Workaround for increased performance

Some might already know this, but for those who don't:
If you have a system with enough RAM and CPU cores, you can increase performance on AI heavy missions notably by running a local DCS Server and playing in multiplayer mode. This will offload AI stuff to another core on the server process, giving you client process more time to deal with graphics and IO.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, MSI MEG x570 Unify, G.Skill 128GB DDR4-3200, MSI RTX3090 Ventus 3x 24GB, Samsung PCIe 4.0 M.2 1TB 980 Pro, Seagate PCIe 4.0 M.2 2TB FireCuda 520, Quest 3

5 hours ago, Buzzer1977 said:

If you have a system with enough RAM and CPU cores, you can increase performance on AI heavy missions notably by running a local DCS Server and playing in multiplayer mode. This will offload AI stuff to another core on the server process, giving you client process more time to deal with graphics and IO.

Tested and approved. Some SP missions cause a lot of lag, and this method proves to be very effective.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Been doing this for a good while now. All the same, well worth reminding people of the capability

• Like 1

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

33 minutes ago, codenamepanzer said:

could you give step by step the way to create a server, and play on this server ? the 2 DCS applications running on the same rig.

Sure. Here you go:

1. Create a shortcut to your DCS.exe
  2. Edit the shortcut target so it looks like this: "C:\the_path_of_your_game\bin\DCS.exe" --norender --server -w DCS.mylocalserver
  3. Launch the server using this shortcut
  4. Go to the "WebGUI" folder of your game and open index.html: you're now facing the DCS server web admin page.
  5. Connect the WebGUI to your server (you have to wait for the green dot to be able to connect), then load the mission of your choice.
  6. Launch your usual DCS client and connect to your local server (127.0.0.1:10308 by default).

I know it works for coop missions (wiht 'Client' slots) but I'm not sure it works for strictly SP missions (with 'Player' slots). If it doesn'nt work, you'll have to edit the mission and replace the aircraft 'Player' skill with a 'Client' skill.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Buzzer1977 said:

I've been doing this for about a couple of years now. Really makes a difference with Liberation missions. It's a bit of a pain to set up, but worth it. 

• Like 2

I9-9900KS OC 5.2, Asus Maximus XI Hero, MSI RTX 4090 , EVGA 1200W P2 power supply, 2TB M.2 SSD, 64GB ram@3200mhz, Corsair H115i Pro AIO, Samsung Odyssey+, Reverb G2, Quest 3(new)

Hello,  I did all things above, setup a server, launched a mission on it, connect from a client, choose a slot, press briefing and...wait, wait wait but never went into cockpit...Same thing if I change player by client in the mission...Any idea ?

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

6 hours ago, Flappie said:

What mission are you on? I can give it a go if you want.

I did more testing : I had the problem only with 1 mission, I copied/paste other mission and it worked without any editing. I win ~10 fps on 100 in 2D.

Thanks for the proposal, anyway.

Edited by lefuneste01

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

Many thanks for this tip, Buzzer and Flappie!

With an i7700k and a 3080Ti, I am definitely CPU-bound. I was having problems in getting acceptable frame rates in VR with a Rift S on the Through The Inferno Syria SP missions, but using this trick I am now getting a solid 40 fps (previously, it would drop as low as 20...).

And it seems to work with 'Client' and not just 'Player' slots, too.

Edited by paulferris
forgot a point
  • Like 2

On 4/8/2022 at 1:02 PM, Flappie said:

Sure. Here you go:

1. Create a shortcut to your DCS.exe
  2. Edit the shortcut target so it looks like this: "C:\the_path_of_your_game\bin\DCS.exe" --norender --server -w DCS.mylocalserver
  3. Launch the server using this shortcut
  4. Go to the "WebGUI" folder of your game and open index.html: you're now facing the DCS server web admin page.
  5. Connect the WebGUI to your server (you have to wait for the green dot to be able to connect), then load the mission of your choice.
  6. Launch your usual DCS client and connect to your local server (127.0.0.1:10308 by default).

I know it works for coop missions (wiht 'Client' slots) but I'm not sure it works for strictly SP missions (with 'Player' slots). If it doesn'nt work, you'll have to edit the mission and replace the aircraft 'Player' skill with a 'Client' skill.

I may be mistaken, but it can work a lot simpler than that. Just open DCS regulary. Go to Multiplayer, host a mission, load your desired mission (with client slot) and jump in.

When doing this, I see more cores utilized than when open the same mission from "missions" in single player.

I haven't done thorough (performance) testing on that approach. But since it isn't much work - worth a try, I think. Will try the local server approach too, though.

Edit: Any suggestions on a good testing mission for that?

Edited by Hiob

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

40 minutes ago, Hiob said:

Edit: Any suggestions on a good testing mission for that?

Yes, try the  Hind 'Disaster Relief Defense' instant action mission in Persian Gulf.

If you own the Hind of course.

3 hours ago, Flappie said:

Yes, try the  Hind 'Disaster Relief Defense' instant action mission in Persian Gulf.

If you own the Hind of course.

3 hours ago, Flappie said:

Then maybe try what @Hiob suggested.

Nope, sorry. Didn't make any difference. At least not in this mission. Same severe FPS-drops - with the added downside of being incapable of switching cockpits.

The scripting hick ups in this mission are the worst I ever encountered though... 😅

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

17 hours ago, Convexrook said:

No dice with the steam version 😞 only one client can run at a time

Works also with steam if you install the server from ed in parallel. The server installer will detect your steam version and only install the necessary files to run the server in parallel. 

AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, MSI MEG x570 Unify, G.Skill 128GB DDR4-3200, MSI RTX3090 Ventus 3x 24GB, Samsung PCIe 4.0 M.2 1TB 980 Pro, Seagate PCIe 4.0 M.2 2TB FireCuda 520, Quest 3

This can also be done if you have a spare computer/laptop to use as the "DCS server".  You don't need to have a beefy one and not even a good GPU.  Just install the server version, hook it up on you local network and there you go.  The server version has all the maps, no extra cost.  You can setup a network drive on you "play" computer pointing to the mission folder on the server and do your ME work without having to jump from one pc to the other.  I also setup a teamviewer session from my "play" PC to the server, this way I can pause the mission remotely without having to get up to go the server.  Squeezing every bit of performance possible.

• Like 1

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB, ADDLINK S72 2TB, TM WARTHOG COMBO + PENDULAR RUDDER PEDALS, PIMAX 8K X, Sony 5.1 Spks+SubW | DCS OB, A-10C_II, AH-64D, F-14/16/18, F-86F, AV-8B, M-2000C, SA342, Huey, Spitfire, FC3.

OK, so I tried this, and a window with the DCSWorld logo comes up, but it won't let me start the server, and it's forcing me to use my public IP, and won't let me change it.

That said, I have the Steam version, which appears from a few posts won't work with this, but I have no issues whatsoever switching to the "native" (for lack of a better term) one, so long as I don't have to pay for my DLC again, which consists of the F/A-18C, the Persian Gulf map, the Supercarrier, the free Mariana Islands map, and the Raven One campaign.

How do I switch over, and am I better off using the native version aside from being able to run this server for the AI?  

38 minutes ago, KevyKevTPA said:

OK, so I tried this, and a window with the DCSWorld logo comes up, but it won't let me start the server, and it's forcing me to use my public IP, and won't let me change it.

That said, I have the Steam version, which appears from a few posts won't work with this, but I have no issues whatsoever switching to the "native" (for lack of a better term) one, so long as I don't have to pay for my DLC again, which consists of the F/A-18C, the Persian Gulf map, the Supercarrier, the free Mariana Islands map, and the Raven One campaign.

How do I switch over, and am I better off using the native version aside from being able to run this server for the AI?  

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/147273-switch-from-steam-to-standalone/

old post but still viable.

• Like 1

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain