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, admiki said:

If you are doing LOAL and masking behind a cover, you can't be firing the laser all the time, missile will pick laser reflection off your cover and just go for it.

LOAL HI and LO can be used from behind cover even when using autonomous (self) lasing….you just need to get good at boping/poping up to unmask at the correct time.

You can do an initial unmask to observe and store targets. Remask and prepare the shot, actually shoot in LO/HI from behind cover and then use the TOF counter to command your pilot to bop up to resight the target with at least 8-10 seconds of lase time. Works best at 5-8km. Challenging and fun. 
Obviously used when in high threat area, when you can’t sit there for 30-40 seconds in direct LOS the whole time. 

Edited by AvroLanc

I use speedbrake forward latched button on my warthog throttle for lasing so I don't have to hold any button myself. If you have some latched button on joy or throttle I suggest using it, makes your life much easier 😄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

good idea - didn't found a useful function for this button so far... 😉

________________________ ________ ______ ___ __ _

Win10 64 Pro, i7-6800K 3.4Ghz, 32 GB (DDR4), Asus Aorus 1080 TI WF, TrackIR 5 / RIFT, Thrustmaster Warthog, Fanatec Pedals, 55" oled 4k TV, Modules:A10C, KA-50, Huey, AV-8B, FA-18, F-16, NTTR, Persian Gulf

_ __ ___ ____ _____ ______ _______ ____________