Editor revamp?

jimiC

Ok so i know it hasnt been out long but im starting to see the mission editor as inherently weak. Certainly weaker than similar 'sim' software products such as steel beasts pro pe and armed assault.

The triggers available, the actions and rules are all limited and the ability to 'script' actions of AI is suffering as a result.

2 of the biggest limitations:

No way to create MP phased campaigns, and linked to this

b) end missions with 'mission end' triggers and hence no defined ends to MP missions and debreifs

Mission end triggers (which can also be used for other event triggers ) include things like: total points scored (user defined) overall casualties reached (as a % of force size), time limits. Side based blue/red zone triggers (currently its only unit/group)

also

- Theres no ability to use triggers to allow a single group to choose one of multiple waypoint strings (only option i can see to replicate this is to make multiple groups of the same composition that pretend to be the same group doing one of many possible things) This is an important one because of the cpu load of spawning groups constantly .

Questions:

Is the editor going to see more attention to its design in the near future?

Is there any ability to script missions like in armed assault. are any of the above doable with scripting?

correct of if any of these things are available im just not seeing them

it is planned to develop the ME further and further. they have it already on the list to implement more functions for future modules, maybe even add some stuff by patch.

actually, the most important thing is to make the SP triggers work all for the MP, and ED confirmed to be working on it... so times will become better and better *fingers crossed*

Democracy is choice, not freedom...

The Command Center down mission that I recently uploaded has multiple random scenarios and outcomes in addition to triggers to prompt you to re-load and return to finish the mission or announce "Mission Success" depending on the outcome.

There are certainly improvements to be made in this editor, however, after spending some time workig with this editor, it certainly does a lot more than I first imagined it could.

ron

its doable, ive made my missions randomised also, but it requires things like group activations which can cause CPU chunder etc and once the group is activated it has only one route to follow. Theres an easier way it just needs to be implemented. Best example i can think of for triggers and mission end conditions is steel beasts pro pe.

*** TO EAGLE DYNAMICS ***

There is much room for improvement with the ME. Here are my suggestions, some can be easily implemented, others not. I sure hope some of these suggestions will make it into the next patch.

1.) Selections, copy & paste. It would be great if we could use the mouse to select, copy and paste units. For example, Someone spends a bunch of time making a FARP. They decide they want to have more than one FARP so instead of doing the whole process over again they could just make a selection box around the FARP units and then they would be "selected". Then the user hits CTRL+C and the units are copied to memory. They de-select the units, click on the area they want the clone placed and hit CTRL+V and wholla, all the units they selected and copied are now the same distance from each other and a bunch of time is saved. This would also be handy for creating multiple clients, copy and paste units, waypoints, targets, etc.

2.) Realtime 3D object placements. Instead of placing a object in the 2D editor and loading the simulation to see where it actuly ended up, it would be awesome if we could place the units in the real 3D world. Mission development time goes way down and mission quality goes way up!!

3.) Auto-rotation (not the emergency landing). If you go out into the cyber crimea and play on a server without a admin you will notice that the mission never ends. If it did, the server wouldn't select a new one. Being on a server without a admin there to select new missions brings this glorious combat simulator down to a very boring helocopter simulator. Please make the dedicated server listen for the mission to say "ok i'm done" and have it allow the users to play the next mission.

4.) Static objects. Please allow destructable static objects. When we place aircraft or other items that should explode when a vicker impacts it please allow it to go boom.

This is a great simulation for sure. The only thing it needs is CONTENT. If the game doesn't allow the community to make FREE QUALITY content that will ultimatly boost ED's sales revenue then people will get bored with it along with military simulations. If you want to see a quality mission editor check out Armed Assault and see if you guys can incorporate some of those goodies.

Thanks for making a great game!

I noticed the Merge function is missing now.....was there a problem with it in this editor? It was kind of a roundabout way to copy and paste from a previous mission but still allowed to place pre planned templated flight plans and groups.

There we were....two against a thousand.....so what'd we do....Shotem' both!!!!

Intel core I5-9600, GB RTX 2080TI@2050Mhz, Asus ROG Strix Z390, 32GB G.Skill ddr4 3000 Ram. 40" Philips 4K monitor, HP Reverb, Vive Pro, Rift CV1, TMWH and SimXperience Motion Sim, Lime green jocks, Jack Daniels 1770, 2 packs Marlborough, etc etc etc...:megalol:

The Command Center down mission that I recently uploaded has multiple random scenarios and outcomes in addition to triggers to prompt you to re-load and return to finish the mission or announce "Mission Success" depending on the outcome.

There are certainly improvements to be made in this editor, however, after spending some time workig with this editor, it certainly does a lot more than I first imagined it could.

ron

ron, I think you need to make us a new campaign and sell it for 10 bucks, paypal. Give us all the seasons and show us the interesting places on the map.

Either that or DCS should contract you to do so.

I suspect the engine is there, but the current selection of missions is limited and Georgian Oil War is well......an even steeper curve than learning all the systems and getting the hotas going. The worst part is that you end up playing the same missions in the same locations----jeez if I loose I expect my base to be overrun and my line to fall back, not to be sent off to destroy the same tanks in the same place again.

please keep your single missions coming.

Edited by uhoh7

E8600 Asus P5E Radeon 4870x2 Corsair 4gb Velociraptor 300gb Neopower 650 NZXT Tempest Vista64 Samsung 30" 2560x1600

As said before, you're just doing it wrong.

The Georgian Oil campaign is structured such that you should be playing a different mission depending on your success rate - if you're constantly fluttering between two missions, you need to change up -your- game, because you're obviously doing something to bump you between those two.

The ONLY time you could possible repeat the same mission over again is if you score an exact 50 points in the mission and even then it is only a 1 in 4 chance. When you lose a mission (below 50 points) you go back to the previous stage and play the "defensive" mission created for that stage.

Each stage generally has a "defensive" mission, a "kicked butt" mission (85-100 points), and two "success" missions (51-84).

Also, the Grand Campaign includes all four seasons.

Edited by GGTharos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

It lacks performance as well.. tends to get a lill laggy at some points.. is there an option for the height lines? so i can switch em off.. see if thats the problem.. hmmm..

its pretty good though.. OH..

another question!

how can i edit the factions.. i made a lot of SP missions in Lock On (FC) but i cant figure this out D:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team

The Oil War campaign was designed for higher-end machines. This campaign models an entire front with many units to provide a more believable combat operation area. While the hardware loading can be much higher than smaller campaigns, we wanted to give players the option for both types. A common complaint about Lock On was that the missions felt sterile and not much going on outside the immediate mission area. This campaign in large part was built to address that.

The campaign can also be difficult, so don't feel shy about using cheats like labels until you really get the hang of using your on-board systems and wingmen.

As GG indicated, the only time you can play the same mission back-to-back is if you select the Fly Again option. When you lose a mission (below 50 points), you automatically go back one stage and as such the front line moves back as well. In such a situation, you will be provided a "defensive" mission. If you succeed in the mission (51-100 points), there are one of three missions in the next stage that you could be assigned and the front line moves forward. In the briefing of each mission you can see the current front line and this will move back and forth as you win and lose stages.

Please take the time to read the campaign section of the manual to understand the mechanics of it before posting untrue posts.

Regarding improvements to the ME, please understand that the ME is a work in progress and will continue to develop with new features as the DCS line evolves. Even right now the team is working hard on many new improvements to the system.

Thanks,

Matt

Edited by Wags

As GG indicated, the only time you can play the same mission back-to-back is if you select the Fly Again option. When you lose a mission (below 50 points), you automatically go back one stage and as such the front line moves back as well. In such a situation, you will be provided a "defensive" mission. If you succeed in the mission (51-100 points), there are one of three missions in the next stage that you could be assigned and the front line moves forward. In the briefing of each mission you can see the current front line and this will move back and forth as you win and lose stages.

"I've been hammering away at chapter one, 12 or 13 missions flown so far with one restart[NOT COUNTING RECOVERIES OR REFLIES].

I'm still pretty bad, so I have it set to recover if I am killed, and I refly if I do not acomplish stated goals. [i KNOW I WILL BE FLYING THE SAME MISSION IF I RECOVER--THAT IS NOT THE ISSUE]

In all these missions [NOT COUNTING RECOVERIES] I have seen only three locations, and some variation of forces.

Several missions ago, along the coast I wiped out the enemy forward line and pretty much every thing between the front and rear enemy lines. [TAKING OUT THE TARGETS I WAS ASSIGNED IN BRIEFING]

Three missions later I am directed to the same location with almost identical forces. Again I take out everything.[iNCLUDING ASSIGNED TARGETS] My column can not proceed because a wreck is blocking their path however.

I finish and examine the next mission. An exact repeat of the mission I flew before this one.

What is especially non-immersive is to see the exact same forces in the same poisitons after they have been previously taken out.

Reading the GUI, I'm guessing my score is below 51.

From my perspective, to hold interest in the campaign, I expect my forces to advance if the enemy has been taken out, and to move to new locations for battle. OR ----jeez if I loose I expect my base to be overrun and my line to fall back, not to be sent off to destroy the same tanks in the same place again [OBVIOUSLY I MUST BE "GOING BACK A STAGE"]

I think the guts are in place to create a campaign which is user friendly and will hold the interest of new pilots. However, the Georgian chapter one is frankly not set up in a way which draws me in[AS A NEW PILOT]---very unforgiving and highly repetitive if you fail."

GG seems to think I am stating that I'm flying the same missions back to back--despite what I wrote. Both you and GG seem annoyed at honest feedback from somebody who has anticipated the product for years and bought both russian and english versions. I think you guys think we all have as many hours in this bird as you---and therefore will experience the campaign as you do.

Edited by uhoh7

E8600 Asus P5E Radeon 4870x2 Corsair 4gb Velociraptor 300gb Neopower 650 NZXT Tempest Vista64 Samsung 30" 2560x1600

• ED Team

I think the discrepancy lies in the fact that Wags and GG are interested in a realistic campaign in terms of military adcancement in such an area as Georgia while you wish to see actual advancement of your troops with long distances being taken by your armies in case of a actual sucessful mission.

Personally i prefer realistic campaigns.

I guess to bring this back on topic...

my consolidated list of inclusions into the editor, things that imo are simply required to make it really robust and help users generate quality missions are:

-multiple and branching waypoint strings from one unit or group

-ability to make waypoint activation rules and corresponding actions ( stop, scan, formation, wait, engage etc)

-triggers to include red/blue and [x] units of red/blue rules (such that its not required to go through list all the possible permutations and computations of units in zones for eg)

- random variables (say x y z) where their value is set on mission start to a number between 0 and 100 (this creates an easy to use % chance probability ruleset that can be applied to all units or events at the same time.)

- % group casualtie rules

- group /unit under fire rule

- mission end rules and actions

- use defined zone shapes. (easy as making them either elipitcal or square with user defined LxW values )

bonus inclusions :

- Inbuilt Tactical graphics tools for creating briefings and overlays

- inbuilt orbat and chain of command tools for easy and organised naming and labelling of units

I think the discrepancy lies in the fact that Wags and GG are interested in a realistic campaign in terms of military adcancement in such an area as Georgia while you wish to see actual advancement of your troops with long distances being taken by your armies in case of a actual sucessful mission.

Personally i prefer realistic campaigns.

I'm sure the GOC is quite realistic when you progress. When you suck however, as I do, you deal with three identical battle locations over and over an over.

There is some variation in forces. Tonite I was tasked to destroy a command vehicle along the coast, as i have been several times in the past. The first attempt there were two other ka-50s along with us---that was new, i had not seen them before.

It's a tricky task becasue the waypoints take you right over air defenses. The logical thing to do is skirt the radar ring offshore and shoot standing off. I am wondering if this looses points because I have altered the flight plan. The long and the short of it was several mishaps, recovered once and reflew once----trying to get this one right. My last reflight I got the command vehicle, and also the secondary, but botched my landing with an accicdental trim incident.

Result I am "back a stage" at the concrete strip again with another mission I am very familiar with.

I don't care to be moving vast distances, it's just the frustration factor is increased when tasks are the same and locations are the same as I flew several missions ago.

It would be nice to just move ahead for some variety while I'm learning, if the campaign is not set up for a series of defensive setback missions where tasks and locations are varied.

PS OK I now see I can open any campaign mission---which will let me move around and stop complaining, hehe.

What is striking in viewing the campaign missions from mission selections is how many are based on confrontation in the same areas. My suggestion would be a little more variation. Even a few K here or or there. For example every "p3" mission in chapter one has an identical choke point. The "p2s" all have the same tanks guarding the exact same forward line. Other forces in these missions vary, but the identical bits stand out.

Nothing's perfect I guess, and I do apreciate the great sim and the help in this forum.

all the best

Edited by uhoh7

my consolidated list of inclusions into the editor, things that imo are simply required to make it really robust and help users generate quality missions are:

-ability to make waypoint activation rules and corresponding actions ( stop, scan, formation, wait, engage etc)

-triggers to include red/blue and [x] units of red/blue rules (such that its not required to go through list all the possible permutations and computations of units in zones for eg)

- random variables (say x y z) where their value is set on mission start to a number between 0 and 100 (this creates an easy to use % chance probability ruleset that can be applied to all units or events at the same time.)

- use defined zone shapes. (easy as making them either elipitcal or square with user defined LxW values )

bonus inclusions :

- inbuilt orbat and chain of command tools for easy and organised naming and labelling of units

These are also my absolutely favoured rules. 100% ack

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

360th TFW Falconeers

last video ->

ASUS P6X58D Premium, Intel Core i7 920, 6GB DDR3, SAPPHIRE TOXIC HD 5850, Win7 64 Bit. X52, Track IR 4, Momo Racing.

ArmA1+2+3, DCS: World, K-50, A-10C, CA, P-51D, UH-1H, Mi-8FC1+2+3, FalconAF, FC1+FC2, IL2'46, rFactor.

I'm sure the GOC is quite realistic when you progress. When you suck however, as I do, you deal with three identical battle locations over and over an over.

I think I understand where your frustration comes from.

Step one: Stop sucking :D

Ok, ok - no rotten vegetables please!

Let me explain a bit how the stages are created.

Each stage is created out of mission template. Meaning, for each stage a 'master mission' is made, which is modified to create the 4 missions of that stage. This is why things look the same.

If you are losing say, stage 3 and being thrown back to stage 2, but you always win stage 2, you will 'flutter' between those two stages and things will seem the same because each of the 4 missions in those stages was made with each template's master mission.

While it would have been possible to include far more missions in the stage, unfortunately Wags only has so much time on his hands. :)

Nothing's perfect I guess, and I do apreciate the great sim and the help in this forum.

all the best

I have two suggestions for you, and I strongly suggest you do it in this order; believe me, it may sound boring, but you'll be so busy trying to fly correct parameters you won't notice.

1) Practice steady flight with your heli. Do some standard 15, 30, 60 deg bank turns one by one, and try to do them such that your nose doesn't bounce, and your altitude remains level - including after the rollout (you don't have to get it exactly perfect, but don't accept huge deviations, ie more than say 10m).

2) Practice rolling out within a few degrees of desired heading.

3) Practice maintaining altitude and speed in a turn.

4) Practice getting the heli to stop in a hover where YOU want.

5) Practice spotting good hiding spots and flying to them and hiding in them.

Master these one by one, then take on the oil campaign. Do it deliberately and with a lot of premeditation and you'll do ok.

Don't worry about the time it takes - if you find yourself doing the above wrong and getting bored, just put a few rockets into something, then resume ;) Don't accept suck!!!

Another thing to consider, and this is an idea from Wags in fact - you can add more missions to those stages yourself, and players could make the campaign truly ... big and very dynamic feeling. Just try to take care missions that are in the spirit of the campaign (ie. pick one out of a stage to use as a template, then modify it to create your own mission, etc) in order to maintain a consistent feeling.

Mind you you can move forces etc around as much as you like, since the system is very open.

The Grand Campaign spans 26 stages with four missions each with the set up as described before:

One defensive mission (if you scored 0-50% in the mission you just flew)

Two success missions (51-84%, which one you fly is chosen randomly)

One 'kicked ass' mission (85-100%)

You could obviously add a lot more missions to each category.

In addition, in each mission ADA units are on Random triggers.

A lot of artillery (Self Propelled, and MRL) are also mostly on random triggers as well.

The only exception is if the unit/group is a mission target.

Each stage has a front line location which is denoted in the briefing screen as well.

This campaign was created to be a bit more challenging at the simulation level to challenge more experienced players - so I would also recommend you play with some of the options like invulnerability, infinite ammo etc - to balance things out against your current skill level.

Edited by GGTharos
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

jimiC, excellent ideas, and I would imagine they're already on the internal wish list.

As has been mentioned before, what you see is ME v1.00, and it will only get better from here. You might not always see your pet trigger/option/whatever implemented right away - it might take a while, but I think eventually there will a LOT of tools on top of what is there already :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

bonus inclusions :

All very good suggestions that are also high on my list.

Alternative waypoints are important to create cause and effect actions. If X is triggered, proceed with alternate route B or go to alternate waypoint B3. Can be used to let units retreat if losses are too high or reposition for a new threat/mission.

Also the rule system needs more syntax options. Currently everything is 'and'. Stuff like 'or' and 'and not' is needed. Lots can be done currently by combining multiple triggers that set flags, but is its cumbersome. And as jimiC says more unit options for the rules are needed (any unit/any unit of side/any unit of group/all units/all units of side/all units of group/no unit/no unit of side/no unit of group).

I like the under fire rule, it would allow to simulate suppressive fire (if it is not yet hardcoded into AI).

Detection should be added as rule (X detects Y). Could be used to activate air defenses and simulate recon. Could be used to script artillery fire.

A 'set position' function for various actions. For example set position of alternate waypoint B2 to current position of unit X, or set position of target point for group X as position of unit Y. Can be used to simulate on call artillery or dynamically send reinforcements to the correct location. Set position could not only get the position data from a units location but also from the location of a sensor lock of a player aircraft (call artillery on Shkval position).

A custom radio command trigger would be neat. Radio command F8 (or what comes after the last one we have) opens a new radio menu where the options can be defined in the editor. Can be used to trigger whatever is needed.

Custom trigger area shapes and symbols/text in editor are also very important for me.

I guess this is all more or less known at ED but I guess it can't hurt to repeat it every now and then. Compared to Lock On, I am already very happy with what it is Black Shark. I spend the last 10 hours of BS in the editor, building my first big ground engagement. I have recon units that hold fire and pull back when taking hits, artillery that depends on recon units holding their position, tanks taking hull down positions then retreat to their next battle position after firing some shots etc. It all takes immense time to place by hand and tune and is very strictly orchestrated, but once the battle unfolds it is a awesome sight. Compared to Lock On this are worlds of difference.

I think I understand where your frustration comes from.

Step one: Stop sucking :D

Ok, ok - no rotten vegetables please!

Let me explain a bit how the stages are created.

Each stage is created out of mission template. Meaning, for each stage a 'master mission' is made, which is modified to create the 4 missions of that stage. This is why things look the same.

If you are losing say, stage 3 and being thrown back to stage 2, but you always win stage 2, you will 'flutter' between those two stages and things will seem the same because each of the 4 missions in those stages was made with each template's master mission.

While it would have been possible to include far more missions in the stage, unfortunately Wags only has so much time on his hands. :)

I have two suggestions for you, and I strongly suggest you do it in this order; believe me, it may sound boring, but you'll be so busy trying to fly correct parameters you won't notice.

1) Practice steady flight with your heli. Do some standard 15, 30, 60 deg bank turns one by one, and try to do them such that your nose doesn't bounce, and your altitude remains level - including after the rollout (you don't have to get it exactly perfect, but don't accept huge deviations, ie more than say 10m).

2) Practice rolling out within a few degrees of desired heading.

3) Practice maintaining altitude and speed in a turn.

4) Practice getting the heli to stop in a hover where YOU want.

5) Practice spotting good hiding spots and flying to them and hiding in them.

Master these one by one, then take on the oil campaign. Do it deliberately and with a lot of premeditation and you'll do ok.

Don't worry about the time it takes - if you find yourself doing the above wrong and getting bored, just put a few rockets into something, then resume ;) Don't accept suck!!!

Another thing to consider, and this is an idea from Wags in fact - you can add more missions to those stages yourself, and players could make the campaign truly ... big and very dynamic feeling. Just try to take care missions that are in the spirit of the campaign (ie. pick one out of a stage to use as a template, then modify it to create your own mission, etc) in order to maintain a consistent feeling.

Mind you you can move forces etc around as much as you like, since the system is very open.

The Grand Campaign spans 26 stages with four missions each with the set up as described before:

One defensive mission (if you scored 0-50% in the mission you just flew)

Two success missions (51-84%, which one you fly is chosen randomly)

One 'kicked ass' mission (85-100%)

You could obviously add a lot more missions to each category.

In addition, in each mission ADA units are on Random triggers.

A lot of artillery (Self Propelled, and MRL) are also mostly on random triggers as well.

The only exception is if the unit/group is a mission target.

Each stage has a front line location which is denoted in the briefing screen as well.

This campaign was created to be a bit more challenging at the simulation level to challenge more experienced players - so I would also recommend you play with some of the options like invulnerability, infinite ammo etc - to balance things out against your current skill level.

GG thank you for the excellent input and advice. I used to build quite a few missions in the early days of Il2 and flanker 2. Last nite I read more in gui manual about the mission builder, and opened several campaign missions, examining triggers, zones etc.

There are many features in there which are big steps forward from anything I have used. I love the FAC messages, hehe.

The tutorial is quite good in the gui manual as well.

Obviously a good mission will take some time to make, let alone a new campaign, so I would just encourage ED and DCS to nurture and recognise those with the time and talent to really put those tools to work.

My apologies for going off a bit--I'm pent up after all these years of no new sims. Thanks for your patience.

Merry christmas to all.

jimiC, excellent ideas, and I would imagine they're already on the internal wish list.

As has been mentioned before, what you see is ME v1.00, and it will only get better from here. You might not always see your pet trigger/option/whatever implemented right away - it might take a while, but I think eventually there will a LOT of tools on top of what is there already :)

oh i hope they ahve thought of them. it was more just putting it out there in case theres one or a few they just didnt think of and they say 'oh tahts a good idea; lets include that.'

One more thing, it would be nice if the unit names that are automatically assigned would be unique to the group. Right now every new unit you place is subsequentially called unit#1, unit#2 etc. If you are building large missions this names are worthless and you have to replace the name of each single unit you place (otherwise you can't remember if you wanted to place a trigger for Unit#53 or #74).

A better approach would be to take the group name and add the '#1' to that. For example you name the group 'T-80 A-1', then the first unit of that group is automatically called 'T-80 A-1 #1' etc.

While waiting for the spanish version release i am super excited about the mission editor (even more than the game itself!). I have read the manuals and i think the ME could add a changing waypoints/behaviours of AI units if some conditions are meet.

For example you could assign a waypoint route to an armored group to patrol a determinated area, then if unit(s) are damaged activate an escape waypoint route, or if not player(unit) for X time within armored group trigger zone; active another route (perhaps to attack an area or forward advancement),

This type of changing behaviours and waypoints while in battle could make every AI unit very flexible and alive; you could send groups to defend other groups if they are under attack, you could merge forces depending on battle situation, you could retreat or advance depending on enemy movements and so on. Battle could be very dinamyc itself and AI units could have multiple behaviours; defensive, agresive, tactical movement , all depending on how the things are developing.

I know some of those behaviours can be reproduced with the actual ME, but i think it will require a lot of work and using several tricks, timing and loads of time to coordinate.

As I found out, a lot of very neat ground action can be tightly scripted by good selection of waypoints, unit speed and timing. I am currently building a mission and had one platoon of German expert Leopard 2 tanks defending against 2 companies of average T-80. Through the use of hull down positions, retreats and bounding overwatch, the Leos took down 11 tanks before being knocked out. Pretty cool :)

But of course I completely agree, more tools and options are definitely needed.