Realistic headmovment

Skyracer

I heard from different fighter pilot documentaries that during high loads (7g+). It is impossible to move your head around. Is there any plan to implement something similar to the game?

• Like 4

MY SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel pentium 3 @ 800 MHz, 256 Mb RAM, Geforce 2 64Mb, Dell screen 1024x768 + Microsoft sidewhiner joystick + TrackIR 2 + TrackClitPro SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 98, Noice Attack & VIASAT PRO, SnackView

You could just not move your head.

• Thanks 2

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

This sounds like an obvious improvement but when you look at it, it's difficult to do. In real life your head movement is restrained by your physical body and is something you adjust to over a life time. In VR this is not the case and adding limits could feel completely unrealistic.

DCS does have view limits if you use a hat switch to look around, and even in this case it causes more problems them realism. Before the view limits were added it was easy to move your view from one shoulder to the other. However with the view limits added the game forces you to slowly pan in the opposite direction to view over the opposite shoulder. It's awkward, feels silly, and is slower than it would be in real life.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

On 4/7/2022 at 11:06 AM, Skyracer said:

I heard from different fighter pilot documentaries that during high loads (7g+). It is impossible to move your head around. Is there any plan to implement something similar to the game?

Don't move your head while pulling G. There ya go!

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

• 2 weeks later...

I looked around on my viper B incentive ride all the way up to 8.9, and never had an issue with moving and looking wherever I wanted, I was retiring at age 39 at the time.  My pilot was 26 and he was soaked in sweat even worse than I was when we came back 2.5 hours later.  At 8.9 the only thing that happened was my left eye lost color for a millisecond.  I can tell you what you don't do or can't do is sit still, instinct itself has you fighting it and you squeeze and strain with everything you got, moving as much as you possible can sure helps, that includes your head and neck.  He told me he was surprised how much an old bastard like me could take, we sort of knew each other fairly well.

I was used to pulling lower levels of G while standing on my feet doing drops in Starlizards and Herc's in my 20's while all geared up and even heavier, that was actually much worse to me, but I got paid to stay in the plane and open and shut the doors.  Some of our guys ended up with back injuries and broken tail bones doing that, all part of that career field.  Do that for a decade or so and you have a life time immunity from ever getting air or motion sickness.  That certainly helped, much of the ability to pull G is mindset, how well do you know your own comfort levels and limits.  Guys who are pros and do it regular don't even notice it, it's just another small part of the job, not the focus.  A newby coming in for just a ride, it's going to be the single focal point when you pass their threshold.

• Like 2

It’s realistic to be able to turn and look

• Like 2

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

22 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

It’s realistic to be able to turn and look

That not a 9g turn!

MY SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel pentium 3 @ 800 MHz, 256 Mb RAM, Geforce 2 64Mb, Dell screen 1024x768 + Microsoft sidewhiner joystick + TrackIR 2 + TrackClitPro SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 98, Noice Attack & VIASAT PRO, SnackView

12 minutes ago, Skyracer said:

That not a 9g turn!

Well he’s pulling some Gs for sure. @Nodakabove said he could turn his head at 9Gs

It’s no use trying to force head movement effort in a PC sim, it would just make VR players sick. 

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

42 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

Well he’s pulling some Gs for sure. @Nodakabove said he could turn his head at 9Gs

It’s no use trying to force head movement effort in a PC sim, it would just make VR players sick. 

Their is no proof that he actually is a real fighter pilot. 

35 minutes ago, Skyracer said:

Their is no proof that he actually is a real fighter pilot. 

Well again, there’s no point in worrying about this effect in the game, it can’t be simulated. Unless you want force-feedback VR headsets 😆

Edited by SharpeXB
  • Like 1

I was never a fighter pilot, was a Loadmaster in two different types C-141B's C-130A, B/E, and finished as engineer in C-130B/E.  It was an incentive ride for retirement, I ended my last few years as flightline working MOC.  That makes it even more evident, an old man non-fighter pilot can do it.  I have an official "magic carpet ride" certificate proving I did it, but I ain't going to dig it out, cause I don't give a rip.

Also rode two sorties in T-33 back seat, and two in the mighty F-4D Phantom II.  The perks of going to the required altitude chamber sessions when your a trash hauler and integrated into a ANG fighter squadron.  But the ViperB was the real ride with a full AHM sortie.  For those of you who never worked the MOC or debrief, that's a Advance Handling and Maneuver sortie.  Most Air Force dudes don't even know that specific type of sortie exists, cause it gets very rarely logged.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 5/7/2022 at 2:48 AM, SharpeXB said:

Well again, there’s no point in worrying about this effect in the game, it can’t be simulated. Unless you want force-feedback VR headsets 😆

hmmmm   3d printing idea...... helmet... elastic cord.. stepper motors..... = brain tumor

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x [OC_4700Mhz  1.27v All Core],   AMD Rx6700XT 12GB,    32Gb DDR4_3200 CL16,    M.2_NVMe(OS) + 1TB M.2 SSD for DCS install ,    Delan opentrack IR,    QHD 1440p@75Mhz 32" HDR Monitor.

Hotas heavy modded  T.Flight Hotas One - 3D printed Mods. 3D Printed Pedals 3D prinded Delan Clip, Future mods…Upgrade T.flight to Hall sensors…more switches….F-16 ICP,  Spitfire/Mossie switch labels and future Athentikit Spit Mk iX controls.

• 1 month later...

I'm a bit late to this part, but the #1 Rule, the Holy VR Bible First Commandment, is "Never hijack the camera" - 100% guaranteed to make players sick and hate your game, even for people like myself who ordinarily never get sick in VR